Gearbox talks the future of Duke Nukem, possible XBONE/PS4 game coming

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by chavosaur, Jul 16, 2015.

1. chavosaur
    OP

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    [​IMG]
    Ahh, Duke Nukem. The pinnacle of 90's pop culture, crude, absolute dude humor. He was a rockstar, a pioneer of the 3D shooter, and there certainly wasn't a game that took 10 years to make that everyone hated. No idea what you're talking about. Nope. No idea at all.

Anywho, Gearbox announced today that concept work on a new Duke Nukem game has already begun, and they are actively seeking programmers to help the game become a reality.

:arrow: SOURCE

Personally, I'm a pretty big fan of the Duke series. I played them when I was young, and enjoyed the crude, totally bro humor it had to it. I even mildly enjoyed the 2011 title that everyone hated so much.

The question is, will anyone actually take on the project, and will anyone actually want to buy it? The Duke is pretty dated, it REALLY showed in the 2011 game, where pop culture references didnt even fit the time period anymore. Guess we'll find out eventually. Till then?

Hail to the King Baby.

HaloEffect17 likes this.
  2. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    I don't trust these guys they ruined Duke Nukem Forever and Aliens so they can eff off.

raulpica and digipimp75 like this.
  3. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    Gearbox hasn't made a single game I enjoy, so I'm not going to get my hopes up. Not to mention they still haven't even said sorry for ACM. DNF was terrible, but at least they didn't really build expectation for it.

Lilith Valentine likes this.
  4. XDel

XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Solaris
    I dunno, as much as I enjoyed Duke, I think the first should have been the last. I mean the MOD community is great, and there is certainly welcome room for new MODs such as The Shining 2!

It's just that crude humor can only impact you on an intense level the first time, after that the only thing one can do to please the crowd is make something that is cruder... or you could go the South Park route, and add some intelligence in their as well. Then again, social commentaries can also be very cliche and pointless, so I'd say leave that in the hands of those who have mastered the art (George Carlin and Bill Hicks, may they rest in peace).

On the other hand, instead of going the whole Girl on Girl route and this and that in order to make things even more crude like the 2011 release, what they need are just more one liners, more funny ways to kill and enemy (ala Brutal DOOM and Shadow Warrior), more interaction with the world, and level design that the world has not seen the likes of since...

I dunno, a gave with really unique level design that you just want to stick around and explore, even after all the enemies are dead. You need vehicles, free roaming, and well probably something like GTA as opposed to levels and missions. Maybe give it some RPG elements?

Still though, this ain't DOOM and it certainly ain't Half-Life, I just don't think the demand is there, but if they come up with something unique, then maybe they can earn a demand, as building marketing hype will not cut the bill a second time around.

I got an idea! Make another 8-bit Duke but with modern play mechanics! ;)

chavosaur likes this.
  5. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    First, I'll check in on this in another 10 years.
    Second, I can't wait for Gearbox to fuck up another game!

6. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    They received an already outdated and unfinished game and made it into something playable and semi-decent within a short span of time. 3D Realms was farting about for 14 years during which they scrapped 2 prototypes (Quake 2-based and Unreal 1-based) completely, put DNF on the back burner as they made and released other games (Prey, for instance) and didn't even finish the job in the end. I'm pretty sure Gearbox devs are more capable than the original IP owners, whatever made Apogee and 3D Realms good back in the day is long since gone.

7. DarkFlare69

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    I really only like Duke Nukem 3D. Maybe it's because it was my childhood (played when I was 4) or because it's just so damn good. I'd rather play it than any CoD or BF. If they can capture the same thing intk this game, Ill buy it.

codezer0 likes this.
  8. mario5555

mario5555 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 23, 2012
    United States
    Except Gearbox had no hand in the development. It was completed by former 3D Realms developers (Triptych Games) who took the assets they had, strung them all together into something semi-cohesive, and all gearbox did was put money behind finishing it off, some play testing and out it went.

They would have saved more face and Duke's reputation had they let Interceptor complete their remastering of Duke 3d that Gearbox unceremoniously pulled the plug after giving them their blessing early on. And I don't disagree that Gearbox CAN make a good game, shame the two of the biggest screw ups associated with them are two games they didn't develop, yet had their name plastered all over. Funny ain't it.

9. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    I loved the crap out of Duke3D, as it was my first foray into FPS's, and did so brilliantly. At this point I couldn't even bring myself to really enjoy a classic DOOM because I'd be too tempted to heckle it.

That said, it's long overdue for a proper entry in the series.

10. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 12, 2009
    Gearbox still deserve blame IMO since they would have made decisions which caused problems based of what I've read (so correct me if I'm wrong).

In the case of DNF, they could have done more work on it (they should have known it's state at the time of purchase), their DNF release seemed like more of a cash grab if anything.

In the case of Aliens: CM, they chose to subcontract it and gave ridiculous lies to people up to the time of release and recently spoke smugly when they managed to get out of a lawsuit.

WiiCube_2013 likes this.
  11. Acidflare

Acidflare HomeBrew Beta Tester

Aug 16, 2013
    Canada
    Nether World
    Do you play the Borderlands games? Their developed by gearbox software.

12. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    If Randy Pitchfork would just apologise that they fucked up Aliens it wouldn't fix the game sure, but at least putting an end to it would seal it.

13. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    That, and they made HL: Opposing Force, HL: Blue Shift and Brothers in Arms.

14. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    Yeah, it came off as very mediocre to me. Yeah, it was better with multiplayer, but almost everything is better with multiplayer. It probably doesn't help I don't get into many shooters.

Last edited by TecXero, Jul 16, 2015
  15. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Fox Princess

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    Only thing I like from Gearbox is Halo PC, the netcode and controller support sucked (you literally need an aimbot to use the sniper rifle online) but the Xbox release lacked online multiplayer and the PC exclusive multiplayer weapons, vehicles and maps

16. Acidflare

Acidflare HomeBrew Beta Tester

Aug 16, 2013
    Canada
    Nether World
    What! have never heard of xlink kai? lan play online works with GC/PS2/Xbox. I used to play halo 1/2 online all the time using system link

17. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Fox Princess

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    I have, but I meant halo PC officially supports online. Plus Xbox version lacked Banshees, Flamethrower, Fuel Rod Gun and several amazing maps.

18. JUSTARANDOMPERSON

JUSTARANDOMPERSON Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 20, 2015
    United States
    The White House
    Duke Nukem was my life growing up playing on my brothers old consoles. Then I heard about Duke Nukem Forever I was like I remember that guy so I bought it and it SUCKED! That's why I now check for reviews (except for IGN reviews) before I purchase.