• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

General questions about MOST European Countries (And India/Japan) - pe

shadowboy

:D
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
First of all, yes I've been inactive here. Why you ask? Because my life is balls. I don't have time to play games or use forums.
Too much stress. But it all ends in 3 months.
So, one year of admission at UC Santa Cruz was $30,000. Screw that.
What I am doing is a foreign exchange program. The choices are Russia, Germany, UK, Denmark, Poland, the list is huge.
So my questions are:
Which country besides the Netherlands (amsterdam) has the most attractive females in your opinion?
Nicest people?
Advantages/disadvantages of your home country?
And also, for technology, I do not want to buy a crapload of new stuff to work for PAL, so, is there any adaptor I could purchase so I can plug in my american electronics cords?
Do NTSC consoles work on PAL tvs? Or would I need my own?
And which countries have good internet, and which censor access/ pull that bullcrap limiting speed/download amount junk?

Thanks for answering,
Shadowboy

Smartpal

The Guitar Guy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India
India would be a good option if you want to meet a variety of people in one country. The people are nice, weather is a little on the hotter side, the internet sucks. You can buy stuff to make your NTSC console work.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
shadowboy said:
Like how sucky? Do they charge per gigabyte or limit traffic?

Whatever you do, don't come to Belgium for the internet.
They have a ridiculous limit traffic, and it's way too expensive.
Nice women? Uh, the Netherlands have nice women, and also very good internet, way better then ours.

mcp2

Trophies
XP
Country
We have slutty women if you're good looking enough. If not just finger a fat girl. People here are OK, depends where you go, you'll probably stay in a Uni town so people are nice. You can buy an adaptor for NTSC. It's expensive living here though.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
well, I am in the UK...

shadowboy said:
Nicest people?
if you stay away from chavs, people are generally nice. you can spot them a mile off though, people with cheap fake gold jewellery and wearing tracksuits, you can usually smell them 2 miles off too.
shadowboy said:
Advantages/disadvantages of your home country?
rain, do you like rain? I guess that could go either way.
as for disadvantages, As your American you may have to tone down your flair for the histrionic.
shadowboy said:
And also, for technology, I do not want to buy a crapload of new stuff to work for PAL, so, is there any adaptor I could purchase so I can plug in my american electronics cords?
this isn't a very simple question. if your equipment can accept 240v it should work here (it should say somewhere on it) with just a pin adapter or new cable. if they run off a DC wall wart then a new DC transformer will make it work here
QUOTE(shadowboy @ Apr 15 2009, 06:50 AM) Do NTSC consoles work on PAL tvs? Or would I need my own?
you can buy an adapter, at least one American I know did that for his dreamcast.
QUOTE(shadowboy @ Apr 15 2009, 06:50 AM)
And which countries have good internet, and which censor access/ pull that bullcrap limiting speed/download amount junk?

this depends on your provider, a lot here are shit like that, but at least one (be broadband) doesn't

Taza

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
You might want to try Sweden, Ireland or Germany.

Sweden is very open to everything. And I mean everything. On the upside, they have awesome internet connections.
Germany has ridiculous laws restricting freedom of speech and video games. And the internet.

Countries in Europe not to try: United Kingdom, Finland, Denmark, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, Moldova, Romania, Bulgaria, Turkey, Serbia, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Kosovo, Macedonia, Albania, Greece, Malta, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Andorra, Vatican and Monaco.

In general, avoid eastern Europe, all the microstates, United Kingdom, Finland and Denmark.

United Kingdom is a nanny state gone mad - to put it lightly. By entering you abandon all human rights and get instantly transported into an utterly weird 1984-esque surveillance state with the government expanding it's powers every day. The scariest thing is that the people seem to notice nothing weird about this.
Finland is a nice country if you got a native to teach you the ways of the land. If not, it's a xenophobic wonderland of violence and booze. Being from the United States you might have a real hard time fitting in. Culture shock thing, especially when the culture glorifies recklessness, violence and terseness.
Denmark is a bit weird too, and their anti-immigration attitude might make it a harsh experience.

Microstates are for the rich and influential, which you aren't.

Eastern Europe tends to be rather violent and unpleasant - not a nice place to live, especially if you're not versatile enough to make the most of it.

Poland is a relatively civilized country, but a bit excessively religious and known for their love of hard booze. If you've grown up in the bible belt drinking rotgut, it might not be much of a culture shock, other than the language.

France, Portugal, Spain, Italy and France all have this cultural supremacy thing going on at the same time. You'll most likely find yourself spat upon for being one of them warmongering American monkeys.

Norway's nice. Cold and weird, but still nice.

The Netherlands is a bit full. Of everything.

The Swiss are aggressively neutral regarding everything.

And nobody cares about Belgium.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Dont listen to Taza
smile.gif

Taza

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
p1ngpong said:
Dont listen to Taza
smile.gif

I did list my own home country in the countries he doesn't want to try.

... but he has much less chance of getting mugged/scammed here than in Croatia. We're honest, we just in general hate outsiders.

shadowboy

:D
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I actually have danish and polish relatives XD
So, bad news. I missed the deadline and its either india or russia, cause all others got filled up.
I'm thinking India.
Russian women are apparently hairy :wtf:

Hopefully I'll be able to do a tour to the various countries ya all recommended during this year!
And thanks for answering my questions so promptly.

~~Shad

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1