GC having serious problems reading decent DVD-Rs - WHY?

Discussion in 'Nintendo GameCube' started by SG, Apr 6, 2008.

1. SG
    OP

Member SG GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Well, after successfully chippng my Gamecube, I have come across another problem...

Only 1 of the 5 discs that I have burned have worked successfully. The game will boot but only for a few seconds. I then get the error message from the GC saying that the disc cannot be read, even though everything runs perfectly up until then. The disc is running, then it slows to a stop and the GC disc error message comes up.

I've tried this with different games and discs, and the games work on 1 type of disc - a cheapo one. My grade A media of Verbatim discs aren't being read (bar the first few seconds). I'm burning with IMGBurn at 8X and get a verification of the burn by running a verification check, so my guess is a problem with the laser reading the discs?

But how can a decent disc not be read? I don't have many of the cheapo ones and I was going to invest in some mini DVDs (top of the Cube is off ATM) to burn to but at this rate I have no guarantee that the discs will work.

Is there something that I'm missing here? I have heard that it can be a BIOS problem - that lower version of Cobra or GCOS can be more stable. Or a laser correction or something?

Please help!

2. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    Could be. As you probably know, the GC wasn't meant to read DVD-R. Legit games used a DVD-like format instead of actual DVD (even though everyone just calls them DVDs anyway).

Adjusting the laser might help. My GC and Wii aren't modded, so I haven't needed it.

3. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    GCs can be very very fussy. You might need to tweak the laser , a lot of people had to do it when the chips first appeared to get discs to read [​IMG]. As for why a decent disc doesn't read , but a cheapo does , well that's the cube for ya , very weird things. Mine doesn't seem too bad , haven't tried too many as there isn't that great a choice with mini's , but it reads traxdata (g04) and verbatim , but doesn't like cmc mag discs. Before tweaking , I'd give these a try http://svp.co.uk/product/traxdata_4x_8cm_dvd_r_3740 traxdata g04 8cm , most people used to have success with the g04 based stuff. If it don't work , well then it's only £3 gone.

4. SG
    OP

Member SG GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Thanks.

I'm an idiot. I tried several discs and then thought why not just try at 4x. So far I've burned 3 discs, all on the disc brands that didn't work before and they all work flawlessly! Yays!

Now to find mini Verbatims that have Lightscribe surfaces to make my discs look all nice and proper. They're actually just for the kids to trash downstairs as my own games are upstairs and they don't touch them but I may as well make them look cool with proper designs on them. [​IMG]

5. Armadillo

United Kingdom
    You won't find any mini lightscribe discs , you have normal and printable surface , that's it. Never seen anything else.

6. Defiance

Member Defiance oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...

United States
    Did you have to adjust the POT? I'm planning on using Ritek for my Cube..

7. SG
    OP

Member SG GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I didn't adjust anything bar the speed. I have had alot of experience using Ritek and they have gone from being one of the vbest to one of the worst. Don't use them.

Du to the difficulty of getting decent mini DVD-Rs that aren't inkjet, I'm toying with just getting a Viper case and using standard discs.

8. Armadillo

United Kingdom
    I use the traxdata mini's which are g04 and they are fine. I know 2 or so years ago there was issues with the g05 being generally crap and degrading quickly and the later g04's joining them in that regard , but the 8cm discs seemed to of steered clear of that crap or at least the traxdata ones did. Still got my original burns from when the viper first appeared (2 or so years old) and they are fine and as far as know haven't suffered any degrading issues. I was thinking about getting one of the cases when they first appeared (chipped mine as soon as the viper was released , so the cases weren't around straight away) , but left it as I don't think any of them look as good as the original Nintendo case , and some of them did have issues with the colours not matching the original bottom half of the cube and being slightly out of shape.

9. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    as the orignal poster is from the UK i can recomend going to poundland and buying a pack of 4 mini dvd s from there for a £1 i know u are into the grade A stuff but these mini dvd's are very hard to pass over, i use them for gamecube disc on my Wii and they are still working even now.

10. Defiance

United States
  11. SavageWaffle

Member SavageWaffle GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Maybe you didn't burn it curretly.

12. Lazycus

Member Lazycus Rotten

United States
    Buy them! Those are RiTek/RiData G04 mini-DVD-Rs. Your GameCube will love them. Your Wii will too.

Altering the laser potentiometer should always be the last choice. GameCube or Wii. Changing the media/burner/software will usually fix whatever problem you have.

13. Defiance

United States
    YES! Mod Chip Central FINALLY has XenoGC's in stock! [​IMG]

14. PigVenus

Member PigVenus GBAtemp Regular

Sri Lanka
    The GC laser is pretty finicky from everything I've read. My Gamecube has lots of problems even with G04s and this is after I tweaked the laser. You can buy a replacement laser on Divineo for about $24.

EDIT: Out of stock. [​IMG]

15. Defiance

United States
    I ordered a XenoGC. Hope all goes well. [​IMG]