genesis or snes emulation possibility?

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by xnevergiveinx, Nov 2, 2006.

Nov 2, 2006
  1. xnevergiveinx
    OP

Newcomer xnevergiveinx Member

United States
    i've tried a whole bunch of emulators on the g6lite, but couldn't seem to get any of them to work

i really only want to get 2 games running:

boogerman and michael jackson's moonwalker

boogerman came out for snes and genesis
    i'm pretty sure michael jackson's moonwalker

2. INTERNETS

Member INTERNETS GBAtemp Regular

United States
    SNES emulation on the DS will NEVER be possible.

EVER.

3. Hunter

Former Staff Hunter i'ma stuffup the board

Australia
    havnt we done alot of research?

4. nyst

Newcomer nyst Newbie

Hmmm... I'm playing Castlevania Dracula X (SNES) on my DS Lite with my M3 adapter now... with SOUND ... [​IMG]

5. cenotaph

Member cenotaph GBAtemp Fan

United States
    What he's trying to say is that perfect SNES emulation, where all games are playable at full speed, with sound and transparencies properly emulated (you wouldn't believe how many SNES games are unplayable without them), will never happen. While the SNES has a slow main CPU which is easy to emulate, the real difficulty lies in its graphics (and partly its sound) processor. At the same time as they're more powerful than the main CPU, they're also proprietary and not very well documented, which makes it hard to achieve efficient emulation. A lot of CPU time is also lost syncing I/O between the various components.

As for games that had special processors built into the actual cartridges (Starfox/Mario RPG/Mario Kart/some others); they'll never run at more than 5-10 fps as emulating the special processors on top of the regular SNES using what limited processing power the DS has will be way too much.

Genesis emulation... don' t get me started. It'll never run acceptably, the DS just doesn't have the processing power to emulate the 8 MHz MC68k.

6. OG LOCC NESS

Member OG LOCC NESS GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Michael Jackson's Moonwalker sucks ass on Genesis; the MAME one is the only one worth getting. And considering how little progress has been made with SNES emulation and no genesis emulation, I seriously doubt it.

That's why PSP rocks for homebrew. Plays SNES and Genesis just about perfectly. Playing GTA: VCS currently too. [​IMG]

7. TripleA

Member TripleA GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i have on my supercard street fighter 2 turbo for snes..

Has some minor background glitches but is totaly playble at great speed with sound...

8. beedog19

Member beedog19 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I would love to see a fully functional emulator for the DS emerge but sadly according to some of the earlier posts it seems that one may not come about (I'm not gonna say never). I'm actually thinking about picking up a psp for ps1 games/snes & genesis roms/videos and occasional psp games, especially if there is a redesign.

Although SNES on DS would be awesome beyond all comprehension the DS and GBA library has me more than taken care of.

9. xnevergiveinx
    OP

Newcomer xnevergiveinx Member

United States
    looks like i might want to consider getting a gp2x then