Genuine GW users who bricked and sent their console to the GW team.

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by retrofan_k, Mar 10, 2014.

1. retrofan_k
    OP

retrofan_k GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 31, 2013
    Belarus
    Caves
    Has anybody heard from the GW team regarding their bricked console that they shipped to them? I only know of one user (DrMonkz) over at maxconsole who is French that sent his console to china around the same time as me back in late January. I have not seen or heard anything from him. Devin from here got a replacement (brand new European 3DS) but that is all I know.

I have personally emailed GW four times now at different intervals since the 19th February, as that was the last I heard from them, saying they were dealing with the consoles. Since then, every email has been ignored and I have even PM'd GaryOPA over at Maxconsole, since its supposed to be the "official" support forum and he is the spokesperson for GW.

Again, nothing and he apparently has access to a private email address for faster correspondence than their generic sales email address.

I know shipping to china takes a long time, yet my concerns at the moment is the pure lack of zero communication, which raises doubt of me never seeing my console again. I knew the risks involved and took the gamble but I had no choice at the time and was not in the position to wait for the unbrick method that later came to light. I'm wishing I had more patience and waited, so I could have avoided all this shit.

2. dagro

dagro GBAtemp Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    devin the reviewer got his fixed by gateway
    EDIT: got new 3ds not fixed.

3. retrofan_k
    OP

May 31, 2013
    Belarus
    Caves
    Yes, I know about that.

4. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    pose as a reseller and see if you get a response :P
    e.g
    "hello i would like to order 1000 units, can i have payment details please" :rofl2:

omarrrio likes this.
  5. Warft

Warft Say my name!

Aug 8, 2013
    United States
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Not exactly "fixed", he got a new console, not yours repaired.

6. retrofan_k
    OP

May 31, 2013
    Belarus
    Caves

Yeah, most probably respond ASAP if that was mentioned.

7. MrGT4788

MrGT4788 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 10, 2013
    Please write if you got an update regarding your unit.

8. Runehasa

Runehasa GBAtemp Regular

Oct 12, 2007
    United States
    Ohio
    Gateway thanks you for your donation

9. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States
    Well, at least they're doing something about it. Though, a replacement isn't necessarily what they promised.

So Devin got a European 3DS, and he lives in the U.S.? Whaaat, that's not cool.

10. Devin

Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus

I asked to get a 3DS XL back and mentioned it didn't matter what region it was. (Was hoping for a white Japanese 3DS XL but I'm not complaining.) I did so because they said it'd take longer to get a US 3DS XL sent to me. On the plus side I get access to the European eShop.

11. IronClouds

IronClouds GBAtemp's Pokébro

May 8, 2010
    United States
    Not to get off topic, but what advantage does this give you over being able to access the US eShop?

Edit: Aside from the occasional early game release.

12. Devin

Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus

Perhaps a demo, video, or something comes to the European eShop before the US eShop. Or DLC. Not like there's a major difference from a US unit with GW3DS being region free and my US charger working with it.

13. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    All games are free on European eshop......lol jokes, nah I think there isn't much difference maybe just odd early releases.....not sure if there is any games that are eur exclusive or something idk

14. IronClouds

IronClouds GBAtemp's Pokébro

May 8, 2010
    United States
    Yeah, I figured as much. Just making sure there wasn't something I was missing; doesn't look like there was.

Ninja'd ;)

gamesquest1 likes this.
  15. lambstone

lambstone No. Nyet. 不. Non. Nein.

Banned
    Aug 14, 2011
    Yes because at the moment, its pretty hard to source a <4.5 US 3ds outside of the US.

I was in HK for a stint couple of weeks back and it was pretty darn hard to get a <4.5 US 3ds set, all the retailers said it's near impossible to get one, they only have japanese sets or the local china sets which was <4.5, those that had a US set tended to charge through the roof for those.

Chances are GW meant it is hard to get a <4.5 US set for cheap.

16. Quicksilver88

Quicksilver88 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 26, 2013
    United States
    I know the chances are slim of bricking on an actual Gateway (apparently stay out of diagnostics), but it really annoys me that they didn't pull the damned code or fix it for their own users.

Hopefully they make good on this fix/replace for people, but I would have never tried it. It was obvious the unbrick was going to happen as the key contributors were making progress fast and sharing in posts here on these forums.

Still I give you credit for taking the risk so we can see what type of company Gateway is, or wants to be. Any way you slice it the whole fiasco is not a win for Gateway (especially their 'loyal' customers) so if we ever get 2.0 final lets hope the code is scrubbed of this bricking shit.

17. mznova

mznova GBAtemp Regular

Apr 3, 2007
    United States
    They probably wanted to keep the bricked units to test whether the bricks were occurring on specifics units. Either way, it's not like they need extra 3DSs. I'm sure you'll get it back. But I agree that the lack of communication is disappointing. I'm guessing they're avoiding all emails because of how late 2.0 has been delayed.