Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ewin Expansion Pack Review
Official GBAtemp Review
eep_box_and_cart.jpg

I finished my review of the Ewin Expansion Pack, which allows slot-1 flashcart users to play GBA games hopefully quicker and easier than than it's main competitor, the EZ-Flash 3 in 1. Ewin mainly makes slot-2 carts and they have not yet made a slot-1 flashcart, but their slot-2 efforts were generally well-received and all-round good products, therefore I have high hopes for this!

icon11.gif
Ewin Expansion Pack Review

icon11.gif
Discuss this review

icon11.gif
Official Ewin Website/Forums (Chinese)

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I was going to give it a 5/10 on the old system, the bronze award is for carts that would have gotten a 5 or 6. And I agree, the compatibility isn't exactly perfect at the moment
frown.gif

- Sam

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Based on the 'save is corrupt' messages that Mario Advance 4 and Pokemon gave, this cart must not support 128KB saves. That is exactly what happens if you patch one of those games with GBATA (thus converting to 64KB saves) and run it from PSRAM on the 3-in-1. That isn't much of a problem though, there are only a couple of games that use 128KB saves that won't still save properly when patched to use 64KB saves.

It's too bad about the compatibility. I would buy one of these just for the faster loading speed if the compatibility were as good as the 3-in-1. Hopefully they will fix it, but I'm not holding my breath.

PTtouch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I bought one ewin from psxboy and I'm happy with it so far even though I haven't had much time to try all the games I want.

About compatibility issues and all that..well in my opinion we must see which games would we like to play in the first place...for instance i don't care about the problem with doom II since there's a DS Doom; Rayman 3 and Crash XS I'm not planning on playing them since I like those games better on the playstation or their DS versions so it isn't much of a problem in my view! It doesn't have cheats tho..it could have (I wouldn't mine having those rare items on pokemon and such
tongue.gif
)
Of couse - and don't get me wrong - I would like to see it's loader more developed and with higher compatibility nonetheless, but we must really filter what we wish to play and see if the cart fits our needs, having 100% comp. isn't all.
So if you only intend to play Zelda, pokémon (without time based events), super mario and some others "mainstream" games I would recommend this cart for sure.

Alastair

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Dardon

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I took a glance at reading it. Seems like if they continue to work on the current problems it has with game, it might shape up to be good. Also I didn't see this mentioned in the review, but I take it there's no RAM expansion for homebrew/opera browser?

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I took a glance at reading it. Seems like if they continue to work on the current problems it has with game, it might shape up to be good. Also I didn't see this mentioned in the review, but I take it there's no RAM expansion for homebrew/opera browser?

I'm pretty sure there's 32MB of RAM for Browser/Homebrew. (Twice as much as the 3 in 1)
I think Sam just forgot to put that in.
biggrin.gif

~Nero

Alastair

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't think this expansion pack has a bright future. The price is reasonable but its competition is still very cheap and has (in all of my experiences) perfect GBA compatibility.

Anyone who cares about what comes out of their mouths (or fingers in this case) and of course the fellow that I quoted above this quote.
wink.gif

Edit: I'll never understand why people hate to be corrected. Someone needs to do it though and I won't stop. I don't want to see English evolve into the "slanguage" that American has become.

Icarus

fire walk with me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've just orderes this from Gaming Lagoon. I think 3 in 1 had lots of problems, especially with the saves and patching. I'm not too much of a GBA player but this should do it, I guess.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
Edit: I'll never understand why people hate to be corrected. Someone needs to do it though and I won't stop. I don't want to see English evolve into the "slanguage" that American has become.

All language is an evolution. Time to get off the high horse.

Anyway, on topic. Good review. Personally I like the Ewin/DSTT GBA expansion card more than the 3in1. The auto-patching and save management is ace
wink.gif

Alastair

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
All language is an evolution. Time to get off the high horse.
It is but that does not mean that we have to embrace the fact that English's going to the dogs. I'm not getting off the high horse - I'll never ignore the rules of my language even though most Australians are half-way to being the fifty-first state.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The auto-patching and save management is ace
wink.gif

Auto patching is a good idea, I'm a little rusty with GBA patching now
smile.gif

Too bad, I have a DS Phat, it should be in Cons that it's only for Lite users.

I didn't find how the saves works.
the saves from the epprom or flash are written back to the slot1 ?
- Does it create a file per game ? which format ? Can we import saves from another gba flash card format ?
- Or 1 save file for the loader.nds (managed by the slot1) with all the gba saves inside ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: I have it in my hands