Genshin Impact first impressions - more than just a Breath of the Wild clone

gbatemp_first_impressions_genshin_impact.jpg

Waiting for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2 to finally come out has become an almost impossible task. With no release date in sight, the dramatic lead-up to the game's launch date could go on for who knows how many more months. But luckily, there's something out there to fill that cell-shaded open-world exploration shaped hole in our hearts: Genshin Impact.

But while labeling Genshin Impact as a Breath of the Wild clone wouldn't exactly be wrong, it'd be a disservice to the game that developer MiHoYo has created. Many of the game's elements, from its graphical style, to the concept of its open-world are very reminiscent of Nintendo's most recent Zelda game, but Genshin Impact makes unique additions to its core gameplay. In fact, it's is a weird mish-mash of all sorts of interesting ideas, many of which it mixes quite well. The game comes from a Chinese studio, but looks very much like a Japanese game, while incorporating MMO-esque elements into its gacha action-RPG gameplay.

bb.png

4.jpeg 5.jpeg 3.jpeg aa.png

The first thing you'll likely notice about Genshin Impact is the fact that the game is entirely free to play. Releasing on iOS, Android, PC, and PlayStation 4, each of those versions don't cost a single cent to play, from beginning to finish. That's because it uses a gacha-based system as a source of revenue. In your adventures throughout the world of Teyvat, you'll get the chance to play as many different characters, from great-sword wielding Diluc, to the wind archer Venti, there's a wide variety of options to choose from, but only if you're lucky enough. While you do get plenty of characters by playing normally, some of the best and most useful of the cast will only be playable if you manage to "pull" one from a banner--a lucky draw that has about a 0.6% chance of occurring. Those chances are especially harsh if you're coming from one of Nintendo's gacha games like Fire Emblem Heroes or Dragalia Lost, which have 5.0% and 4.0% odds respectively.

Despite that, Genshin is still quite friendly towards F2P players. There’s a wealth of interesting and strong 4* characters that you can obtain, and while the term free-to-play might make you skeptical of how far you can get before you’re inevitably smacked with a paywall, there’s never really a moment where the game does that--at least for the first 50 or so hours. Given how much playtime you can get out of Genshin before you even consider paying a meager $4.99/mo for the commissions pass or the $9.99/mo for the battle pass to get even more out of the game in the form of rare item drops, that’s surprisingly impressive.

PDCon82.jpeg

VDR2UN2.jpeg 2.jpg 55.jpeg 66.jpg

Speaking of impressive, the sheer amount of things there are to do in Genshin Impact can almost be intimidating. Once you've set off on your journey, you'll have no shortage of quests to complete, adventures to be had, and items to collect. Much like other open-world games, a lot of the fun comes from wandering the world, finding new locations, and obtaining rare and powerful new items.

Elements play a big part in the role of this game's combat; you start off with a wind-based one-handed sword user, but you'll eventually recruit F2P party members such as a fire-based archer, or an electric mage, each of which play drastically differently, and have many uses in the overworld, as you'll need various elements to solve puzzles or have advantages against enemies. The combat system is varied and incredibly fun, especially when you learn that you can quickly switch between characters to create cool combo attacks, like wind and fire for burning tornadoes, or electricity and water to electrocute your foes. Each of the different styles and how types factor into battle help keep the game engaging to play, and it makes it all the more satisfying when you pull off cool-looking moves, even after hours upon hours of playtime.

1dQufOz.jpeg

11.jpg 22.jpeg 33.jpeg 44.jpg
For what you get--a beautiful world to explore, interesting gameplay, and even co-op with friends--all for no cost at all, it's hard not to recommend Genshin Impact. This is perhaps microtransactions at their best; hardly impacting the overall experience, resulting in a game that feels like it should cost AAA prices, but doesn't. Fans of anything even somewhat similar to Breath of the Wild should absolutely check this game out.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Eh. Fuck gacha games. Hades is out, it's cheap, it's perfect, go play it.
Hard to argue with that, though I've already "beat" it about five times (since 1.0 released). Not that I'm otherwise starved for content, which is why I'm probably a bit overly-critical of Genshin Impact by expecting it to measure up to some of the games in my backlog.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hard to argue with that, though I've already "beat" it about five times (since 1.0 released). Not that I'm otherwise starved for content, which is why I'm probably a bit overly-critical of Genshin Impact by expecting it to measure up to some of the games in my backlog.
I'm 90 hours in, didn't get to the Epilogue yet, got 10 Heat with the Shield today. Looking forward to playing it for many weeks still.

Reactions: Xzi

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
> "More than a Breath of the Wild clone"
> First two characters I see are female, when I prefer playing as males

Yeah, no, this game's already irreparable garbage if it doesn't feature playable male characters alongside females and takes the BotW framework.

"Waiting for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2 to finally come out has become an almost impossible task"
BULLSHIT. I'd be happy if it got eternally delayed, and they had to release a brand-new traditional game instead. Fuck open-worlds with stamina and fragility.
I'd give anything for Legend of Zelda to dump the BotW wasteland, and go back to something actually interesting - we didn't need a single game in this bland, forgettable world. We certainly did not need THREE games set there.

That's because it uses a gacha-based system as a source of revenue.
Okay, so it's irreparable garbage with trash luck-based monetisation. Good to know.
This is THE biggest issue with FIFA and stuff, by the way, and it's being added into more and more games. Disgusting.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Been playing since launch on PS4 and while it has some minor annoyances and technical issues (it keeps loading the wrong voice clips and has referred to me as a girl on several occasions), it's enjoyable. Not the deepest combat but I like the elemental combo system. Graphics are bright and cheerful, though some extremely minor hitching and slowdown is a mild annoyance. The loot system isn't particularly greedy, I've got half a dozen extra characters without spending a penny so far. I can see how it would annoy a lot of people but it's really not that bad, it gives you plenty of rolls for these characters and the drop rates are, while far from ideal, at least tolerable. Plus every 5 or so crappy rolls gives you enough Stardust for a free one, plus using the 'junk' items for weapon upgrades, so even the trash drops aren't as useless as most games. Better than some crappy spray in Overwatch or something.

Overall I would recommend the game. It's free so at least check it out. Pretty big world, plenty to do, all kinds of hidden secrets and whatnot. I suspect the loot system and low drop rates on characters might get irritating in the late game when you're min/maxing for the endgame content and dungeon runs, but if all you want is a pleasant distraction from how shit reality's been lately, you could do worse.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Yeah, no, this game's already irreparable garbage if it doesn't feature playable male characters alongside females and takes the BotW framework.

BULLSHIT. I'd be happy if it got eternally delayed, and they had to release a brand-new traditional game instead. Fuck open-worlds with stamina and fragility.
I'd give anything for Legend of Zelda to dump the BotW wasteland, and go back to something actually interesting - we didn't need a single game in this bland, forgettable world. We certainly did not need THREE games set there.

Okay, so it's irreparable garbage with trash luck-based monetisation. Good to know.
This is THE biggest issue with FIFA and stuff, by the way, and it's being added into more and more games. Disgusting.

Your insecurity is so adorably blatant. I almost feel bad.

DavidKang

Trophies
XP
Country
It's like Honkai Impact but better. No competitive mode that pisses you off every week. Just your understanding of the game and your skills at controlling your character. At least... for now.

Daggot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The game is actually pretty great. Most of the depth in combat seems to come from the character switching system and using elemental combos,

Beerus

Gbatemp's God Of Destruction
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
this game is so good. the best part is they don't force the gatcha aspect down your throat and they do be giving some good freebies. would recommend if you played botw, also Lisa is coming with that BigARA~ARA energy

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
Breath of the Wild with breasts.
but that means no more twink link =(

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

jesus christ, don't write it off like it's objectively terrible just cause it ain't your thing

Reactions: Stealphie

Kaioh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really wanted to like this game, but I've found the combat to be pretty sub-par. Also the performance on my PS4 and Moqi i7s was utter trash.

Reactions: matias3ds

Seliph

Best Girl ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Music - 9
Definitely agree with the music. I was surprised by how good the soundtrack is.

HAHA okay lol

Reactions: TheCasualties

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fun fact: on PC, this game features a kernel-level anti-cheat that hates GPU passthrough virtual machines (unless you enable a thing that kills all performance). A blatant gacha slot machine with kernel-level anti-cheat. What is this world coming to.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)