Hacking Geeky question about sleep mode

camintmier

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I've got a really geeky question about how sleep mode is initiated on the DS. Simply put, what turns on sleep mode? I know when I close my DS, it goes into sleep mode, but is there some sort of switch, magnetic "HallEffect" sensor, or something that says "Okay, the top's closed, you can go night-night now." I only ask this because I recently switched the case on my DS (bought a refurb one from Gamestop and they sent me a pink one...), and when I had it open I didn't notice any kind of switches or whatever that would turn sleep mode on.

Okay, I'm rambling now, so any help on this would be appreciated.

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, this is my twocents..

From experience from taking apart a DS...

There's a cable that runs through the hinge of the DS.

The cable is twistable and whatnot,

So I THINK, when you close the DS. The hinge bends the cable, and the cable simply shuts off when bent.

Honestly? I don't know. I just remember one time when I took apart my DS. I twisted the cable to get it out of the hinge, and the screens turned off.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Brian117 said:

So I THINK, when you close the DS. The hinge bends the cable, and the cable simply shuts off when bent.

Honestly? I don't know. I just remember one time when I took apart my DS. I twisted the cable to get it out of the hinge, and the screens turned off.
Haha, good guess Brian, but it's not that, NDS has magnetic sensor that makes him go in sleep mode when you close it..
You can also activate sleep mode by moving ordinary magnet along right sides of NDS (I'm not sure where it's exactly!), but I wouldn't advise you to move magnet near to motherboard just to test it!

Noitora

::
Trophies
Website
www.noitora.eu.pn
XP
Country
Greece
There's a magnet somewhere, I don't remember where exactly but if you put a small magnet somewhere around your ds, it will go into sleep mode
tongue.gif

camintmier

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aah, so it's the magnet in the speaker that's doing it. I was thinking it was something like that. I just tried it out with a hdd magnet, and it works just as the video Toni Plutonij posted said. Thanks for answering my question.

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Toni Plutonij said:
Brian117 said:

Haha, good guess Brian, but it's not that, NDS has magnetic sensor that makes him go in sleep mode when you close it..
You can also activate sleep mode by moving ordinary magnet along right sides of NDS (I'm not sure where it's exactly!), but I wouldn't advise you to move magnet near to motherboard just to test it!

Ah, thanks for that info.

I was WAYYYYYY off.

=/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)