GC2-D2B, what is GC2 in terms of Wiikey Compatability?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Rice923, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Rice923
    OP

Member Rice923 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So I'm interested in modding my girlfriends wii, so I'm planning on buying a Wiikey presoldered onto a Wiiclip. I entered the serial number onto the Nintendo Scene Serial Tracker and it tells me that I likely have a GC2-D2B drive and that my drive pins are most likely cut. I thought only D2C and newer drives had cut pins. Am I wrong on that part?

Also, I went to ModChipCentral and I am interested in buying this for the mod (presoldered ofcourse):
    http://www.modchipcentral.com/store/Wii-cl...ikey-p-110.html

Will that be compatable despite the cut drive pins that the serial tracker claims? Also, will the "GC2" identification of the drive make a difference in compatability?
    Also, if I purchased the item above, do I simply open up the wii and get the drive and snap on the clip? I've opened up my own wii before so opening it won;t be a problem.

2. Metalclay

Newcomer Metalclay Member

United States
    definitely wrong on thinking the newer d2c, d2e drives are the only ones that have cut pins.

it's actually d2b where nintendo, if I'm correct started cutting pins. They did this to cut the connection between the pad and the ic, they also lifted the pad (if I remember correctly) so to make you solder directly to ic leg (pain in the ass).

anyway:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=961...p;#entry1284075

Also...don't know if you noticed:

[​IMG]

but that clip won't work for d2b chipsets.

so, just get the d2pro9 v2 with V4C Wiiclip, and install it. I've never used one though, nor installed one, so do some more research or wait for other replies.

d2pro site

3. Rice923
    OP

United States
    I noticed that part of the link, but I was confused by my D2B cutleg assumption. So are there any non-cutleg D2B drives? Also, if I opened up the drive and the legs turn out to be not cut, would my link to the Wiikey + Wiiclip work fine? The D2Pro seems quite pricey, but I'll look into it.

4. Metalclay

Newcomer Metalclay Member

United States
    ya, wiikey will totally work with d2b chipsets cut or not cut. If you're up to the challenge, you can always try bridging the connection between the end of the trace and what's left of the ic leg, and that will work too. it's a lot cheaper than a d2pro9 + wiiclip but waaay harder to install. If you are going to do it, practice soldering on an old mother board or something. get lots of desoldering braid, and a nice solder sucker and indulge in a new tip for your iron.

If you want more leeway with the whole process get a dremel and grind some of the plastic off from the top to expose more of the pin. I really wouldn't recommend this to much since there's always the off chance that you can grind too much and be left with nothing but a loose leg connected to nothing to solder to. So, although grinding a bit off seems easier, personally, I think it isn't. It's way better to just bridge the nub of metal that's there to the end of the trace. If you mess up and end melting the little piece of metal that's there into the plastic, then you should dremel, but...even then I'd be wary because if you messed that up, chances are you're gonna grind off more than you need and even if you don't, you're gonna have a hard time soldering to what bit you rounded off.

if you do decide to go through with it, get good lighting and if you can a fixed magnifying glass so it's easier to do, and flux is your best friend [​IMG] if you can't find the pen, put a bit on a toothpick or something. if you do mess up and can't do it, you can always just use that d2pro9 since it doesn't use those pins anyway.

Here's a thread on doing this with no dremel:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=98496

there's really no way to know though until you open up the wii.

5. Rice923
    OP

United States
    I'll definitely open up the wii sometime. However there is no chance that I'll solder that stuff by myself. I've never had any electronics soldering experience so I'd rather not risk it.

Anyhow, if the legs happen to not be cut when I open it up, is it safe to go with the Wiikey with Wiiclip?

6. wchill

Member wchill Resident chillxpert

United States
    Yeah, it should be fine.