GDR Drives Obsolete for DL?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Jeremytus, Mar 6, 2008.

Mar 6, 2008

GDR Drives Obsolete for DL? by Jeremytus at 9:50 AM (1,136 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. Jeremytus
    OP

Newcomer Jeremytus Member

Australia
    Hey there, I've search far and long to find the answer to this... but with SSBB being released and shocking the Pirate Community as being a Dual Layer disc, does this mean the GDR Models are now useless for ripping when it comes for Dual Layer discs?

The models that could read Wii discs in the GDR series were the following;

Hitachi LG GDR-8161b (IDE)
    Hitachi LG GDR-8162b (IDE)
    Hitachi LG GDR-8163b (IDE) (The one I have)
    Hitachi LG GDR-8164b (IDE)
    Hitachi LG GDR-H10NBLK (SATA)

So after saving up enough cash to buy one in December, does this mean I've technically wasted my money? I only really Modchipped my Wii to play Brawl early, and the same for buying the DVD Reader, so I could rip it and RegionFrii, BrickBlock, etc.

By the way, I have a PAL Wii chipped with WiiKey, and I have a preorder set down for a NTSC-U copy of Brawl, thus me being very worried since Wiikey can't read backups of Brawl from the consoles native region, so another Region has me even more spooked.

Could anyone possibly answer my question, it'd be greatly appreciated, even if it is the cold hard fact that my money has been wasted. [​IMG]

Also, if my drive cannot read and dump a Brawl ISO when I receive my legit copy, what DVD Drives have been tested that can? Or perhaps the USB Gecko can dump this?

Thanks.

2. Richy Freeway

Member Richy Freeway GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Why mess about dumping it when someone else already has? You've paid your money and supported Nintendo already so just download the ISO and burn it.

No point making life hard for yourself.

3. Pikachu025

Member Pikachu025 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Austria
    Actually, I think someone wrote a software to dump DL discs using a LG-GDR drive, takes 40 hours or something crazy like that, but better than downloading more than 8GB for basically nothing.

4. Jeremytus
    OP

Newcomer Jeremytus Member

Australia

5. joedodgy

Newcomer joedodgy Member

altho off topic - re your internet connection - you need to shop around.. there is a plan that is 16x as fast, and has 10x as much download and its cheap..shop around, broadband choice is your friend.