General Rule Clarification

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by Danny Tanner, Feb 14, 2010.

Feb 14, 2010
  1. Danny Tanner
    OP

Member Danny Tanner GBAtemp Fan

United States
    There's been a couple times I've wanted to post something, but didn't because it fell into a gray area of the rules. I realize that most posts are judged on an individual basis, but if someone can give me a quick rundown on these, I'd really appreciate it.

1. If, for example, www.xyz.com is a warez site, but they host a forum at a separate domain (for instance forum.xyz.com) can it be linked to/pointed in the direction of. I'd assume this one is a no, but figured I'd ask.

2. Again, if www.xyz.com is a site with warez, am I allowed to hotlink an image from that site that contains no watermarks, or the name of the site, but does in the image's url, in this case www.xyz.com/image.jpg? Not a huge deal if this is no because I can always just upload the image somewhere, but still wondering.

3. At what line is the line drawn between advertising and not? For instance, if I mentioned that ds-scene is a helpful site or something, that's not advertising right? I take it that a suggestion of a site that wouldn't benefit or hinder any of the members here in a direct way would be okay (like, things for the general enjoyment of the community versus profiteering). I realize this one is probably a lot more open to interpretation.

Anyways, thanks!

2. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    1) No
    2) Probably No as well
    3) Afaik, advertising is trying to get more people to go to a certain site, or when you get benefits of it. If you just link a site for info, but it doesn't matter how many people see it and you won't get anything back for it, its not really advertising.

3. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    I'd like to add another related question
    Where do you draw the line between okay and against the rules:
    "Google it"
    "Google (ROM name)"
    "Google (exact file name)"
    "Google (exact file name), on the (#) page"
    "Google (exact file name) and click the (#) link"

I managed to obtain a lot of just-released ROMs by reading replies like these. It's worth just about as much as a ROM site, except better because it's updated faster.

4. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    Afaik, it is allowed as long as the other users still have to do some searching on their own (so when you don't give a set routine -> user has to make some choices / has to do some stuff to get the files).

So giving the exact name would be allowed as the user would still have to find it by himself.
    Saying exactly what to google and what link it is, wouldn't be allowed.
    Linking to programs that download the files wouldn't be allowed too, because the user wouldn't have to do any searching to find the files.

I'm not completely sure about this though, but it must be something alike [​IMG]

5. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    And I've heard that when it comes to advertising, you'd need express consent from one of the staff before actually making a thread about it.

6. UniqueGeek

Member UniqueGeek PMD Researcher

United States
    In my opinion:
    "Google Bing it" - Okay
    "Google Bing (ROM name)" - Okay
    "Google Bing (exact file name)" - Why don't you just include region, game name, and rom number? Dumper might be too much
    "Google Bing (exact file name), on the (#) page" - Questionable
    "Google Bing (exact file name) and click the (#) link" - Questionable

7. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    Pretty sure that means it's against the rules, not to mention that I'm pretty sure "don't post a reply that says 'google it'" is an unwritten rule.

8. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    If giving filenames isn't allowed, we'd have to remove the whole gOnline ...

9. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    Giving filenames is fine, just not pointing out to people what to do with them.