general HBC discussion

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by overlord00, Aug 9, 2010.

Aug 9, 2010

general HBC discussion by overlord00 at 2:37 PM (2,038 Views / 0 Likes) 24 replies

1. overlord00
    OP

Member overlord00 A motherfucking birdplane

Australia
    hey all,
    im here to ask some crazy questions just for the hell of it... and cos i am doing this anyway.
    got a wii with 4.2U, HBC v1.0.7b, preloader v0.30 and some other stuff
    cos of the new HBC update, not sure how to get it to autoboot to HBC from BOOTMII... cos j0di and/or haxx does not exist.
    was looking into writing an update for priiloader if need be, but ill get around to that later if need be.
    i've installed j0di and haxx on top of the new wierd HBC, and now have 3 HBC's... yay me. [​IMG]

first question, is there an update to preloader/priiloader to work directly with the new HBC?
    second question, is there a way to boot twilight hack with 4.2 (and i know the answer is probably no, but thought i'd ask anyways)
    third question, is there any way to install the original HBC (beta 7 or 8) without the twilight hack... as loading the elf files results in a "not real program" sorta message.

right on, lets go!

2. Tom191

Banned Tom191 Banned

Canada
    there is a beta update to priiloader that will load the new HBC title ID.

that bootmini.elf file is meant to be launched from bootmii's SD card menu. It is an alternative way to run the hackmii installer.

Twilight hack has been dead for a long time now. You can use bannerbomb for system menu's 3.0 to 4.2. There are 2 versions of bannerbomb. Google it and you'll figure out the difference.

3. overlord00
    OP

Australia
    thanks tom, but im no noob when coming to this... i know the whole "google is your friend" speel.

quick follow up question... why would you need to update HBC/BootMii via BootMii... i guess if you cant access HBC for some reason, but then chances are you cant get to bootmii either... hmmmmmm

ill go try bannerbomb and see if that works, and ill look into the newer version of priiloader.

thanks tom

4. FIX94

Global Moderator FIX94 Global Moderator

Germany
    You can access bootmii with priiloader or special channels when you have it as IOS and directly if you have it as boot2 version. There was a priiloader hack to get Twilight Hack to work, but i don't know where... Use Bannerbomb, this will work

5. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    You can use Twilight Hack by patching SM with Priiloader or StartPatch, and installing the save with a tool like SaveGame Manager. But if you just want to run the original HBC installer for some reason (no real reason to do so, but meh...), just use elf2dol to convert the installer to a DOL and launch via current HBC and it'll work.

6. overlord00
    OP

Australia
    used bannerbomb and worked like a charm... running beta 7, alongside 1.0.5 and 1.0.7b.

the twilight hack save files wont copy over to the wii cos the wii just doesnt like it... i have the preloader hacks and it still doesnt work.

i have bootmii installed as boot2 and ios just in case btw, but still dont see the reason behind the mini-based hackmii installer

might try converting and save managers for the hell of it a little later.

also, saw priiloader beta, and remember why im not using it, cos it said beta... [​IMG]... not that there's anything wrong with that [​IMG]

thanks all, great times.

7. s3phir0th115

Member s3phir0th115 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    What I'd like to know is why they don't allow bootmii as IOS to work for loading the bootmii launchable hackmii installer, instead of restricting it to bootmii as boot2.

Though as for why they use the new install method, my best guess is that it's probably more stable than using an exploited IOS. Anyone could tell you that once you exploit something, it's usually best to put your own loader or something in using it so you can use that instead of the exploit for other things.

I still don't get why they don't just let it use a custom IOS though... They are so against patched IOS's, even though they make things so much simpler. Why force users to have a clean IOS when you could just make use of an IOS that doesn't care about signatures or will take trucha things? They cite "safety reasons". I think it's BS. I don't see how using a custom IOS to do something is any more dangerous than using a clean IOS with an exploit to do the same thing.

8. svpe

Newcomer svpe Member

Germany
    So you have reversed IOS and know our installer code to be able to say that it's less dangerous to use crapIOS that could contain all kinds of weird patches instead of a clean one? Awesome.

9. overlord00
    OP

Australia
    yeah, sounds about right putting it that way svpe; using sane ioses, avoiding possible pitfalls.
    s3phir0th115, there were things like patchmii that were used earlier on in HBC life... but yeah.

10. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    Their installer has been tested thoroughly with unpatched, vanilla IOS. If an IOS is fakesigned, it could have all sorts of patches applied. If they were to try and make it work with patched IOS, they'd have to spend time testing it with each different patch available, and all combinations, and add detection for all those patches to the installer. Its quite possible that some patches will mess with the exploits employed by HackMii Installer, so they'd still need to refuse to run with those patches. Even without that, they don't want to release a poorly tested installer, which if they allowed running on patched IOS and didn't test it with each different patch and combination of patches it would be.

Anyway, it's completely irrelevant. There is absolutely NO reason to have every IOS patched. At most, one or two is needed IMO. Install an IOS like IOS202 which gives USB and DVD access to some apps, and most apps now can choose what IOS to run on, so run them on IOS202. You don't need to have any others patched.

11. s3phir0th115

United States
    Or, if the IOS is fakesigned at all, common sense would dictate that it's probably either trucha patched or doesn't care about signatures at all.

And in such an instance, they wouldn't need to use any new exploit, they know how to use trucha vulnerable IOS's just fine. Or, if it doesn't care about signatures, no exploit at all, just use the IOS to install whatever. They could just allow it to take advantage of the functionality that the patched IOS already allows. I don't see the need for a huge testing process. Just let it use the custom IOS that all of my other applications are able to use just fine. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard, and it'd save me time and motivate me less to create wads of what I can to expedite future installs.

And yes, I agree that not every IOS needs patching. But, at the same time, the whole idea of custom IOS's is to allow homebrew software easier system access. Why not use that and make things faster and easier? Or, at the very least, why not allow users to make use of it if they choose, and not try to force your ways on other people like how the Homebrew Channel Does with turning itself upside down when using a patched IOS?

12. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

How do you suggest they tell if a custom IOS allows fakesigning or not? How do they tell if it will even run if they load into it? Saying things like "common sense would dictate..." is extremely dangerous in the wii homebrew scene.

13. s3phir0th115

United States
    Well, there are several apps available on wiibrew that seem to be able to tell, like signcheck. So I guess they could use whatever method it does.

14. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

Those apps load the IOSes to run tests. If the IOS is bad it will crash the program.

15. Slimmmmmm

Member Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

United Kingdom
    "They" can tell if an IOS has permission or not but at the end of the day it's up to them what they decide. Like Riivolution etc.

We can use these things or not and typing out our opinions of what should be done does nothing to change anyones mind.

16. s3phir0th115

United States
    I'm not seeking to change anyone's thoughts as much as I am seeking to understand.

I like to follow a habit from a prominent book, "Seek to understand, then to be understood." It works pretty well for me.

17. svpe

Newcomer svpe Member

Germany
    No, we can't unless we reload to that IOS which might already cause our installer to hang.

18. Slimmmmmm

Member Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

United Kingdom
    Sorry for being offtopic a bit, I'm just posting to thank you for saying that.

I've used all cIOS to date and some unreleased ones and some recent revs of waninkokos cause all sorts of wiimote sync issues, most noticible when I was testing triiforce out. Anyway no one seems to care about this problem or even acknowledge that it is a problem.

Do you know anywhere I can read more about how this problem occours as it's very random and hard to recreate.

My opinion on this talk about what IOS to use is .... I don't care, it's nothing to do with me what a dev decides to do with THEIR code, I'm just greatful for free things I myself have no hope of making [​IMG]

19. antiaverage

Member antiaverage GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I would just like to know which IOS is recommended to install as a clean IOS for HackMii support. I have 1.0.6 installed using IOS30, but the update that has been pushed to me refuses to install, saying that I don't have any usable or vulnerable IOS installed. As I have only fakesigned IOS36 and IOS60, and since the HBC is already using IOS30 successfully, this seems a bit silly.

20. s3phir0th115

United States
    Ahh, fair enough.

And in truth, it doesn't matter as much for me since I can just have it use IOS61 since no games I know of need it.

But, as long as your reasoning isn't entirely political, that makes sense. I'd be mad if someone lied about what they were using too.

Thanks for clearing that all that up. I'm glad there is sound reasoning behind these decisions instead of just politics.