GCN MemCard Recover

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by GerbilSoft, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Toasty813

Toasty813 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 17, 2019
    United States
    Ok so now a program showed up named “dacotaco”. If that’s good now it says that there’s an “error mounting card” when I try to raw dump
    Here’s what’s on my SD card:
    - apps (folder)
    - ctr-gcs (folder)
    - src (folder)
    - 30942-gcmm_v1.4.7z
    - mcreover-0.21.tar.gz

Last edited by Toasty813, Sep 17, 2019
  2. MarcusCarter

MarcusCarter Furret Freek

Jan 7, 2012
    United States
    Johto Pokemon Fan Club
    That means your memory card either has dirty contacts, or is physically damaged. If the contacts look clean, and the Wii System Menu doesn't ask you to format it when going to Memory Card Management, then I'm afraid that your memory card is officially broken, and this program will not help you. If the System Menu asks to format, though, then I have no clue what's wrong, but I suggest you use GCMM anyway, since it is a more stable homebrew than ctr-gcs. I linked to GCMM in my first reply to you.

Edit: When using GCMM, hold B on your Wii Remote and press minus (-) to do a full raw dump.

Edit 2: I think I found your issue: https://wiibrew.org/wiki/Ctr-Gcs-Da...icial_nintendo_memory_cards_on_0.2b_and_below
    You might be better off using GCMM instead since it does not have this limitation, and there's no workaround if your card is corrupt.

Edit 3: Also, the program only works with saves of certain games; very few games are supported by the program.

Last edited by MarcusCarter, Sep 17, 2019
  3. Toasty813

Toasty813 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 17, 2019
    United States
    The thing is that my memory card isn't official, so I'll try it out in a second and I'll update.

Edit: It says the same message I don’t really know what else to add. But there’s one thing I’m confused about is dacotaco. Is it supposed to be on the homebrew channel or is it supposed to say something like “GCN Memcard Recover”?

Edit Again: My mem card has been formatted but in op’s post it says the data can be recovered.

Edit Again Again: If I’m trying to get help I guess I’ll tell you everything so you can see if you can help me. I formatted my Mad Catz memory card by accident on my GameCube (at this point I didn’t have a Wii that was GameCube compatible). So I went and bought a wii with GameCube compatibility after seeing this post. So that’s basically it, I have never actually homebrewed a Wii up until now so I’m not really good with tech.

Last edited by Toasty813, Sep 17, 2019
    alexander1970 likes this.
  4. MarcusCarter

Jan 7, 2012
    United States
    Johto Pokemon Fan Club
    GCN MemCard recover is a Windows PC program; the .zip needs extracted on your computer (extract it to a new, empty folder). Before you can use it, though, you need to use Wii homebrew to dump your memory card's contents. DO NOT use the daco taco program, use GCMM (download GCMM, extract it, copy the apps folder to your Wii SD card, then run GCMM from the Homebrew Channel). Hold B and press minus (-) on your Wii remote and confirm all prompts (it might try to trick you by swapping the options, so pay attention!) to dump your memory card.

Also, the version of GCMM I linked is actually outdated. Use this one:
    Link to GCMM 1.4f

After you have dumped your memory card, close the homebrew and shut down your Wii, put your SD in your computer, open the \MCBACKUP\ folder, copy the .raw file to where you extracted the GCN MemCard Recover program to, then run 'mcrecover.exe'. Click File -> Open, then select the .raw file that you copied to the same folder as 'mcrecover.exe'. Click File -> Save All, and choose the \MCBACKUP\ folder on your SD card as the save location. Finally, delete the .raw file (NOT THE .GCI FILES!!!) from the \MCBACKUP\ folder on your SD, eject the SD card from your computer and put it back in your Wii, then run GCMM again. Press plus (+) to enter Restore mode, then select your save files one at a time and restore them (this should be self-explanatory, although it may again try to confuse you by swapping the options). After that, you are all done, although you may not have all of your saves, because the program only has support for 105 different games:

Toasty813 likes this.
  5. Toasty813

Toasty813 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 17, 2019
    United States
    I got progress! Ok I needed to place another memory card in the Wii for it to recognize the Madcatz one, but now it says “To make an official Nintendo card work, you need to go to the system menu GC save menu first” but like I said before I don’t have an official card. So I guess I’m just going to guess what to do from here.

6. MarcusCarter

Jan 7, 2012
    United States
    Johto Pokemon Fan Club
    Read my reply.

7. Toasty813

Toasty813 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 17, 2019
    United States
    Sorry I posted it at the same time as you

8. MarcusCarter

Jan 7, 2012
    United States
    Johto Pokemon Fan Club
    I see. lol.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Also, try swapping the 2 memory cards. The memory card you are recovering saves for should always be in the slot labelled 'Memory Card A' on your Wii.

9. Toasty813

Toasty813 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 17, 2019
    United States
    So I chose the .raw file and placed it inside the program but it won't let me save, you know how to fix that?
    Edit: Nvm it worked!
    Edit Again: Dude I don’t know how you knew all this but thank you, I didn’t save all of them but I got most of the saves I cared about! I’m just going to say it again thank you, and I hope this can help someone else when they read this!

Last edited by Toasty813, Sep 18, 2019
    MarcusCarter likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted