Homebrew GBC emulator that can display SGB border

gumbyx84

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As the title states, I'm trying to find a GBC emulatorhat can support GBC games while showing the SGB border. There are a few emulators on the PC and Mac that do this, but I can't seem to find one for GBA and DS.

Best example of what Im looking for is below.
KiGBscreenshot.png

Does such an emulator exist?

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Don't think so, since that border is quite large... but supposedly Lameboy does?
Someone mentioned it in another thread not long ago (asking about changing colors).

gumbyx84

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
Don't think so, since that border is quite large... but supposedly Lameboy does?
Someone mentioned it in another thread not long ago (asking about changing colors).QUOTE(Exaltys @ Jan 20 2011, 09:25 PM) Lameboy does.
Lameboy only does GBC or SGB, not both. I am looking for both at the same time, like in my screenshot.

Xastabus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The image you posted is of LoZ:LA DX. That happens to be a GBC game that has an SGB boarder encoded in it. Other than that the game graphics and colors are the same whether you play it on a GBC or the SGB. So SGB mode is pretty much what you are asking for.

Game specific boarders were an extra feature of GBC games (i.e. part of the game) that SGB owners could enjoy, but not every GBC game has them. I'm pretty sure most of them didn't include any boarders.
(I forget if the game specific boarders worked with the Game Cube Game Boy Player.)

There were a few boarders built into the SGB, but Lameboy doesn't have them probably because that would be copyright infringement and the developer would get sued.

Basically, the boarders available are dependent on the GBC rom in use.

D

Deleted-236924

Xastabus said:
Other than that the game graphics and colors are the same whether you play it on a GBC or the SGB. So SGB mode is pretty much what yo
Hum, you obviously don't know what you're talking about.
The colors aren't the same between GBC and SGB mode at all.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Goomba Color does this, when the right settings are used. SGB borders and GBC colors at the same time, which isn't normally possible. Lameboy can only do one or the other. Example screenshot:

screenyep.png

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Open the settings and set GBC mode to Off and SGB mode to On. Again, this will run it in SGB mode which will give you the border, but limits you to only 4 colors as per the SGB.

gumbyx84

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can also have GBC mode set to "If Needed".

I'm assuming there is no GB/GBC emulator that does this or that no one reads the topic because they assume I mean just SGB mode like twiztidsinz and Exaltys did.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
gumbyx84 said:
You can also have GBC mode set to "If Needed".

I'm assuming there is no GB/GBC emulator that does this or that no one reads the topic because they assume I mean just SGB mode like twiztidsinz and Exaltys did.
I understood what you meant... I just didn't know how to get borders to show on Lameboy at all so I figured that if it could show the borders it would be what you wanted.
I didn't think it would be such a hard thing to have both.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gumbyx84 said:

... you asked for a GBC emulator for the GBA or DS that can support both GBC colors and SGB borders at the same time, and provided a screenshot as an example. I listed Goomba Color, a GBC emulator for the GBA that can support both GBC colors and SGB borders at the same time, and provided a screenshot of the same game as an example. To my knowledge, that was what you wanted, right?

Am I missing something here or did I misunderstand your original post?

gumbyx84

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since I posted this int he DS homebrew forum, I assumed people would understand I am looking for a DS GBC emulator that does this. I only mentioned GBA because I couldn't find one that could do it for the GBA either. After looking into it, Goomba Color does do this, but its GBA only.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, gotcha. My apologies for being snarky. Unfortunately there is nothing for the DS that will accomplish this task to the best of my knowledge, so Goomba Color will have to do. Shame that Lameboy isn't being actively worked on or that could become a feature request for the guy.

gumbyx84

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ya had a feeling. I was hoping Goomba Color was going to be ported over to DS, but that doesn't look like its going to happen. Neither does Lameboy getting the feature added into a future release. At this point, Im going to have get a DSTWO or to hold out for a DSi GBA emulator in order to do this.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just curious, but is there any particular reason you want this set up?
IMO, the 1.5x Zoom of Lameboy is better than a border.

And you have a 3-in-1, so the Goomba Color option is still viable for you.

gumbyx84

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
Just curious, but is there any particular reason you want this set up?
IMO, the 1.5x Zoom of Lameboy is better than a border.

And you have a 3-in-1, so the Goomba Color option is still viable for you.
I like to have the border for some games (Dragon Warrior 1 and 2 for example) but would like to retain the full color palette of the GBC. Also, I've seen that it is possible on some PC GBC emulators (along with simulate playing the game on a GBA to unlock GBA-only content) so I was wondering it was possible on the DS.

3-in-1: How to you access the GB/GBC ROMs on your Slot 1 when you are booted to your Slot 2?

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
gumbyx84 said:
3-in-1: How to you access the GB/GBC ROMs on your Slot 1 when you are booted to your Slot 2?
Well... Goobma Color creates a GBA game that is the Emulator + Game(s).
From there you'd run it like any other GBA game.

Goomba Color comes with a program to automate making the "ROM" called Goomba Front.
First you select the GB Emulator (goomba.gba usually, _mb.gba if you have problems with multiboot and _save32 if you have problems with the save size).
Then you can select the name of the GBA file you'll create (or skip this til the end).
And below that is a list of all the GB/GBC games found (starts in the Goobma Color folder) you can double click to add.
On the list of added files you can choose to rename them, they default to the header name.
Then click Compile near the bottom.

If you have just one game, it autoboots it.
If you have multiple, it starts to play the game and has an overlay with the names. You'll have to use the arrows to select the game and press A or Start to run it properly.

Given that Goomba Color takes up ~0.1MB, I'd suggest making one GBA file for each GB/GBC game, unless you feel like messing around with what looks like a trimmer app included with the files.

gumbyx84

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
gumbyx84 said:
Well... Goobma Color creates a GBA game that is the Emulator + Game(s).
From there you'd run it like any other GBA game.

Goomba Color comes with a program to automate making the "ROM" called Goomba Front.
First you select the GB Emulator (goomba.gba usually, _mb.gba if you have problems with multiboot and _save32 if you have problems with the save size).
Then you can select the name of the GBA file you'll create (or skip this til the end).
And below that is a list of all the GB/GBC games found (starts in the Goobma Color folder) you can double click to add.
On the list of added files you can choose to rename them, they default to the header name.
Then click Compile near the bottom.

If you have just one game, it autoboots it.
If you have multiple, it starts to play the game and has an overlay with the names. You'll have to use the arrows to select the game and press A or Start to run it properly.

Given that Goomba Color takes up ~0.1MB, I'd suggest making one GBA file for each GB/GBC game, unless you feel like messing around with what looks like a trimmer app included with the files.
Oh. Didn't know thats how it worked. I have a mac, so I'd run into problems trying to build the Goomba ROM.

BTW: if Goomba Color is only 0.1MB, why not just add all the ROMs to one file? Are there problems with multiboot?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Going.