GBC First Person Shooter, Tyrannosaurus Tex Finally Gets Released!

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Hadrian, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]
    I've been waiting a very long time for this! There is a long history behind the development and issues the developer Slitherine had with getting this game out. At one point it was about to be released by Eidos (who canned it as they felt GBA was the way to go) and even Take Two were going to release it...they wanted it to be a Duke Nukem game but the devs couldn't change things in time. Then it was canned, and the developer just went to making "meh" strategy titles (and really bad ones for the DS) instead.​
    Now however after 13 years a prototype has been released!​
    I'm not going to directly link to the site though as I am unsure of the legality of the ROM but GoNintendo has linked it and if you follow their link and go to the very bottom of the site there is a download:​
    [​IMG] Linky
    That site also mentions a very nooby "Save T-Tex" Yahoo Group that I did myself with an ex of mine way back! God I was so young and naive back then!​
    NOTE: Only works with the emulator KiGB and Bung flash cards. I myself can't quite get it to go past the menu screen on KiGB but it works on my Bung card, runs OK but it is clearly not finished, it's quite buggy. This seems to be a very early version as I've seen video footage on IGN that looked smoother and showed the blasty bits on the guns. Maybe one day we'll see the full one appear.​

Auyx likes this.
  2. mechadylan

Member mechadylan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    - 13 single-player levels, with 7 completely playable
    - Multiplayer is missing from this build
    - The back-up file currently only works on the KiGB emulator and Bung Doctor GB Card flash cartridges

:blink: Wait, wut? Meaning that this once had a multiplayer function? Or it should? Co-op or versus? In either case, I'm strangely attracted to this.

3. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    Yep, it had deathmatch via link cable.

IGN had a lot of coverage for this, they even had a very positive "hands on" with a more final copy but the link to that has now gone, same with a lot of footage that they had which looked very promising.
    http://uk.ign.com/articles/2000/01/19/talking-tyrannosaurus-tex

I do recall that it once had 8-9 enemies on screen without any slowdown. In this prototype a lot of the enemies don't move at all, there is zero AI but it does kinda show the engine working well in such a early version.

4. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Waaay too confusing. I could see myself getting frustrated over that game a LOT.

5. jimmyemunoz

Member jimmyemunoz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    It runs on no$GMB

6. minexew

Member minexew ayy lmao

Czech Republic
    inb4 commented disassembly

geoflcl likes this.
  7. Attila13

Member Attila13 Praise the Creep!

Romania
    GOTY 2013! :creep:

8. DinohScene

Member DinohScene The Gift of Dino

Antarctica
    Still going to play this.
    I <3 this kind of stuff!

9. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    "Released" isn't quite accurate, as it implies a legitimate release. I'd say closer to "leaked", although that's not quite accurate either.

10. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/released

Released is accurate.

11. The Real Jdbye

Member The Real Jdbye D:

Norway
    The "cutscene" backgrounds look surprisingly good for the GBC. The rest of the game looks more like what you'd expect though.
    Were there many FPS games for the GBC? Doesn't seem like the controls suit them very well.

12. DJPlace

Member DJPlace P!ssed OFF Pyscho of GBA!!

United States
    I could not get it to run on the KiGB, I'll try no$GMB. I only want to see the game over screen.

13. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    Only other one was Faceball 2000 for the GB, nothing else for GBC. This played very well, one button shoots, one opens doors and strafes when held. Controls just as well as Wolfenstein would which is cool for a prototype.

In KiGB goto Options, Pallette and then change it from "Original GB" to NO$GB.

14. XDel

Member XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

United States
    I think if this were the 90's and Gameboy Color was still being sold in stores and we didn't have so many portable FPS options...

I'd have fallen in love with this game! As of now, it's too little too late. A shame it never got a proper release.

15. ccdeal30
    This message by ccdeal30 has been removed from public view by Depravo, Mar 20, 2013.
    Mar 20, 2013
  16. buyme200
    This message by buyme200 has been removed from public view by p1ngpong, Mar 23, 2013.
    Mar 23, 2013
  17. buyme205
    This message by buyme205 has been removed from public view by p1ngpong, Mar 25, 2013.
    Mar 25, 2013
  18. buyme210
    This message by buyme210 has been removed from public view by Densetsu, Mar 28, 2013.
    Mar 28, 2013
  19. buyme219
    This message by buyme219 has been removed from public view by p1ngpong, Mar 30, 2013.
    Mar 30, 2013
  20. retrogames

Newcomer retrogames Newbie

United Kingdom