OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
geohot.jpg

Directly from GeoHot's blog:
As promised, all left over legal defense money, plus a little to bump it to a nice number, has been sent to the EFF. Thank you all so much for your support, without it, things could have been much worse.

This money goes to the EFF in hopes that America can one day again be a shining example of freedom, free of the DMCA and ACTA, and that private interest will never trump the ideas laid out in the constitution of privacy, ownership, and free speech.

At the end of the day, something I take comfort in. The PS3 got OWNED.
"Once the code works they'll never be able to take it away from us."

Will you be continuing your work on Sony products anonymously?
Nah. As much as I don't respect the goons at Sony, I do respect the court.

Will future research on Sony products be chilled?
Nah. If you piss them off enough for them to pull out the legal team and their million dollar checkbook, worst thing that happens is you have to super swear to never do it again.

Will Sony do a better job with security next time?
LOL, I think they'll do a lot worse. It wouldn't surprise me if the people who did PS3 security were fired. And I'm curious as to who Sony is hiring for NGP security. Lawyers? Get the code to sign a contract that it won't have exploits? You shouldn't piss off the community of people who are actually talented at this stuff. Hell, maybe you even pissed off your engineering employees enough to leave some nice backdoors?[/p]
icon11.gif
Source (Geohot's Blog)

Z

Zorua

He could've donated the money to graf and Kakarotoks.
Meh, in the end it's his money.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Slyakin said:
Yay.

Can we move on now? I hate seeing this sellout in the USN.
Sellout? Oh well, I'll just stopping news altogheter, if you see this as a sellout.
It's a fact that the temp "loves" GeoHot, and I thought it could've been interesting to post something more about him, since it always generates much discussion.

Nevermind, so much for a good "idea", I guess.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am not quite understanding the hate*- granted I probably would not share a beer with the guy or would at least feel very conflicted were it to happen (thinking things like a professional lunch) and I agree he has made some interesting choices but for it to turn to outright hate is something I can not see justified.

Also @Livin in a box the EFF do quite a bit of good work beyond "just" standing up for the odd hacker when a company or government decide to throw their weight around a bit. They do quite a bit to try and lose or lessen the effects of bad laws on the matters of privacy, intellectual property and related subjects and attempt to prevent them from getting passed.
Again they have some interesting ideas and I certainly say I disagree with some of their ideas and methods but they are still very much a net positive. Equally they are about the closest thing the "hacker community" as it were have to a proper lobby group in the US (and given the tendency for the US legal system to confuse international law with their laws and pressure others into adopting their thoughts on such matters it means there is something of a worldwide stake on the matter).

*would be fans of the thesaurus and interpretive definitions spare me.

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
LOL listen to this smug bastard. Also serious question to the Geohot Defence League: How do we know that the amount donated was under $10,000 and that he didn't pocket any left over cash/buy souvenirs?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is it weird that when I pledged my soul to Satan Jake Tretton appeared? I believed that Hussein or Bin-Laden would materialize but not the CEO of Sony...I suppose it's not surprising....

shamiko_

~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
antwill said:
LOL listen to this smug bastard. Also serious question to the Geohot Defence League: How do we know that the amount donated was under $10,000 and that he didn't pocket any left over cash/buy souvenirs?

There..

eff_receipt.png

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
raulpica said:
Slyakin said:
Yay.

Can we move on now? I hate seeing this sellout in the USN.
Sellout? Oh well, I'll just stopping news altogheter, if you see this as a sellout.
It's a fact that the temp "loves" GeoHot, and I thought it could've been interesting to post something more about him, since it always generates much discussion.

Nevermind, so much for a good "idea", I guess.
I'm not trying to offend you in any matter...

It's just that the end result of Geohot and Sony in court led us all back to square one. We basically made NO progress.

shamiko_

~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Slyakin said:
I'm not trying to offend you in any matter...

It's just that the end result of Geohot and Sony in court led us all back to square one. We basically made NO progress.

well, do you want the situation to go even further so that it satisfies you?
it could of gone worse

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I said in the last topic I would have liked to have seen something nice in the way case law and related matters (rulings on interpretations of certain laws in question) but is it not the case that the fact Sony (an entity with essentially unlimited legal financing) took someone very much not in that position to court and still walked away with next to nothing other than a fairly minor ruling against a single person.

thaddius

Charmander is not pleased.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I think he's lucky that he got off without any jailtime.

I also don't think that he deserves the scorn that he's been getting lately. He hacked the PS3 and somehow he's the bad guy? That doesn't make any sense.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: HBD 2U