Hardware GCN Freeloader on Wii ... Y or N, final answer?

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My teenager had a great Christmas this year, including a Japanese Wii console from his grandparents who were visiting from Japan. We've got it up an running now, no problem getting it online... it thinks we're in Japan though which is kinda funny. Wanna know if its raining in Fukuoka?
rofl2.gif

Anyway, we got the region lock blues. Of course where the Wii games are concerned, I knew when I heard they were bringing it that I'd have to buy imports. But I was hoping all his USA Gamecube games would be able to work, using the Freeloader. Unfortunately our Freeloader is a v.1.0, and is not recognized by the Wii.

However, I've read conflicting info online about this ... some claim 1.06B works on their Wii, others claim 1.06b works on their Wii, others are calling B.S.! and saying no version of Freeloader currently works.

So, can anyone help me out here?
Is there a particular version of Freeloader which you have tested and confirmed really does work on your Wii? Is there some other method for getting around the region lock for GCN games on Wii?? We've got 6-7 japanese GCN games, but over 25 USA GCN games, and while its true they can still be played on our ol' Gamecube, that's not really the point.

NoNameFace

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
What I heard is the Freeloader(v.1.06) only works on a USA Wii.

Someone who has a USA Wii from a Chinese game forum said the AR(1.06) do work on his USA Wii (fw 2.0u).

so I guess this is true ?!

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Far as I've had it explained to me the standalone CD version of the FL works, but if you're using th eone with the addon hardware accessory it won't.

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, since the Wii in question is the japanese variety, it should be ok then. the codejunkies site is actually advertising that the Freeloader "Works with Wii" ... but only the most recent version. My old ver.1.0 definitely is not being recognized, so I'm gonna drop the $20 and get a new one. I hate buying the same thing over again, but 25-odd FCN games is too many games to give up.

edit: crap that should be "GCN" games, not FCN.
shy.gif

accolon

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I had a similar question about Action Replay and a European Wii a couple of days ago, and since most people say that it doesn't work at all while the Datel website states that it "works with Wii" (no region information) I wrote an email to Datel.

They didn't reply yet, but if I ever get an answer, I'll keep you updated.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So perhaps I'm right, and you're right. Both needing the standalone AND the newest version of the software will do it. If that's the case great, yet too bad euros got screwed from the look of it in the post above.

hippojay

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
so... a Freeloader (european) wont work on a PAL Wii?
o.o and it works in NTSC? what the hell...

That's it. Because European Wii has different verification routine and can't detect any Freeloader/Action Replay.
Summary: It works on US and JPN Wii. It doesn't work on EUR Wii.

Yep, second that. My 1.06b freeloader does not work on the PAL wii (no matter how I try to run it) - just get unrecognised disk..

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
the newest freeloader and AR for cube hasn't been released yet even though it says "available immediate" it's not i;m still waiting for my order and i have been waiting 2 and a half weeks now. but the newest ones shown on their website will work with the pal wii's, i guess they are still testing it or worse, they haven't even made it yet...

accolon

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I can confirm what jalaneme says.

I didn't get a reply from Datel, but BigBen (who are distributing Action Replay and Freeloader in Germany) answered to my email. The current versions of AR and FL do indeed work on NTSC Wiis only.

There will be a new version of both discs "available within a few weeks" with support for PAL consoles.

accolon

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Since there seems to be a PAL Wii compatible Freeloader available now (some people say they have it) I'm wondering if anybody received a new (PAL Wii compatible!) version of Action Replay yet.

The Datel website still says the same thing it said weeks ago, "Freeloader / AR are Wii compatible and available immediately".

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
yes i have the new AR for the cube and it works fine with my Wii (Version 1.0E) however Datel it seems has been sending out different versions to users so people have been getting mixed results all versions above version 1.0E don't work but are able to add new codes to the code list, my version 1.0E doesn't have this option, if you order from datel it's going to be pretty random to what you are going to get.

IMO datel rushed this product and didn't test it at all before sending out the discs, with some versions of the disc it won't load on the Wii, problem with control moving down the codelist by itself, not being able to add cheat codes and not even using the memory card supplied to add codes (i use it for a memory card now) what was the point of the dongle thing in the first place if it can't be used? i can't believe datel sold this priced at £19.99 even £29.99 is daylight robbery!

also these games do NOT work with the new AR for cube:

1080° Snwoboarding = Not working with Cheats
Eterneal Darkness = Not working with Cheats
Starfox Adventures = Not working with Cheats
Super Smash Brothers Melee = Works fine
Wave Race = Not working with Cheats
Zelda Master Quest = Not working with Cheats
Zelda Wind Waker = Black Screen after Intro

pretty shabby IMO.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat