Homebrew GenPlus and the possibility of Sega CD and 32x support

bmtrocks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So now that GenPlus has finally got a seriously solid, unofficial update. Don't you think the next step should be getting Sega CD and 32x games to work? I was just wondering if this was out there with homebrew developers as a next step cause I'd love to play some kickass Sega CD games alongside my collection of Genesis titles.

I mean if the PSP can do it perfectly I don't see what would be limiting the Wii from doing it.

kevenz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
it's not just..... "support"

adding sega cd and 32x is actually like coding a brand new emulator

it probably won't happen sadly.

DEFIANT

a daft old man who stole a magic box and ran away
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone in the community thought of contacting Steve Snake and seeing if he might be interested in a port of his emulator Kega Fusion? It has the best Sega CD support of any of the current Genesis emulators out there.

julz1

Trophies
XP
Country
DEFIANT said:
Has anyone in the community thought of contacting Steve Snake and seeing if he might be interested in a port of his emulator Kega Fusion? It has the best Sega CD support of any of the current Genesis emulators out there.

Thats kind of random asking people who have developed emulators for pc. you dont even know if they own a wii or if they are even interested in doing that

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
afaik, Kega is completely written in x86 assembly which means that porting it to the Wii would be similar as rewriting a new emulator , so i doubt this is gonna happen. All emulators on the Wii are originally portable emulators written in C, hence why the choice is quite limited ...

bmtrocks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's quite a lot of nice replies here, but I was just hoping and wondering if ANY homebrew developer was actually trying to get GenPlus, or even a new emulator, to play Sega CD and 32x games. The first post that posted a link didn't really provide that. Sure it was mentioned (I seen it fucking...MONTHS ago) but none of those guys are even working on the emulator any longer so to suffice that as an answer doesn't do too much. I just think it would be cool to add some solid titles so my Genesis emulation collection would be complete.

Also another question - this is off topic - but has anyone thought of updated HugoWii with a new GUI so covers can be added to it?

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
afaik, the genplus author is still working on it (last changes was yesterday),

I don't think there are lot of emulator authors/porters out there able to do that, probably because it's harder that you might think it is. If that sucks for you, well you can always learn to code and try to do it yourself , you will see it can be"cool" too
wink2.gif

VicViper206

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bmtrocks said:
There's quite a lot of nice replies here, but I was just hoping and wondering if ANY homebrew developer was actually trying to get GenPlus, or even a new emulator, to play Sega CD and 32x games. The first post that posted a link didn't really provide that. Sure it was mentioned (I seen it fucking...MONTHS ago) but none of those guys are even working on the emulator any longer so to suffice that as an answer doesn't do too much. I just think it would be cool to add some solid titles so my Genesis emulation collection would be complete.

If you're not satisfied then code one yourself. Typical fucking rom kiddie

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I'll quote and explain something.

kevenz said:
it's not just..... "support"

adding sega cd and 32x is actually like coding a brand new emulator

it probably won't happen sadly.

Adding CD and 32X support means having to code up emulation for entirely new hardware that wasn't in the genesis.

It's a much larger project than you think.

kevenz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
bmtrocks said:
I was just hoping and wondering if ANY homebrew developer was actually trying to get GenPlus to play Sega CD and 32x games.

You don't get it.

Genesis Plus for the Wii is just a port of Genesis Plus for PC.

Since Genenis Plus for Pc DOESN'T support Sega Cd or Sega 32X.

It won't happen.

bmtrocks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kevenz said:
bmtrocks said:
I was just hoping and wondering if ANY homebrew developer was actually trying to get GenPlus to play Sega CD and 32x games.

You don't get it.

Genesis Plus for the Wii is just a port of Genesis Plus for PC.

Since Genenis Plus for Pc DOESN'T support Sega Cd or Sega 32X.

It won't happen.
I honestly wasn't sure of this. Still, it definitely can be added.

I realize now that it's much much harder than it was thought though. How about this though...there's an ultimate Sega emulator that emulates every 16-bit era and back Sega stuff called Fusion. Could an emulator like this be ported? It emulates 32x, Sega CD, Genesis, Master System, and Game Gear extremely well.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Read the previous messages before posting ?
Kega Fusion from Steve Snake is written in assembly and therefore is NOT portable to the Wii (same goes for gens), it's not even open-source so forget about a port. The reason they are written in assembly language is that is more optimized for the PC and can run at decent speed even on old CPU.

Sorry but sometime you have to accept not everything you want is possible
wink.gif

I'm sure Picodrive (which have sega CD support) could be ported though, but not by the average wii "developper" unfortunately and it would not be "added" into genplus, it would have to be a complete new emulator. 32x emulation would have yet to be coded and I doubt it would run at decent speed without serious optimizations like Wii64 team has done.

panmusic

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Jacobeian,I find it weird that Picodrive is released on PSP and yet noone tried to port it to the Wii.
They are skilled people in the Wii-scene but unfortunately we don't see their energy towards emulators.
Unfortunately,they are only a few really dedicated programmers and for years now we are seeing newest revisions for the same emulators.Aside form Tantric,Eke-eke and Wii64 team(yes,they are REALLY slow),noone else is willing to port ambitious emus.
-MAME Wii is abandonned again
-Neo-Geo emu is dead and the source is lost
-Yabause Wii is only a test-experimental project
and so on...

It's heart-breaking to think all the lost opportunities...

How comes,noone wants to play some Sega-CD classics on his Wii?
Ecco the Dolphin
Sonic CD
Heart of the alien
Road Avenger
Mansion of hidden souls
Shining Force CD
Snatcher
Final Fight CD
Revenge of the Ninja
Afterburner III

What do you think is the best way to act?Maybe starting a petition online?
Someone must have the vision (and the time) to make a functional port of Picodrive!
Even PSP has one,but let's don't start this over...

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
panmusic said:
Jacobeian,I find it weird that Picodrive is released on PSP and yet noone tried to port it to the Wii.
They are skilled people in the Wii-scene but unfortunately we don't see their energy towards emulators.
Unfortunately,they are only a few really dedicated programmers and for years now we are seeing newest revisions for the same emulators.Aside form Tantric,Eke-eke and Wii64 team(yes,they are REALLY slow),noone else is willing to port ambitious emus.
and so on...

out of curiosity, what have YOU done so far ? Those people probably never wrote an emulator before and took the time to learn and progress, what about you ?

QUOTE said:
How comes,noone wants to play some Sega-CD classics on his Wii?
Ecco the Dolphin
Sonic CD
Heart of the alien
Road Avenger
Mansion of hidden souls
Shining Force CD
Snatcher
Final Fight CD
Revenge of the Ninja
Afterburner III

Hard truth for you: how much you desesperatly want something to happen or how much you think it should be easy to do
is meaningless.

Someone must have the vision (and the time) to make a functional port of Picodrive!

online petitions are for losers who don't have life outside internet & playing video games...
most devs have real life or programming job aside, if they are not working on something you want, they probably have good reasons for that, harassing them NEVER made things happen faster

my advise for you would be to enjoy what you already have and stop holding you breath for "cooler things" to happen, because there is nothing you can do to make these stuff happen faster.

panmusic

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
No need to be so offensive...
Your claim that these people never wrote an emulator before is an assumption.The fact is that these people have programing skills and talent for what they are doing.I have no talent in programing,sorry about that...
When I see a bad movie I expect noone to ask me what movies I directed in order to form an opinion.The same for music industry,etc...
And finally,I am not harassing anyone.I wrote my previous post with full respect for their work, just wondering for the next step...
Anyway,I enjoy what we already have and I wish that one day we'll see some 'cooler' things,like a Picodrive port...

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
I was being offensive because it seemed to me that you were actually reproaching people not porting the emulators you want and insinuating devs should focus on more importants things in your opinion ...

my point still stands: most of the things you can enjoy now are because some people took from their own free time to continue and improve old GC projects (it's the case of snes/gen/gba/etc emulators) or to port something new, either because they thought it would be fun or because they wanted to learn things for themselves, not because some user suddenly needed a way to play his favorite ROM...

julz1

Trophies
XP
Country
panmusic said:
and so on...

Come on man Sonic CD is the only memorable one
Its not heart breaking play it on a PSP or a PC.
Your acting like the developers are obliged to this stuff for people like you. Seriously complaining about projects that people spend there free time working on for jack asses like you. You act like you want to help get the sega CD drive on wii but your only going to annoy people and complain to developers. your not actually going to help port anything

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzVN9kIUNxw +1