Hacking GC Backup Launcher - Quick Questions

Notyalc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, I'm trying to get a GC Backup launcher, but I'm unsure which to get.

So, any suggestions on that'd be appreciated!

I'd like some good compatibilty, although I'll probably only have about ten backed up games at most - so perhaps it's not all that important.

Secondly, how do I get the ISO (or whatever it's called) from the original game's disc? This is quite important for me - & it'll save me downloading versions.

Also - what are the file type's that're burnt on to DVDs?

Thirdly, I've got one GC game downloaded (I thought I'd trial how long it takes to download) & in the folder from the .rar there's a text doc' of some kind & a '.gcm' file.
Is the .gcm file what I burn to a DVD then & that's all?
(On that BTW - No need for any specific filenames or any other conditions? I burn the .gcm & that's all right?)

And finally - on the subject of DVD burning: I know I use DVD Rs, but are DVD+Rs okay to use? Or should I use DVD-Rs?
I've only got +Rs, but I could probably get the other if need be.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
1) With the current MIOS patchers, you don't even need to use a GC backup launcher
You can use Neogamma instead

(note: you need to install/patch the MIOS before you can run GC backups)

2) Not sure about the dumping. There must be an app that can do it

2b) You can burn either .gcm or .iso on the DVD with IMGBurn. It's advised to use the Multigame ISO creator to put more games on one disc.

3) The .gcm file is the game (.gcm is actually the same as .iso)

4) DVD-R works best, but DVD+R will work if you change the booktype to DVD-ROM

Notyalc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
What is IMGBurn? A program that's ideal for this sort of thing?

So, how do I change the DVD+R to DVD ROM Booktype? keeping in mind I don't know what that is or what it entails...

As for the DVD-Rs, I'll buy them instead next time.

And this Mios...as a person who know little about Mios's, could you give me a few directions about getting the right thing & installing please?

Thanks for the Reply BTW, much appreciated!

resincake

Trophies
XP
Country
IMGBurner is a small, freeware burning program (search gogole for a download link).

To change the booktype to DVD-Rom, first select the Image to burn, in IMGBurner, then where you see the dropdown box to select the write speed (use 2x no higher), just to the right of it you'll see a couple little icons. Hover your cursor over them to see what they are. One of them is the booktype. Just press it, select your Burner make and set it to DVDRom. its quite self explanatory and easy to follow. Download IMGBrner and you'll see.

As for the mIOS, you'll need to search for the gamecube BAckup Launcher (preferably version 0.2). Inside the package you download, you'll see the complete source for the program (which you can ignore if you arent interested in editing the programming code) and also, there'll be the GC_Backup_Launcher folder (which as mentioned you can use by copying it into the apps folder on your SDCArd, and use it via the homebrew channel, or alternatively you can simply use Neogamma to load gamecube games). Anyhow, also in the package you'll see mios_installer, if you copy the folder that contains the 'boot.dol' of the mios_installer into the 'apps' directory of your SDCard, then go into your homebrew channel and load it.

When the mios installer program loads, you'll be asked if you want to install v4 v5 or v8 (I think), anyway, you can choose any, different people recommend different versions. Personally I chose v8, which loads all the games I have tried. In the installer before you select install, read the txt and you'll see an option to llow backup loaders to use the mios too, select this option so that Neogamma can use it, then install it, and away you go.

sounds more complicated than it actually is. :>

Good luck

Notyalc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
resincake said:
IMGBurner is a small, freeware burning program (search gogole for a download link).

To change the booktype to DVD-Rom, first select the Image to burn, in IMGBurner, then where you see the dropdown box to select the write speed (use 2x no higher), just to the right of it you'll see a couple little icons. Hover your cursor over them to see what they are. One of them is the booktype. Just press it, select your Burner make and set it to DVDRom. its quite self explanatory and easy to follow. Download IMGBrner and you'll see.

As for the mIOS, you'll need to search for the gamecube BAckup Launcher (preferably version 0.2). Inside the package you download, you'll see the complete source for the program (which you can ignore if you arent interested in editing the programming code) and also, there'll be the GC_Backup_Launcher folder (which as mentioned you can use by copying it into the apps folder on your SDCArd, and use it via the homebrew channel, or alternatively you can simply use Neogamma to load gamecube games). Anyhow, also in the package you'll see mios_installer, if you copy the folder that contains the 'boot.dol' of the mios_installer into the 'apps' directory of your SDCard, then go into your homebrew channel and load it.

When the mios installer program loads, you'll be asked if you want to install v4 v5 or v8 (I think), anyway, you can choose any, different people recommend different versions. Personally I chose v8, which loads all the games I have tried. In the installer before you select install, read the txt and you'll see an option to llow backup loaders to use the mios too, select this option so that Neogamma can use it, then install it, and away you go.

sounds more complicated than it actually is. :>

Good luck

Well, I've downloaded it, the closest names to those 2 folders are 'gcbackuplauncher' & 'miospatcher' (no boot.dol in either...?)

(BTW, there's quite a few folders - no 'boot.dol' - in fact no '.dol's of any kind.)

I'll give it the benifit of the doubt & try both by putting them onto my MicroSD for now & try out my new GC backup through either method- BTW I tried IMGBurn with it, very quick! Very efficient, too just a few minutes!

I have my doubts with these folders, but I'll give 'em a go. Thanks for the help. If I've any problems, I'll post back soon!

Thanks very much for the helpful information people!

Luriden

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been awhile since I've tried GC backups, has the compatibility improved at all? I still have quite a few games that won't run, though I haven't heard anything recently about them working on it.

Notyalc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I tried, didn't work.

Can anyone give me a link to, or to somewhere with the right files please?

Thanks for the help so far people! It's Much Appreciated!

Notyalc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Anyone know where to get these files.

I'm lost. I can't get the either of those folders to show up in the HBC.

Couldn't find the .dol for the mios too (In a folder named 'miospatcher').

Help'd be appreciated!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ending to the fallout series was lame could've gave us a bit more