Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think OP meant third party "adapter" such as this,
http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/17a5/

To be clear, it is incorrect to call these devices "adapter", since it doesn't simply rewire pins from one cartridge format to another. Official Super GameBoy for SNES and GBA Player for GameCube contain actual GB and GBA hardware. These official adapters are really no different from actual hardware. GB and GBA game are run directly on these "adapters" while borrowing SNES/GameCube ability to output video/audio.

Third-party GBA to SNES adapter most certainly use emulation instead of actual hardware to get GBA game working on SNES. Compability is worse than official "adapter".

P

pasc

That SNES Adapter is merly using the SNES as power source...
It even has its own video out cable...
Its just a standalone GBA without Display...

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well the devices are all third party and not officially made by Nintendo. I was just wondering why there isn't a GBC one.
Because these adapters are generally in niche market. Super Game Boy and Game Boy Player all ended up being financial failure for Nintendo. Since actual hardware parts are used, they are very expensive to produce.

Third party adapter doesn't have access to actual hardware parts, instead opt for ASIC-based emulation. Like I said, compatibility is no good for these unofficial adapters.

Honestly if I want to play GB/GBC on big screen I would use Gambette.

VincentBeasley

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Third party adapter doesn't have access to actual hardware parts, instead opt for ASIC-based emulation. Like I said, compatibility is no good for these unofficial adapters.
The compatibility is just fine lol The only problem is that none of them support GBC carts. I'd really like to play GB, GBC and GBA physical carts on my super Nintendo. If they are able to make both GB and GBA "Adapters" then why not GBC too?

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The compatibility is just fine lol The only problem is that none of them support GBC carts. I'd really like to play GB, GBC and GBA physical carts on my super Nintendo. If they are able to make both GB and GBA "Adapters" then why not GBC too?
Niche market, not enough market demand.

You probably better off waiting for Retron 5, but even then it is still ASIC-emulation (albeit with HDMI video out).

FireValk01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
then i must have had a special one because i could play gbc games in my supergameboy.
but then again the ones that did work i may not have been getting their full use.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Some GBC games worked, some didn't. This is because the Super Game Boy had a limited amount of space for Palette info due to being based on the Game Boy hardware, not the Game Boy Colour hardware.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Game_Boy

As for the official GBA adapter for the N64, the Wide Boy, it was a development tool which contained an entire GBA inside of it and only piggy-backed on the system. Anything else is third-party, meaning a technological free-for-all.

cdoty

Trophies
Website
www.rastersoft.net
XP
Country
United States
Some GBC games worked, some didn't. This is because the Super Game Boy had a limited amount of space for Palette info due to being based on the Game Boy hardware, not the Game Boy Colour hardware.

Are you sure these games aren't the hybrid GB/GBC games? There were games that ran normally on the GB, but would do something extra on the GBC.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Are you sure these games aren't the hybrid GB/GBC games? There were games that ran normally on the GB, but would do something extra on the GBC.

Maybe, you're probably right, I never bothered to check. I know for a fact that full-blown GBC games wouldn't work due to insufficient hardware unless they were designed to work in some compatibility mode when in the adapter.

Here's a complete list of compatible games if someone's interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_Game_Boy_games

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried GBC only games (clear case, different mold than GB games) in a Super GameBoy, yeah, they don't work, just put up a message saying to use it in a GBC or something like that (same as if you use a Game Genie to get them to fit into an original GameBoy and turn it on). Hybrid games (black case, same mold as GB games) work but work just like they would in a GB, no support for any of the GBC features (colors, extra dungeons in Zelda DX, etx) but sometimes there were Super Gameboy borders in the carts (Dragon Warrior ports had these).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.