Genshin Impact first impressions - more than just a Breath of the Wild clone

gbatemp_first_impressions_genshin_impact.jpg

Waiting for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2 to finally come out has become an almost impossible task. With no release date in sight, the dramatic lead-up to the game's launch date could go on for who knows how many more months. But luckily, there's something out there to fill that cell-shaded open-world exploration shaped hole in our hearts: Genshin Impact.

But while labeling Genshin Impact as a Breath of the Wild clone wouldn't exactly be wrong, it'd be a disservice to the game that developer MiHoYo has created. Many of the game's elements, from its graphical style, to the concept of its open-world are very reminiscent of Nintendo's most recent Zelda game, but Genshin Impact makes unique additions to its core gameplay. In fact, it's is a weird mish-mash of all sorts of interesting ideas, many of which it mixes quite well. The game comes from a Chinese studio, but looks very much like a Japanese game, while incorporating MMO-esque elements into its gacha action-RPG gameplay.

bb.png

4.jpeg 5.jpeg 3.jpeg aa.png

The first thing you'll likely notice about Genshin Impact is the fact that the game is entirely free to play. Releasing on iOS, Android, PC, and PlayStation 4, each of those versions don't cost a single cent to play, from beginning to finish. That's because it uses a gacha-based system as a source of revenue. In your adventures throughout the world of Teyvat, you'll get the chance to play as many different characters, from great-sword wielding Diluc, to the wind archer Venti, there's a wide variety of options to choose from, but only if you're lucky enough. While you do get plenty of characters by playing normally, some of the best and most useful of the cast will only be playable if you manage to "pull" one from a banner--a lucky draw that has about a 0.6% chance of occurring. Those chances are especially harsh if you're coming from one of Nintendo's gacha games like Fire Emblem Heroes or Dragalia Lost, which have 5.0% and 4.0% odds respectively.

Despite that, Genshin is still quite friendly towards F2P players. There’s a wealth of interesting and strong 4* characters that you can obtain, and while the term free-to-play might make you skeptical of how far you can get before you’re inevitably smacked with a paywall, there’s never really a moment where the game does that--at least for the first 50 or so hours. Given how much playtime you can get out of Genshin before you even consider paying a meager $4.99/mo for the commissions pass or the $9.99/mo for the battle pass to get even more out of the game in the form of rare item drops, that’s surprisingly impressive.

PDCon82.jpeg

VDR2UN2.jpeg 2.jpg 55.jpeg 66.jpg

Speaking of impressive, the sheer amount of things there are to do in Genshin Impact can almost be intimidating. Once you've set off on your journey, you'll have no shortage of quests to complete, adventures to be had, and items to collect. Much like other open-world games, a lot of the fun comes from wandering the world, finding new locations, and obtaining rare and powerful new items.

Elements play a big part in the role of this game's combat; you start off with a wind-based one-handed sword user, but you'll eventually recruit F2P party members such as a fire-based archer, or an electric mage, each of which play drastically differently, and have many uses in the overworld, as you'll need various elements to solve puzzles or have advantages against enemies. The combat system is varied and incredibly fun, especially when you learn that you can quickly switch between characters to create cool combo attacks, like wind and fire for burning tornadoes, or electricity and water to electrocute your foes. Each of the different styles and how types factor into battle help keep the game engaging to play, and it makes it all the more satisfying when you pull off cool-looking moves, even after hours upon hours of playtime.

1dQufOz.jpeg

11.jpg 22.jpeg 33.jpeg 44.jpg
For what you get--a beautiful world to explore, interesting gameplay, and even co-op with friends--all for no cost at all, it's hard not to recommend Genshin Impact. This is perhaps microtransactions at their best; hardly impacting the overall experience, resulting in a game that feels like it should cost AAA prices, but doesn't. Fans of anything even somewhat similar to Breath of the Wild should absolutely check this game out.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's alright so far, but I feel like combat won't go too deep and plot won't expand further than cliched chosen one saves the world.
The depth comes from the fact you have 4 character slots and can switch them pretty rapidly. Meaning you can pull off some insane combos thanks to the elemental reaction system. Character equipment can even add to that. I put a tome on Barbara that gives me a 40ish% damage boost to whoever swaps in.

There's a lot you can do and I'm sure that'll only keep expanding as we get more stuff.

The core of the story is pretty cliché but there's a lot of great characters and hilarious dialogue. It's one of the first gachas to actually get me to listen. Even side stories are great.

The main story gets a lot more interesting in the second region.

Given the game is free it's pretty insane value and quality.

ZeroHunta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The game looks awesome in PC at max settings and I actually LIKE that the game is similar to BOTW.
It's too easy but I'm just a few hours past the first city so I hope it becomes a little harder.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

GameSystem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having a lot of fun playing this game so far. I'm pure F2P, and though I have had zero luck with 5* pulls, I got triples of Xiangling and Fischl to raise their constellation level, which makes them basically permanent members of my team. I didn't even get the 4th Xiangling from clearing Abyss 3-3 yet, because 3-2 stalled me so hard I got 0 stars and the only way to complete the floor is to have a minimum of 6 stars across the 3 chambers. I'm world level two and AR 26, so if anyone wants to play with me, let me know. I need to do abyss eventually and I need to clear a million domains for co op achievement. I can also help with some elites if you want.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've played a couple of hours and ran around the available area aimlessly for a while.
it's a nice looking game that doesn't necessarily play as great as it could, I really want to reassign some buttons.

can't say much about the story because i only just realized i was meant to glide to a well and then stopped, but it can't be worse than other rpgs.

as many others said, you don't have to spend money at least until the very end of the game, apparently, so don't until you know you want to play this for a long while. i personally probably won't play it in a week, but I'll have some fun with it until then

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Are there any puzzles to solve or any abilities that can be used outside of combat to manipulate/traverse the world? Because if not, its aesthetic is vaguely reminiscent of BotW, but otherwise it just seems like any other F2P MMO with infinite fetch quests.

Reactions: AkiraKurusu

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are there any puzzles to solve or any abilities that can be used outside of combat to manipulate/traverse the world? Because if not, its aesthetic is vaguely reminiscent of BotW, but otherwise it just seems like any other F2P MMO with infinite fetch quests.

Yes. Several puzzles. All elements are required to do certain things in the world. There's currently no abilities to move around faster, other than increasing stamina, and being able to run for a longer period of time.

Reactions: Xzi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    @SylverReZ Never heard of tiger crust. What is it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Its known as tiger bread, also known as dutch crust.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's fuggin gooooood
    +1
    I mean. Whats different about it?
    Never even seen a tiger crust pizza in any stores around here. Walmart, Cub, or otherwise.
    Must be a regional thing.
    Gonna smoke this bowl then go get kitties ashes. <3
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Gonna smoke this bowl then go get kitties ashes. <3