GDEmu, Sega Dreamcast ISO loading add-on device

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Another World, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Another World
    OP

Another World Emulate the Planet!

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2008
    Colombia
    From Where???
    i9HRBRKO99F3C.JPG

Dreamcast back-ups and homebrew have had a good run on a system that was never too difficult to exploit. The issues always fell on the way in which discs were prepared and the amount of discs required to maintain a relatively healthy collection. All that is about to change thanks to the GDEmu, a project which aims to put the storage in the palm of our hands, quite literally on an SD card. More information such as installation instructions and availability can be found via the link below. The add-on device is currently estimated to sell for 100 Euros.

:arrow: GDEmu Homepage

Thomas83Lin, Foxi4, VatoLoco and 2 others like this.

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Take all my money, GDEmu - this is exactly what I need for my Dreamcast. There's nothing more annoying than having to burn and juggle stacks of discs (and gradually cause wear and tear to the precious laser lens while using CD-R's) and the current SD solutions are quite disappointing due to the slow transfer rates of the serial port, so they're not a viable solution either. Full-on ODDE's are the future for all retro collectors who want to keep their systems healthy for years to come, this device is definitely on my radar, even if the price tag is a tad hefty.

3. xxNathanxx

xxNathanxx GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2011
    New Caledonia
    Haha, this is cool.

4. VashTS

VashTS Beat it, son

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Upstate NY
    i totally suggested this a while back! glad to see if coming to fruition. now if i didn't sell my dreamcast :cry:

5. b17bomber

b17bomber GBAtemp Fan

Jun 15, 2009
    United States
    Is this like previous SD card mods that use the serial port and are really slow, or is that like the DCIO thing I saw before?

6. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    From what I understand, it's a disc drive emulator.

7. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    This is all you could ever dream for, amirite? :creep:

Foxi4 likes this.
  8. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I guess you could say this type of device is a dream come true.

9. Mr_Pichu

Mr_Pichu かわいいね!

Dec 10, 2013
    United States
    Damn that is sweet!!

10. emmanu888

emmanu888 6 years and still going strong

Jan 25, 2009
    Canada
    Victoriaville,Québec
    Wasn't there something similar to this but for the PS1 ? Anyway, this sounds awesome, it will finally let us play those proper GDROMS dump on a real system

11. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Dreamcast and PS2 ODDE (if it ever will be one) are what I'm looking for right now.

emmanu888 likes this.
  12. chartube12

chartube12 GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    My dreamcast is the late 2000 model with the exploit patched so I can't just run pop in a burnt disc. So would this work for my dreamcast or no. I do not much about the dreamcast modding.

13. kristianity77

kristianity77 GBATemp old fogey

Jul 10, 2003
    Bewdley, UK
    This looks a nifty piece of kit. If someone does come out with an ODDE for the PS2, I would actually go out and buy a PS2 just for it!

emmanu888 likes this.
  14. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    Forget ODDE or SD or whatever, where do you get a tiny Dreamcast like that? It looks neato.

ILOVETOPLAYNESGA and RodrigoDavy like this.
  15. fille

fille GBAtemp Regular

Mar 28, 2014
    Belgium
    somewhere
    i was just in time to order 1,now wait for payment orders and the gdemu ofcourse.

16. DaFixer

DaFixer Dare to be stupid

Aug 29, 2010
    Netherlands
    In my mencave ;)
    Take my money!!!
    This is great, now you can use Full game ripps and no more laser damaged by CD-R's
    A led display/iso selector will be nice, to see witch iso you are running.

17. Vappy

Vappy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 23, 2012
    Gdemu isn't the only project of its type currently being developed. There's also the DC-IO, development thread for it under the Dreamcast development subforum on assemblergames. It's being designed by cybdyn, who's also one of two people working on the equally promising PS-IO, and OzOnE, who iirc was the first one to kick start that project, and also has a few other plans under his belt. I believe they're working with the dreamshell developer to integrate it as a UI.

User by the name of Mario is also designing his his own equivalent of Gdemu, and posting some progress in that same thread. It'll be interesting to see how the three compare.

And to people mentioning a ps2 odde, it's already possible to hard drive load ps2 games through freemcboot with like 90%+ compatibility. So I'd be surprised if anyone goes out of their way to develop an ode when an alternative already exists that can be put together for the price of the parts.

18. Chaosruler

Chaosruler GBAtemp Fan

Jun 5, 2009
    Israel
    p1ngpong's dream
    this is a dream come true

19. Thomas83Lin

Thomas83Lin Retro Gamer

Jul 22, 2009
    United States
    you can check the revision on the bottom beside were it shows the region, (ntsc-j models won't show the revision number here on the bottom though).
    [​IMG]

20. Clarky

Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

Oct 4, 2007
    United States
    Awesome. Time to get those gd rom dumps out and enjoy some awesome stuff like MSR again