Gbatemp Wiki Staff

Danny600kill

xD
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The truth of the matter is that the GBAtemp wiki is out of date, I know its hard to accept but its true

It might just be me but I enjoy reading up on the history of things and recently I have been interested the history of the Temp. I have read everything on the wiki but it seems to be missing a lot and most of it hasn't been updated for a long time.

I was thinking that someone could be in charge or keeping the Wiki up to date and then people may start using it again. To be truthful it would be a large job with a lot of reading and investigating and would take some time but I think it would defiantly be worth it.

I understand that there are more important things to do to maintain the site but I'd love it if you could just look into it.

Thank you for reading this guys ( and gals )

Edit:
Law just pointed out a huge flaw in my suggestion ( Thanks )

The job would be to large for one person ad he would have to much complaining if he made a mistake
It would be easier if the Wiki was opened up to user submission but information had to be approved to stop vandalism. This would decrease the time taken for the moderator to do their job and may deter people from posting useless information as it would not be used anyway

And just to mention this is not a '' request to become moderator thread '' its just a thought I had, so please don't post saying '' I will be it ''
Just to back myself up on that point

Ace Gunman said:
Just so this doesn't turn into what I think it's going to turn into: I like the idea of a Wiki staff and I've long been a fan of what the Wiki could potentially do for the site, but what I'm suggesting is only the possibility of pursuing that idea at this moment. It's far too early to start thinking about who would be involved in that, and more than likely it would be a hand-picked group.

So for all of you volunteering, we appreciate it, and we'll take it into consideration, but right now we're not at that stage in the process.
^^
The reason to this is self explanatory

Thanks

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
It's not really hard to accept, it's absolutely true.
tongue.gif
And I think you're correct, it does need an active staff to keep it up to date. I do a bit from time to time, generally when it comes to locking/unlocking pages, keeping order, and so on. Perhaps forming a Wiki staff is something we could look into.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'd like to help out on this, not necessarily with any staff powers, but just correct and add to the information on the wiki. A lot of members have come and gone in the meantime, and it'd be nice for new members to see what great members GBAtemp has had, and maybe use the coolest guys as a role model. Of course, the information about consoles, hacking and modding needs a major overhaul too, which in the end might cause less noobie/newbie threads posted everywhere.

I hope some people want to help out
smile.gif

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ace Gunman said:
tongue.gif
And I think you're correct, it does need an active staff to keep it up to date. I do a bit from time to time, generally when it comes to locking/unlocking pages, keeping order, and so on. Perhaps forming a Wiki staff is something we could look into.

ace, guild also brought this up.. and i would love to work on the wiki..

you page it out dated

"acegunman is now red" :wft:

lol

but in all seriousness i would love to help

~ifish

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Just so this doesn't turn into what I think it's going to turn into: I like the idea of a Wiki staff and I've long been a fan of what the Wiki could potentially do for the site, but what I'm suggesting is only the possibility of pursuing that idea at this moment. It's far too early to start thinking about who would be involved in that, and more than likely it would be a hand-picked group.

So for all of you volunteering, we appreciate it, and we'll take it into consideration, but right now we're not at that stage in the process.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ifish said:
Ace Gunman said:
tongue.gif

you page it out dated

lol

~ifish
Maybe in the future as soon as you improve your spelling and grammar.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Sorry for this post, seems like I can't edit posts with the PSP Browser... Anyways, here's another idea: every member gets the right to fill in some basic information on his/her own wiki page, which then first needs approval. Afterwards, other members can 'rate' them, providing a valid reason. Of course, those opinions need staff approval, too. Same for flashcarts, etc. Members can rate the card and in a short note mention what they think are the pros and cons of the flashcart. It should work
biggrin.gif

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
jakethekiller said:
ifish said:
Ace Gunman said:
tongue.gif

you page it out dated

lol

~ifish
Maybe in the future as soon as you improve your spelling and grammar.

shut up troll. i would use spell check

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hate to break it to ya, but jakob's right. Spell check doesn't work. Take some more time for typing something to make sure there's no mistakes in it.

Now, let's not start a flame war, please.

Danny Tanner

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I always liked Wikitext. If there's some clear direction (ie, someone saying 'This week we'll work on the NDS flashcarts A-L or something rather than a willy-nilly run to correct over each other's work) I'd love to help work on this, it'd be a great go-to resource. Plus since GBAtemp has more members and is generally more active than card/program specific forums, I could see this wiki staying more updated than the more specific ones on the scene (once it's up to speed, that it).

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
This could work out well in theory, but before there can be wiki staff we need users that actually make edits. I mean: many people want to help and many have suggested this, but a lot of them haven't even made an account yet...
I know that the system allows you to edit stuff without logging in, but you can't make a specific IP Wiki staff...

What I basically mean: You don't need to be Wiki Sysop to make useful edits, you can already start improving the Wiki. It's best to make an account so all your contributions can be easily traced and the best members can be promoted.
smile.gif

Also, The Wiki staff should probably consist of members that have been here for a while (like 1 or more years or something). Not that new members don't know anything about the site though
tongue.gif

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
tj_cool said:
This could work out well in theory, but before there can be wiki staff we need users that actually make edits. I mean: many people want to help and many have suggested this, but a lot of them haven't even made an account yet...
I know that the system allows you to edit stuff without logging in, but you can't make a specific IP Wiki staff...

What I basically mean: You don't need to be Wiki Sysop to make useful edits, you can already start improving the Wiki. It's best to make an account so all your contributions can be easily traced and the best members can be promoted.
smile.gif

Also, The Wiki staff should probably consist of members that have been here for a while (like 1 or more years or something). Not that new members don't know anything about the site though
tongue.gif
Good Idea.....I joined up to the WIKI to do a guide on YSMenu, but always thought that's the only page I could edit (I also have some problems with adding images onto my WIKI for some reason) - so I guess I could look at some of the others WIKI & add/update them ??

I also suggested a while back about doing a set of WIKI pages for many of the guides like Moonshell2 setup on various flashcards (which I never followed up on) since some are a little out of date - e.g this one claims latest version is 2.05 ),

So perhaps your suggestion is a good one - those with WIKI accounts (& who are still active here) could spend a little time checking various pages & make the necessary changes

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Bloody Hell !!!!
jawdrop.gif

oops sorry - I've just had a massive shock....

I've been thinking of other WIKI entries that may need updating/overhauling & one of them is Moonshell

There's NOTHING THERE !!!!
scarerun.gif

EDIT: I've made a start using some of the info in Kingdomblades post (hope he doesn't mind)
And out of curiosity - why can't we get the WIKI Image upload working ?? - Can't we embed Flickr photos instead ???

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Cool. I got Prime