GC 480p games on a PAL Wii - How?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by kraz, May 8, 2007.

May 8, 2007

GC 480p games on a PAL Wii - How? by kraz at 12:12 PM (1,115 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. kraz
    OP

Newcomer kraz Newbie

Poland
    Good morning GBATemp!

For the past few days I've been fruitlessly trying to run at least ONE gamecube game in 480p on my PAL Wii. The Wii is modded with the latest Chiip. I built a GCOS (Multigame ISO Creator 2.0) multiboot disc with Metroid Prime 2 and F-Zero GX (both PAL), and tried to run Prime 2 in 480p. It runs, but in 480i. It's not possible to force neither game in 480p.
    Thinking that maybe PAL games don't support 480p at all, I downloaded and tried to run the NTSC version of MP2. With GCOS and video mode autodetection the game hangs before the intro screen, and booting it directly just resets the console.

So am I right? Do only NTSC games support 480p? And if yes, how can you make these games run on a modded PAL Wii?
    [​IMG]

2. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    MP2 is only working in PAL60hz (576i 60hz, better than Wii's 50 and 60hz 480i), but it's working on my wii with every video mode I tried, with the orignal game, no multiboot or GCOS.

I don't know if the Wii is switching 480p to 480i while in game, but when running MP2 in 50hz, it switchs the Wii setting in 60Hz 480i, and even after reboot the Wii remains in 60hz.

3. noamkot

Newcomer noamkot Advanced Member

Israel
    kraz, as you suspected, PAL GCs don't support progressive scan.
    If I'm not mistaken, Nintendo said something about not having enough pins and that the PAL ones had to support SCART.
    But you can use NTSC GC games with GCOS, just make sure you boot them while pressing A (auto detect) in the mode select screen and as soon as it starts the game, immediately press and hold B until you see the message asking you about progressive scan.

4. kraz
    OP

Newcomer kraz Newbie

Poland
    Excellent! That did the trick!
    The difference in MP2 between interlaced and progressive is just... wow. Off to play, I suppose [​IMG]
    Thank you very much.

5. pelago

Member pelago Member

United Kingdom
    Cyan, you're making some mistakes regarding resolutions. PAL 60 Hz (same as NTSC) is 480i, PAL 50 Hz is 576i. There's no such thing as 576i at 60 Hz, and no such thing as 480i at 50 Hz.