General Game-Related Question regarding Travel and Emulation

actualkoifish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all, sorry if this is an inappropriate place to ask this.

There's a chance that I may be going to Japan soon, for a decent chunk of time. I would naturally want to bring some games with me to play on off times, but I'm a little concerned about emulation. I would definitely be bringing at least some emulators/rom sets with me, either on my 3DS or on my computer or somewhere else. I know that such things are taken much more seriously in Japan than they are in the United States. Is there a chance that I could get in trouble with the law over this? I can't imagine how they would get the right to look through my files, or whether they even would care unless I was illegally copying and selling games (which I wouldn't do in the first place). I guess I just want to be certain before jumping into a potentially messy scenario.

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
I don't think you have anything to be worried about, but I'm unfamiliar with copyright law in Japan. It's technically possible for your internet service provider to report your downloading of ROMs to an authority, but that's just as possible here as anywhere and it's never happened before. Other than that unlikely scenario, I have no idea how anyone would find out. Anyone else know of any possible concerns?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night