cooldudechand

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
GeeXboX 0.1alpha8

geexbox-logo-trans.png

Release Summary

'GeeXboX' is an open-source media center software package based on linux and 'GeeXboX for Wii' is GeeXboX ported, UNOFFICIALLY, to run on Nintendo Wii game console.
This is GeeXboX for Wii version 0.1alpha8. This version includes minor updates various other packages and is compatible with new Homebrew Channel title ID. Support for native wifi and DVD is still absent.

Changelog

20091016: 0.1alpha8. Feature improvement release.
Update linux to 2.6.29.6;
Update MPlayer and ffmpeg to 20091003 snapshots;
Add fuseiso to handle more disc image formats;
Fix OSD and aspect ratio in fbi image viewer;
Add compatibility with new HBC title ID.

Project Website
Project Forum

Download

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nice one! But they should really disconnect the Wiimote like MPlayer after some time so the batteries are not drained so much.

jservs7

Witcher of Whores
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just realized this version doesnt play FLV files that were compatible with version 7. This player updates like every 4 months then goes one step forward and two steps back.
rolleyes.gif

jservs7

Witcher of Whores
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cmurda187 said:
Stick with MPlayer it is by far the best that is out there. I could never get Geebox to function correctly.
Yea but right now, its not good with FLV files either and GeeXbox was at least playing them well until this latest build.
frown.gif

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If the MPlayer is released with the GUI it is the future. Til now I was a dedicated Geexbox-User but with the GUI (which looks fantastic btw) and NTFS support I will use MPlayer in the future
tongue.gif

I have no problem with Version 7 of GeeXBox so I`ll stay on that, since there is no essential update on this, that would be worth updating for...

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
Trophies
XP
Country
I prefer the UN-OFFICIAL BUILD personally i find it MUCH more "capable" than the official ones
frown.gif
sad but true...

TUKAS UN-OFFICIAL has gr8 usb support in comparison:

http://www.mediafire.com/?gynznltnmyr
NOT ONLY does it play formats like MKV alot better but it also has MUCH BETTER USB SUPPORT than even mplayer has in some cases when i couldnt play a AVI w hardcoded subs in Mplayer this unofficial build did nicely to address any vids that wont play in Mplayer-CE
smile.gif
granted it takes longer to load the USB in this but it also does a better job in "compatibility" than any player ive saw before or since in its defense...

geegee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alpha 8 seems to be uncompilable with my hard drive. Alpha 7 along with all other versions of Geexbox worked fine. I'm going back to Alpha 7.

Mplayer works well, its just a little slow with my NTFS hard drive.

mousex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pika9323 said:
Nice.
USB 2.0 would be awesome.
Geexbox is build ontop of a small linux, right?
So if you have free time you could try booting geexbox using the latest mike kernel and you'll have USB2, Wifi and more RAM.
Cmurda187 said:
Stick with MPlayer it is by far the best that is out there. I could never get Geebox to function correctly.Just because you can't get Geexbox to work this doesn't eman that it's bad, maybe you are too bad for the application?
QUOTE(Master Mo @ Oct 19 2009, 12:53 PM)
but with the GUI (which looks fantastic btw) and NTFS support I will use MPlayer in the future
tongue.gif
Isn't the GUI just a mockup at the moment? Just some gimp'd images which show how they want the GUI to be? And geexbox has also NTFS/EXT2/EXT3 and other filesystem support.

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
Trophies
XP
Country
thats all very much correct mouse
tongue.gif

GeeXbox can also play some videos that Mplayer_CE cannot (soon a brand new GUI for Mplayer will be released thats damn proper though in its defense) All in all they both have there uses Geexbox does NOT require you to have Cios 202 and that installed for proper usb support like Mplayer CE does (i had to install cios 202 for homebrew that i got from dejdynimite123 before i could get mplayer to even compare to that un-official build by tukas via spacejumps elf forwarder channel..

BTW nice to see you mouseX

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Let's also not forget that Geexbox runs very stable when running a movie where MPlayer still crashes a lot randomly (at least for me).

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
geegee said:
Mplayer works well, its just a little slow with my NTFS hard drive.Did you install the cIOS for USB2.0 support for MPlayerCE? With that it works at a very good speed...
QUOTE(mousex @ Oct 19 2009, 11:14 PM) Isn't the GUI just a mockup at the moment? Just some gimp'd images which show how they want the GUI to be?
As far as I know the first images with the not so clean GUI are the real deal and the dev wanted some people to do artworks and they did some samples and examples of how it could look. But those are just images!

As the dev stated here ( http://code.google.com/p/mplayer-ce/wiki/NewGUI ) the screenshots are taken of the GUI as it is at the moment...

But like I said before, I think GeeXBox fits my needs better at the moment (even though I usually just play.avi so compatibility doesn`t matter
tongue.gif
)

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Master Mo said:
But like I said before, I think GeeXBox fits my needs better at the moment (even though I usually just play.avi so compatibility doesn`t matter
tongue.gif
)
Just curious, what is it that Geexbox does so that it fits your needs better?

rastula

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I can't tell for Master Mo, but GeexBox works better also for me.

It always recognizes my samsung 320g HD ( and to be exact its second fat32 partition, the firs one is wbfs) and shows all the files and directories

Mplayer Ce 0.75 randomly does not recognize usb hd, and sometimes doesn't display newly added files.

Mplayer also freezes sometimes , where GeexBox plays the file fine.

GeexBox shows subtitles on the leftover (black stripe) of the movie screen, while Mplayer shows letters on the picture...

So for me:

better compatybility with hds
more stable
better subtitles handling

what makes GeexBox worse

no dvd support ( can live without it)
geexBox does not show local letters for polish subtitles like ?????? etc ( big drawback)

the mix of two players would be great
smile.gif

hope that new versions of Geex and Mplayer will be better
smile.gif

rashef

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Poland
rastula said:
what makes GeexBox worse

no dvd support ( can live without it)
geexBox does not show local letters for polish subtitles like ?????? etc ( big drawback)
Actually... it does. You just need to convert the subtitle file to the correct character encoding type. G?eg?ó?ka XP is your friend for this operation.
And DVD function is broken in mplayer if you've updated dvdx to v2 ;p.

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
geexbox and mplayer ce has its own advantages and disadvantages...no complain on whatsoever issue i will encounter on this release for its for free. the geexbox team is doing their best to improve their apps a lot in return for nothing...but appreciation for their hardwork.

just downloaded it...i am going to try this release.
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I feel like I spent the night with Ancientboi +1