GBAtemp's Gaming Fight Club #3: Metroid vs Castlevania

smackdown.jpeg

Shout Out to @Flame for this weeks fight!

Hello everyone and welcome back to a new GBAtemp Series by yours truly, the GBATEMP FIGHT CLUB!
Here's how Fight Club throws down tempers and temptresses. I'm going to take either 2 franchises, 2 characters, 2 specific games, or 2 of SOMETHING gaming related, and I'm going to pit them against each other for your enjoyment. But how do we declare a victor you may ask? That's where you come in!

The way this will work is I will give a brief synopsis of the two rivaling entities, and leave it up to all of you to vote and debate which one is the better being, and why that is. A combination of the poll votes, and the arguments made in this thread, will determine the victor! I will take poll votes into account for the most part, but the supporting arguments will also heavily decide who the victor will truly be.

This will be an attempted weekly act every Monday, where a victor will be chosen and a new round will begin, so you will have one week to argue and determine who or what the better of the two is. So without further ado, let's get to our competitors this week:

METROID VS CASTLEVANIA
latest
We have a term in the gaming world for exploratory sidescrolling adventure/platforming titles. We call them, Metroidvania's, rightfully and wonderfully established by our two competitors this week.

270240.jpg

We can thank Metroid and the Later Super Metroid, for establishing the standard of the Metroidvania concepts. Metroid was a revolutionary adventure title that broke linear elements and created one of the most amazing scifi universes in Nintendo's arsenal.

custom_castlevania_logo_by_lostplumber_tman1593-d5167ef.png

But our competitor also created the other half of this concept. Specifically Castlevania: Symphony of The Night, establishing and using a large open world to explore, the need to acquire key items to enter certain areas, and the ability to improve the player-character.

These franchises are so similar in gameplay, but so wonderfully different in story. Both are titans that created the standard of Metroidvania's, but only ONE can be the victor!

If you have a suggestion for what the next fight should be, leave a post on my profile page!

NeohopeSTF

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would have to go with Castlevania. Symphony of the Night and Aria of Sorrow are true masterpieces, although Super Metroid is amazing in its own right.

D

Deleted User

I enjoyed Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission. The other 2D Metroids I never enjoyed as much as most people did. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin were awesome. I didn't enjoy Order of Ecclesia, though I blame that on unrelated matters in my life when I was playing it. Never got far into SOTN, maybe I will get around to playing it one day. My vote goes to Castlevania.

Slightly off topic
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (a Metroidvania game) was great. Will definately get Half Genie Hero.

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
I enjoyed Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission. The other 2D Metroids I never enjoyed as much as most people did. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin were awesome. I didn't enjoy Order of Ecclesia, though I blame that on unrelated matters in my life when I was playing it. Never got far into SOTN, maybe I will get around to playing it one day. My vote goes to Castlevania.

Slightly off topic
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (a Metroidvania game) was great. Will definately get Half Genie Hero.

I had the same experience as you with both Castlevania and Metroid. Don't worry, I think OoE sucked for its overly heavy reliance on the weakness/resistance system, causing you to halt your progress and switch your weapons every few seconds, so it wasn't just you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1