NULL

GBWallpaper turns your Windows 10 wallpaper into a fully fledged Game Boy emulator

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by RattletraPM, May 18, 2019.

1. rocksdanister

rocksdanister Newbie

Newcomer
    May 19, 2019
    India
  2. Xabring

Xabring GBAtemp Fan

Nov 21, 2013
    Mexico
    Somewhere, Earth.
    Macros huh? If you can use save states as part of the macros, that would be some nifty to do a Demo style background.

3. rocksdanister

rocksdanister Newbie

Newcomer
    May 19, 2019
    India
    meh il just port retroarch since people keep asking for it.

4. OrGoN3

OrGoN3 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 23, 2007
    United States
    Wait, do I need to enable "Active Desktop" for this? :ninja:

5. Tex_McBladeSword

Tex_McBladeSword Im Insane! From Earth!

May 16, 2015
    United States
    Wherever I am Needed
  6. DRI2000

DRI2000 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 23, 2015
    I think the idea is pretty cool! Though I have an issue running it. The icon in the tray just shows up for a second and then disappears... I cannot manage the emulator in any way :( Some advise on this?

7. hurrz

hurrz GBAtemp Regular

GBAtemp Patron
    hurrz is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 17, 2017
    Gambia, The
    Which sub?

SuperDan likes this.
  8. SuperDan

SuperDan Im Aware ... Im Unaware

Aug 17, 2016
    United States
    Londoner , Living In Louisiana ...
    hurrz likes this.
  9. Longshot56

Longshot56 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 8, 2018
    United States
    Kakariko Village, Death Mountain Drive
    Imagine being at work, and you can just open a program normally instead of having to close and hide something.

10. geodeath

geodeath GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2006
    London
    It is not just the emulator though... its packaged/wrapped around the windows ecosystem and probably/maybe wpf, just including a few dlls is more than enough to shoot to that size. Also, not everyone has 10tb for sure, but come on, 256megs is nothing these days, even a 'proper' wallpaper for an ultrawide screen can be a few megs in size!

Xabring likes this.
  11. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Yeah, and the entire gameboy library of roms is still less than half the size of that emulator. :ninja:

12. PaBo

PaBo GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2009
    Gambia, The
    this is sadly a screensaver and not a dreamscene

13. geodeath

geodeath GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2006
    London
    So? When the gameboy was conceived, it only had 8kb of ram. Modern high res wallpapers that dont move and dont contain any functionality are a few megs. There is no rational way to correlate between the 2. If you add the amount of 'inflation' on storage media from 1989 to 2019, the whole assembly gameboy core, plus the rom, would actually be bigger than 256mb today. You cant just add or compare numbers like this. Emulators tend to use way more resources than the original hardware, hence the rise of FPGA systems that mimic hardware on a hardware level at a much lower footprint than a computer of a size needed to emulate in similar fashion.

At the end of the day, if 256mbs today seem like something that is out of your league, just dont use it, use a static wallpaper using screenshots. I am not going to use it, not because of the size, but because of the cpu drawing things i wont be seeing 99% of the time (unless they made it that smart!).

NULL