hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GBAtemp's EDGE Review
Official GBAtemp Review

That new team that came relatively out of nowhere offering another addition to the growing list of budget slot-1 carts. Is it a CycloDS clone? Is it a stinker? Is it awesome ? Read on to find out.

Feel free to leave your comments and questions in response to this thread.

icon11.gif
GBAtemp EDGE Review
icon11.gif
EDGE Homepage

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
So explain again how this ISN'T a CycloDS clone?
Well a clone would mean it's the same, this cart is more like a wanabe.
From the inside the difference is that the CycloDS has storage for the firmware, the Edge stores the firmware on the MicroSD itself.
Also, feauture-wise CycloDS has more feautures like Real Time Save or something, Slowmotion and the Ingame menu, also the skinning does work.
Also if it was a clone the firmware would be interchangable or something, as one installs the firmware on internal memory and the other just on the MicroSD, they aren't.

So unless your definition of a clone is other then "the same", it's not one.

AndreXL

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
No mention of Castlevania DoS Movie playback and Castlevania PoR if hangs or not?
If it's a Cyclo Clone, should be ok. Still, worth a mention, ya?

bomma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I wouldn't recommend to buy the DS EDGE from Dealextreme.com since they're allready sold out. DX seems to have a lot of problems with stock lately. Also, It's Chinese New Year so orders will take even longer than before to be processed

ackers

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
They completely ripped the CDSE interface. I mean wtf? Did they get hold of the CDSE source (minus the enhanced features) or something or did CDSE sell them part of the source? Idk...

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Great review!
I'm actually surprised by the quality of this cart... I'd never heard of it before and it appears to be quite good.
A good, cheap solution; and hopefully they'll continue providing updates and fixes.

Kamgusta

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
I wouldn't recommend to buy the DS EDGE from Dealextreme.com since they're allready sold out. DX seems to have a lot of problems with stock lately. Also, It's Chinese New Year so orders will take even longer than before to be processed
ShitExtreme shipped it to me (or I hope so) only after repeated tickets... Typical shop where Buy-and-Forget is the way to go.
They completely ripped the CDSE interface. I mean wtf? Did they get hold of the CDSE source (minus the enhanced features) or something or did CDSE sell them part of the source? Idk...
I think Cyclo GUI is the best, so that's good. Too bad no skinning ability.

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So explain again how this ISN'T a CycloDS clone?

I never said that it wasn't, and actually mentioned several times that it was similiar.
As far as I can recall, the menu look EXACTLY the same now that I can see them in full English. (I'm still waiting for my replacement Evolution to show up.)

Could you try running dslinux on it? I'd like to know if it works, as I am thinking about picking up a 3rd cart. (I'd go with an Acekard RPG, but I find their price to be too steep for what it is.)

Trulen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man. Sometimes I wish I didn't go and fork 60 bucks over for a CycloDS (though I love it to bits).

These new carts coming out just do so much for so cheap!

jenngcia

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
The problem with Flash carts, is that since they deal with grey areas of the law, there's no IP protection for them either... So Edge could be reverse engineered, could be rip-off, could be stolen code, could even be from the same (Cyclo) team (who might want to produce a mass market, low margin, but high volume product).

A little off topic Q: Did M3 ever acknowledge that the M3 Simply is a R4 clone (Or is it a rebranded R4)?

Actually, I feel that given that out-of-the-blue, every (new) flash cart is just coming out with 100% compatibility and the like, it might just that the underlying code of all these might be similar and lifted right out of the R4... I know cheat codes and some other stuff are not the same, but the main code for running the DS programs might be similar, with every flashcart producer adding or subtracting as they see fit, to differentiate themselves... Just another conspiracy theory....
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM