Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
13101-01_GCWZERO_LOGO.png

The GCW Zero Kickstarter went live and what felt like moments later, the gaming community began to compare the GCW Zero to the Sony PSP. The PSP has not had much love the past few years, with many emulation projects left abandoned, and while users continue to rally towards supportive PSP emulation compatibility discussions, some fail to recognize that Dingux is actively updated as are its games, homebrew, and emulation projects.

Qbertaddict1, the GCW Zero's lead hardware tester, has released a video which compares the GCW Zero to the PSP while running a game most of us would love to accurately emulate on a handheld, Star Fox.

GBAtemp is in a unique position to discuss this video as our community contains many PSP users who have been emulating SNES games since the very beginning. Please watch the video and then let us know your thoughts. For more information on the CGW Zero be sure to check the links below.

:arrow: GCW Zero Homepage
:arrow: Kickstarter Page
:arrow: Discussion at Dingoonity.org
:arrow: YouTube Vids

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
And of course he uses the non-mecm version... but whatever, Star Fox runs bad on all of them anyways, which is likely why he chose it for a test!

And that is smooth. I hesitate the use the word "sexy" because that'd depend on the variety of software and added perks (cheats, save states, etc.), and he did a really quick show.

Well we've seen the power of the 16-bit era, now it's higher questions, and basics like price and the dreaded battery life.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
As Rydian mentioned, It's dreadful that the PSP emulators demonstrated are very outdated in terms of what we use today....Euphoria R2 rather than R4 or R5, TYL0.4.2 is ancient too. It's not exactly a fair comparison, despite showing that the GCW Zero performs well.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I know this is what they can show right now in terms of development (OpenGL not being implemented and all), but really, in one way or another we can already play almost all the classics, that's the reality of it. Be it NDS, PSP, Android tablets, whatever...

N64 and PSX are really what would switch this project from "cool" to "unique and a freaking must-have". I understand the business reality of things, but I also understand what I miss and what I don't.

PS: A portable DOSBox that doesn't SUCK would change things up a lot for me, of course...

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have a GP2X Caanoo, I loved it, but I didn't get the most out of it for it still lacked that extra processing power needed to run SNES games full speed.
That had a 533Mhz ARM(?) processor, overclockable to around 750mhz safely and then a bit more. If you wanted transparency in your SNES games then not much luck.
This GCW Zero appears to have a 1Ghz MIPS processor and it seems to be doing, well fantastically.
On top of just having a nicer looking design and form factor, with an actual d-pad for primary input, it has Gmenu2X as the primary front-end, this device does look really attractive to me, but I don't want to fall into the same trap of buying an open-source handheld I end up shelving after losing interest.
Though I'm more hopeful about this one, but if their kick starter doesn't go well then maybe nobody will get these. :\
I dunno man, I dunno. I'd love one but...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: got a mig switch here, freshly smuggled in from China