GC Backup launcher - Using winRAR, can't extract folders?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by puffy, Feb 21, 2009.

1. puffy
    OP

Newcomer puffy Newbie

Australia
    Hey guys I've downloaded the GC Backup launcher app and ave been searching for help on this for ages and found a guide telling me to:

First, extract the .rar file to the location of your choosing. (I use WinRar).
    Then, open the gcbackup file you get (I am not sure what opens this, my computer just does).
    You will get a gcbackup0.1 folder.
    Open it.
    IGNORE ALL THE FILES EXCEPT FOR THE TGZ FOLDER (It may be in WinRar folder-format, aka a zipped folder).
    Open this file.
    Open the folder gcbackup0.1_theta.
    Inside, you will find two folders:
    - miospatcher
    - rungcbackup

Now when I unzip the file (.gz not .rar) I get a .1_v7 file and no folders at all. Is that normal? What can I do? Am I doing it wrong?

2. SilverSurfR

Member SilverSurfR GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Are you using winrar for the whole process? I would, or get 7-zip (it's free). I don't even know if windows has native tar/gz support. I guess this might be what's causing problems.

In WinRAR I open the tgz. inside is a folder, inside that are the sources and another tgz. Open that and it's another folder that contains miospatcher and rungcbackup folders you're looking for.

Also, Xi (new version) is out now, so don't bother with Theta.

3. puffy
    OP

Newcomer puffy Newbie

Australia
    Thank you [​IMG] It worked! lol well now I gotta try it out!

Edit: Homebrew channel open but I can't see either application :S

I have both folders in the apps folder and everyting else is there, do i have to rename anything to boot.dol?

4. BMasterP

Member BMasterP GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    For all the people using winrar often, use Totalcommander then set it up so that it'll automaticly(yeez how do i spell this then) use winrar. options,archiving,winrar then point it to winrar.exe

most easyest thing ever total control over where you stuff is going etc(i know within winrar you can point directions but is still not as easy as the above solution.)

5. puffy
    OP

Newcomer puffy Newbie

Australia
    Ok it's working now [​IMG] Thanks again for your help