Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
GBAtemp's Official Ewin 512 + Passme Review

boxtop.jpg

GBAtemp's Official review of the Ewin 512 + Passme is now up! You can check it out here.

The Ewin is a GBA flashcart with DS support using it's own patching and burning software. To find out how this flashcart stands up to others be sure to check out GBAtemp's review. Next up on the review list is the G6-Flash 3 which will be reviewed very soon.

All comments can be left in this thread.

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I have a question - should I consider buying this over an EFA-Linker? (not II) Or perhaps even another cart.
I do not care at all about the NDS features (though I may still use them) all I want is a good GBA flash cart.
What I want is the best compatibility (ie. no patching if it can be helped) and a long battery time (EFA seems to be the best in this department so far) - oh and it must be able to play 512mbit games (hence my not considering EFA-II, as it only has 256mb of uncompressed space) and have a RTC (see compatibility
tongue.gif
). Pretty much everything else (flashing times, media players) are irrelevent to me.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
How long is the battery life? I have just encountered the 3 hour battery life issue on my G6 (possibly only when I play Mario Kart?) Anyway if you play Mario Kart how much time do you get out of your battery on the Ewin?

I'm not sure, I did not play Mario Kart on the Ewin. But it's not just the G6 flash I can assure you. the original game even drains the battery of the DS rather rapidly.

QUOTE said:
I have a question - should I consider buying this over an EFA-Linker? (not II) Or perhaps even another cart.
I do not care at all about the NDS features (though I may still use them) all I want is a good GBA flash cart.
What I want is the best compatibility (ie. no patching if it can be helped) and a long battery time (EFA seems to be the best in this department so far) - oh and it must be able to play 512mbit games (hence my not considering EFA-II, as it only has 256mb of uncompressed space) and have a RTC (see compatibility tongue.gif). Pretty much everything else (flashing times, media players) are irrelevent to me.

Well, I'm not sure I'm the best person to answer that question. I don't have an EFA-Linker.
When you say it must be able to play 512mbit sized games you do mean DS games right? Because gba games only go upto 256mbit, no bigger. In that case I could recommend the EZ-Flash 3 1Gbit. For gba games I've found it to be the best so far and I'd prefer it's boot-loader over the pogoshell-like Ewin. DS support for the EZ-Flash 3 is just starting out but It can play DS roms upto 1gbit in size directly from the EZ-Disk. As far as batteries go I didn't make any specific tests but just from general playtime and testing I would say the battery lasts as long as an EZ-Flash 3, which is quite good since it uses a low power-saving battery. But as I said I'm not sure how it compares to the EFA-Linker. Perhaps just look up the price of the flashcarts you are thinking of buying and use that as the determining factor.

Now, I have a 512 XROM and a launch date DS. Do I only need to buy the Ewin Passme?

Yes. The Ewin passme should work for you. But the X-Rom will only work with DS games using NDSpatcher or Loadme remember. Homebrew should work as well (although the homebrew scene seems to be all but non-existent
frown.gif
)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr