GCW Wants to Reset Atari, raising funds to acquire the brand

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Another World, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Another World
    OP

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    [​IMG]

:arrow: Reset Atari @ fundable.com
    :arrow: GCW Zero Homepage

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Crowdfunded IP grab.... I had expected it and I have kind of seen things like it before but it is still pretty novel.

All this said though I am always wary of these sorts of projects I am ultimately usually ambivalent on the matter I can see their value. Here, and although I am not a fan of a lot of IP law, this is somewhat different and does not sit right with me as it presently stands. A straight "Atari is now CC0" or proper foundation that allows similar things maybe but this is a bit different.

3. 431unknown

Member 431unknown Greatness Awaits

United States
    Oh Atari you were the bane of bad grades in my youth.

I might have to jump on this offer.

Attila13 likes this.
  4. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Just let them stay dead, they were never that good anyway and actually produced more crap than good. I'm all for nostalgia but the only point to this is to advertise GCW as something else other than yet another maker of yet another homebrew device and that is all.

Attila13 and NahuelDS like this.
  5. VatoLoco

Member VatoLoco Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.

United States
    Backed it. Atari 2600 was the first console of my youth and I still enjoy some of the games in spite of how rudimentary and basic they are. I say let E.T. live.

loco365, Attila13 and 431unknown like this.
  6. tbgtbg

Member tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

United States
    Are they trying to acquire the rights to Atari Games, Atari Corp. or both?

7. Another World
    OP

Colombia
    the ceo of gcw started out as a reseller for the dingoo a320. he then wanted to make a dingoo of his own that fixed many of the issues their community had with it. up until that point, he was just another maker of yet another homebrew device. since then he has wanted to make the gcw zero a legitimate handheld with its own software library. from what i've read (in their irc chat) they already have other systems on board, and the rights to re-release their software on the gcw zero. going for atari is just another step along the way of trying to build something beyond just an open-source gaming device. i don't know if they will reach the status that they are aiming for, and it might just end up that moves like this only advertised the core system. but i wish them luck.

-another world

2ndApex and 431unknown like this.
  8. dickfour

Banned dickfour Banned

United States
    So GCW wants to buy Atari with other people's money and the investors don't get anything? No return on investment? Sounds like a good deal for GCW. Oh you get 20 Atari games. I already have all the Atari games on ten different platforms. My advice to GCW is to use your own money, get a loan, or find some investors.

Bladexdsl likes this.
  9. Another World
    OP

Colombia
    Pledge Rewards
    Pledge $30+
    “Reset Atari” T-Shirt. A custom designed t-shirt that shows your support for the cause. Designed exclusively for us by Homage out of high quality materials.

Pledge $45+
    Already own a GCW? Top 20 Atari Games and "Reset Atari' T-Shirt. We really appreciate your support, and we'll give you the Top 20 Atari games to add to your GCW-Zero, along with our exclusive Homage t-shirt.

Pledge $150+
    GCW Gaming Console with Top 20 Atari Games Pre-loaded. You’ll recieve a GCW console pre-loaded with 20 of the Top Atari Games such as Asteroids, Breakout, Centipede, Missile Command, Pitfall, Pong, Space Invaders, Tempest, and Yar’s Revenge. (The Top 20 Atari Games will only be Pre-Loaded if we are successful in acquiring the licensing from Atari.)

Pledge $500+
    Developer Toolkit. You’ll get a developer toolkit with 24/7 support and advertising in the app store.

Pledge $2,000+
    Full Size Vintage Arcade game. You’ve always dreamed of owning a classic at home. We’ll deliver you from a select list one of Atari’s classics.

Pledge $7,500+
    Custom-designed Arkeg. The best of both worlds! A customized arcarde cabinet including whatever side art and banner top you want, and a massive supply of your favorite tapped beverage. Pure heaven.

-another world

TyBlood13 likes this.
  10. XDel

Member XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

United States

REALLY? Hmm... Seems to me that if there wasn't a Jay Minor that most of the technology you enjoy today probably wouldn't even exist. It was his ideas that went into the Atari 8-bit line of computers and then later shaped the Commodore Amiga which shaped many of the standards we take for granted today.

11. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Not really, you make out that there wasn't anyone else back then. All I'm saying it's best to leave Atari dead and buried instead of digging up the name and pissing on it even further. It's a curse anyway. :P

12. nukeboy95

Member nukeboy95 Leave luck to heaven.

United States
    soo can legally play E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial on the bus if they buy them out

13. XDel

Member XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

United States
    No there were others back then. Some were amazing and remain unknown, and some were hacks that rose to the top ripping off other's hard work.

14. nukeboy95

Member nukeboy95 Leave luck to heaven.

United States
    ha ha ha

digging up the landfill

Snailface likes this.
  15. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    I just don't see the point,
    maybe they are trying to make it a selling point? no idea...

16. gundalf

Member gundalf GBAtemp Fan

Spain
    Yeah I don't get it either, they want to buy the Atari Brand with my money?
    These Fundrising things should be there to help Indies out and not to let them become Mega Corporations...
    And what if the 250.000$ aren't high enough to win the auction?
    The fact that this isn't on Kickstarter just displays the dubious nature of this project.

I am sorry, I love the GCW and I did put gladly my money on it, but the Atari Brand does not belong to them.

Atari has to be free, we need a Fundraising with the aim to buy the Brand and make it Open Domain, anything else is Bullshit.

17. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    More kickstarter BS.

18. Kouen Hasuki

Member Kouen Hasuki Kouen the Cyber Husky

Norway
    Here we go again :/

Couldn't they use profits AFTER the GCW came out to acquire the IP rather than get us to foot the bill again xD

Edit: Sure you can get a GCW for 150 bucks backing this and all that but I dunno I cant help feeling there taking us for a ride / granted like we are ravenous dogs desperate for this handheld

Next I am waiting for them Kickstarting so they can get a Licence to release some old school Sega Genesis / Megadrive games so on so forth...

19. Surkow

Member Surkow Advanced Member

Netherlands
    Kickstarter money will not be used to buy Atari IP. It will be used to buy the Kickstarter rewards and to employ developers to work on the device.

20. dickfour

Banned dickfour Banned

United States
    That early seems like a good deal. Pay full blown retail and we at GCW will keep all the money we make from licencing on a multitude of platforms. I'd give them give them 150k for a return on investment plus 20% on licensing profits.