Hacking GC discs not playing

versizzzle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
*EDIT: Sorry for the slightly misleading title, I do not mean GameCube discs, simply DVD-Rs that I have burned GameCube ISOs onto.*

I'm not well-versed in using Backup Loaders at all, so I apologise in advance for any incompetency.

I purchased my Wii in 2006 around Christmastime.

http://gbatemp.net/t...-for-beginners/

I followed Method C (Easiest) to a tee and have not done anything else to my Wii at any point. As a result, I'm running NeoGamma R9 beta 50. I downloaded ISOs of both Mario Power Tennis and Pikmin (GameCube, not Wii) and wrote the image files onto two separate Sony DVD-Rs using ImgBurn 2.5.6.0. The burning process seemed to have no complications apart from the fact that I cannot burn at 1x speed on this laptop; the drive only seems to support 2x at the slowest.

I have experienced the same problem with both games. When I put the DVD-R containing Mario Power Tennis into the Wii initially, it made a loud, brief grinding sound (which may just be due to the fact that my Wii is noisy in general; it makes a continual grinding noise -- albeit different from the one I heard when I put the Mario Power Tennis disc in, I've never heard that noise before -- that gets louder when I play certain games). I ignored this, went to the Homebrew Channel and attempted to load the game via NeoGamma. At first I got an error, the code for which comprised entirely of 0s. It then stated there may have been "no drive connected."

The second time I tried to load the game, it went a little further, seemed to recognise that the game was on the disc, and the screen briefly went from NeoGamma to an entirely green screen before the whole thing stopped and I was sent back to the Wii Menu after the DVD stopped reading. Frustrated, I tried a third time, and this played out similarly to the first attempt, only the error was more specific and NeoGamma read "DVD+R/bad burn/bad ISO" (or something of the sort). I figured this really did just mean it was a bad burn or ISO (again, I am using DVD-Rs), so I burnt my Pikmin ISO (which was a .gcm file originally, but I had renamed it to .iso) to a second DVD-R.

My only attempt to run my Pikmin disc proceeded like the second attempt to run the Mario Power Tennis disc. The last thing I saw in NeoGamma was something about audio streaming before I saw a green screen and the DVD stopped being read and I was taken back to the Wii Menu.

It would be greately appreciated if I could know what to do at this point. Googling whether NeoGamma at its current version could play GameCube games without any software that wasn't mentioned in Method C in the guide I linked at the top of this post (again, before carrying out Method C my Wii was old, but with its default settings) was not simple, and I came to the conclusion that I could play them. I have not attempted to burn or play a Wii ISO yet, because I do not want to waste any more DVDs if the problems I have explained will persist regardless of whether I play a Wii or a GameCube ISO.

I understand that Verbatim DVD-Rs are the optimal brand for burning and playing, and if it seems likely that that is my problem then that is easily fixed (I simply did not have enough money yesterday when I was buying DVD-Rs to buy Verbatims and not Sonys; I can rectify that). Otherwise, does it seem as though I need to further hack my Wii to be able to play GameCube discs? Or is it just a case of poor hardware in my Wii and not a fault of any of the software/discs?

Thanks in advance!

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
Are you using mini dvd-r's and not full sized dvd-r's?

edit: Also, are the isos exactly 1.35gb (1,459,978,240 bytes) long?

versizzzle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Are you using mini dvd-r's and not full sized dvd-r's?

edit: Also, are the isos exactly 1.35gb (1,459,978,240 bytes) long?

I am using full-sized DVD-Rs.

Pikmin is exactly 1,459,978,240 bytes, and Mario Power Tennis, though I have since deleted it, was around that, too. I can't be certain but I am about 95% sure MPT was 1.35 GB, so likely to be the same size.

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
You're suppose to use mini dvd-r's.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried the settings in Neogamma to force video to whatever your TV's standard is? (PAL if I'm reading your location flag correctly)

versizzzle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Have you tried the settings in Neogamma to force video to whatever your TV's standard is? (PAL if I'm reading your location flag correctly)

I haven't, I'll try with each PAL setting (I'm not sure whether my TV is PAL576i, PAL480i or PAL480p so I'll just try all three as well as PAL(auto).

versizzzle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
PAL(auto):

Init drive...
Game ID: GPIE01 (GC)
Audio sreaming set
-Green screen-
Returned to Wii Menu.

PAL576i:

Init drive...
GAME ID: GPIE01 (GC)
Audio streaming set
-Green screen-
Returned to Wii Menu.

PAL480i:

Init drive...
GAME ID: GPIE01 (GC)
Audio streaming set
-Green screen-
Returned to Wii Menu.

PAL480p:

Init drive...
GAME ID: DVD Err(00000000), inquiry
No drive connected?
-Had to manually press B to get to NeoGamma menu-

Each time it green screened, the Force Video option set itself back to Disc.

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sorry to say but I havent heard so much wrong replys in a thread lol.
@OP:
The restart means you havent got a cMIOS or no good BC, to get the recommend cMIOS see here, if you already installed it reinstall it please. For a clean BC you can use modmii, see here.

versizzzle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry to say but I havent heard so much wrong replys in a thread lol.
@OP:
The restart means you havent got a cMIOS or no good BC, to get the recommend cMIOS see here, if you already installed it reinstall it please. For a clean BC you can use modmii, see here.

How do I go about getting both the cMIOS and the BC onto my Wii? I'm very new to this stuff and it's difficult to make sense of a lot of it. My friend talked me through Method C in the beginners' guide, so would I subsequently already have the cMIOS you linked to (NeoGamma R9 b50, d2x56v6 (249) as it reads at the bottom of the screen)? And how do I uninstall/reinstall it if that's what I'm supposed to do? I'm just not sure of the exact processes of doing these things... I'm scared I'll screw something up, so I just need a detailed explanation like the one in the beginners' guide of what to do to feel confident in it.

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The cMIOS installation is really easy, just start the cMIOS installer via the homebrew channel and install it with ios236. You can install the BC with a wad manager, for example this one. Just start the wad manager via homebrew channel, select the BC wad you got from modmii and let it install. This at the bottom of neogamma says something about the cIOS and not about the cMIOS. Oh and after installing everything, make sure you selected gamecube mode internal in the neogamma settings.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: