GBWallpaper turns your Windows 10 wallpaper into a fully fledged Game Boy emulator

gbwallpaper.png

Wallpapers can sometimes be a bit boring. Even if you install several customisation tools, add many widgets to your desktop and put a thousand different images in your slideshow folder, there's always something that feels a bit dull and static. But what if you could say goodbye to all these silly animations, gadgets and skins and get a real dynamic wallpaper, one that would be fully interactive and could also respond to your inputs? How about something that gives you a challenge whenever you minimize a window instead of just letting you stare idly at your icons, links and taskbar? What if you could have... a completely functional Game Boy emulator as your wallpaper?

You've read that right, thanks to the developer rocksdanister and its newly released GBWallpaper tool, it is now a real possibility! The application is essentially a unity-gb emulator wrapper acting as a live wallpaper, which also includes many additional features and customisation options, such as different layouts and an audio visualizer. You can choose to either play the game yourself like you would on any regular emulator or record macros, essentially turning it into a nice animated backdrop. If you're worried about system resource utilisation then don't be, as the emulator will automatically stop when you run fullscreen apps and games.

However, there are a few limitations that need to be addressed. GBWallpaper is currently only officially compatible with Windows 10 and does not support multi-monitor setups; plus some actions, like temporarily switching focus to a window or running some applications, may make the input non-responsive. Finally, if you're a fan of Super Mario Land then you may be disappointed, as the game is currently incompatible with it.

If you're interested, you can find the ReadMe below (as well as a download link in the sources):
From the ReadMe said:
About
Feeling bored with basic picture wallpapers? Want to play a quick game while all windows are minimzed? Well why not just run a full gameboy emulator as desktop wallpaper!
Don't want to play? then disable keyboard input & use Macro input, save sequence of moves & automatically play it back; Like an animated gif wallpaper.
Don't worry about performance overhead, it will pause when running fullscreen games or application.

Download
Latest version: v0.1 (Windows 10 Only)
Unzip the file, select Start.exe to get started.
Save files & settings are stored in \Saved Games\GBWallpaper.

Features
  • Different layouts styles.
  • Emulator will pause when running fullscreen application or games (~0% cpu & gpu usage).
  • Sound & keyboard input will get disabled when not on desktop, game will continue to run.
  • Audio Visualiser for running games.
  • Runs at system startup (optional).
  • Macro input, save sequence of moves & automatically play it back; Like an animated gif wallpaper.
  • Keyboard input & audio can be disabled.
  • Save works for supported games.
What is planned for future release
  • Multimonitor system support.
  • Currently using unity-gb emulator, might switch it with a better one.
  • Better pause algorithm that works in various situations.
  • More macro input options.
  • Bug fixes.
Issues
  • SUPER MARIOLAND crash in menuscreen.
  • Keyboard input sustaining if you hold and change window focus.
  • Currently disabled on multimonitors systems due to bugs/further testing required.
  • Certain applications will interfere with window focus, will require user to click on desktop to give input.
FAQ
Who asked for this?
Saw the suggestion on discord chat, got intrigued; took me longer than expected to make. Is this useless? maybe. Did I waste my time? Possibly. It was a good learning experience & fun to make.

High system usage?
The default style of blurred background is a bit expensive if you don't have dedicated graphics, just use different layout style such as "Simple". Regardless, when fullscreen application or game run it will goto ~0% usage.

Not taking input?
Certain applications can interfere with focus, just click on desktop or taskbar to regain focus.

Where is the source code?
I will update it later after cleanup & final update.

Donation
Support me on Ko-Fi

:arrow: Source
:arrow: Official website

KyleHyde

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
This sounds neat, though I probably won't use it permanently. I tend to like having drawings or other kinds of illustrations as my wallpaper. If this had come out around the time that video wallpapers (with sound) became a thing, I would have used it most, if not, all of the time. Thinking about that has made me feel a bit nostalgic about the animated gif icons you could get from the old Animal Crossing website (GameCube) which I'd set as tiled wallpapers every now and then.

I think you'd like this, @KooPako.

Mama Looigi

If you read this, I'm now your mother
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
This looks awesome! Can’t wait to try out whatever gameboy games I’m keeping in the deep, dark, forgotten ROM storage folder in my hard drive :)
I just have to remember how to get there first :unsure:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Water park was quite fun
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Water park was quite fun