Gbatemp Wiki Staff

Danny600kill

xD
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The truth of the matter is that the GBAtemp wiki is out of date, I know its hard to accept but its true

It might just be me but I enjoy reading up on the history of things and recently I have been interested the history of the Temp. I have read everything on the wiki but it seems to be missing a lot and most of it hasn't been updated for a long time.

I was thinking that someone could be in charge or keeping the Wiki up to date and then people may start using it again. To be truthful it would be a large job with a lot of reading and investigating and would take some time but I think it would defiantly be worth it.

I understand that there are more important things to do to maintain the site but I'd love it if you could just look into it.

Thank you for reading this guys ( and gals )

Edit:
Law just pointed out a huge flaw in my suggestion ( Thanks )

The job would be to large for one person ad he would have to much complaining if he made a mistake
It would be easier if the Wiki was opened up to user submission but information had to be approved to stop vandalism. This would decrease the time taken for the moderator to do their job and may deter people from posting useless information as it would not be used anyway

And just to mention this is not a '' request to become moderator thread '' its just a thought I had, so please don't post saying '' I will be it ''
Just to back myself up on that point

Ace Gunman said:
Just so this doesn't turn into what I think it's going to turn into: I like the idea of a Wiki staff and I've long been a fan of what the Wiki could potentially do for the site, but what I'm suggesting is only the possibility of pursuing that idea at this moment. It's far too early to start thinking about who would be involved in that, and more than likely it would be a hand-picked group.

So for all of you volunteering, we appreciate it, and we'll take it into consideration, but right now we're not at that stage in the process.
^^
The reason to this is self explanatory

Thanks

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't really need to be a staff member to do significant improvement to the Wiki. Admins on the Wiki (on the Wiki I used to go to, we called them admins, not mods or staffers) basically just delete pages, ban members, and lock pages. That's about it. All we really need is for one of the current Wiki admins (which I'm pretty sure is all forum Administrators) to delete all the old content. There's hardly many bans that are/need to be done and most pages are unlocked.

Anyway, I've been wanting to improve the Wiki for a while. If anyone read my 3,000 post blog, it was one of my future objectives. Obviously not much has happened, though. Here's a general outline of what needs to be done (c/p'd from my blog)...

- Deletion/update of outdated pages: There's a lot of old information and unneeded pages on there, the main thing being a listing of the first thousand or so DS releases (which is useless since we have gOnline to list DS releases). Update, archive, or delete pages.
- Addition of more pages: A comprehensive, universal softmodding guide, a list of how-to/what games need fixes per MAJOR carts (this means R4, Acekard, Cyclo, etc, not clones), key articles relating to GBAtemp (notable users, mod/admin pages, key contributors), articles of key members of the hacking scene, as well as articles for our sponsors.
- More templates!: The main one would be an OUTDATED template, that we can put on outdated pages. I'll go more onto why this is needed as well. Specific templates for flashcart-related pages (such as one for Acekards, R4's, Cyclos, etc) would be appreciated as well. Then there's basic stuff like candidates for deletion and other basics.
- Archiving!: Some pages are outdated but still have a historic significance, aka things like PassCards/old flashcarts, older softmod methods, older game launchers, etc. Things that are still relevant to the history of whatever we discuss here but no longer used today.
- Moving of key "stickies" to the Wiki: A lot of stickies here are information, and a Wiki is meant to store information. Not only would this clean up the amount of stickies on some cluttered forums, but it would put them in an organized manner.
- Encourage discussion!: As I mentioned before, a Wiki is a great way to have general discussions, just as much as an IRC room or a forum. While I don't expect it to be anywhere near as popular as the forum or IRC, I would at least want some discussion.
- Other things: Things I'll think of as I go.

On a side note, is the image upload service fixed/restored yet? The Wiki is in need of some new templates and with new templates comes new pictures.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
On a side note, is the image upload service fixed/restored yet? The Wiki is in need of some new templates and with new templates comes new pictures.I don't think so - I tried to upload a couple of images (basically screenshots of Moonshell & YSMenu) & although it allows me to select local file to upload - as soon as I click upload I get a message

QUOTEThe upload directory (public) is not writable by the webserver.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I always helped the Wiki when I could (I even updated the WiiSX page and created new templates yesterday, without even reading this topic).
I don't think admin power is really needed (even if I always like to have access to secret parts, as a web developer I like having access to configurations pages
tongue.gif
), I already had that privilege on Deufeufeu's wiki, but I can say it was a little hard to know if what I made was good or wrong, as I didn't know the new menus while having admin power.

When the wikiTemp first appeared I helped with few pages, proposed the current main page layout, etc.
I help when I can, when I have time, With Dice and Dirtie (he was admin If I remember well).

What said Guild is good, about the need to talk to take decisions over modification and updates.
But I don't like the idea you suggested about archiving old but useful stuff like flashme, passme, Wifi SoftAP, etc., if it's still useful (even if not accessed a lot) I like having those informations available easily, well classified, at the same place as the newer pages so we don't have to search at 2 different menu/sub-menus etc.

You can check my profile on the wiki, at the bottom I put some links to pages I helped (not a lot, yeah ;_;), and I tried to create a new category, but without the time to maintain it nobody followed and there are only 4 games in the "game's help" section. I wanted the wiki to be a place to find helps/hints/codes (a little like gamefaqs) but it failed
frown.gif

I created a "game & watch" page long ago, but it's only linked into my profile, so I'm sure nobody never read it ^^;

And Tj_Cool, you removed what I think could be useful for the users : as the Wiki has a userpage capability already included, why not using it instead of naming the page with the username. (and it could even be confusing if a user have the same name as an existing page, like a flashcard name for example)
Why using index.php?page=Cyan
if it exists index.php?page=User:Cyan (and this page provides notification when someone leave a comment to the user page... ok even if it's not common to use the wiki to talk to a user, the forum is a better place)

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Another idea: add a new main category (like Nintendo DS) for every console/handheld. A bunch of guides have been written here on the temp, so the wiki would be a neat place to store them.

outgum

Pokemanz Master
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
a Wiki is exactly that.

USER ENTRY
I agree with the fact that the wiki is outdated alot and needs to be updated, but like other people, i dont believe you need a new forum group for wiki staff.

So, sorry to all those people who would just like to have a colourful name and all but i just dont think its happening.
But in saying that, i know theres people like guild who just want to to be updated and such, to make it better, and thats appriciated

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Cyan said:
And Tj_Cool, you removed what I think could be useful for the users : as the Wiki has a userpage capability already included, why not using it instead of naming the page with the username. (and it could even be confusing if a user have the same name as an existing page, like a flashcard name for example)
Why using index.php?page=Cyan
if it exists index.php?page=User:Cyan (and this page provides notification when someone leave a comment to the user page... ok even if it's not common to use the wiki to talk to a user, the forum is a better place)
That was not my idea
I just changed them like that so it'd be the same as the others
The reason there is no User: part before the names is probably because of the "Members of GBAtemp" category (if you leave the User: part all names would go under the U)

And the only reason you get a notification for comments on your user page is because the Wiki puts that page on your watchlist by default
You can add any page to your watchlist
wink.gif

QUOTE(outgum @ Mar 5 2010, 05:36 AM) But in saying that, i know theres people like guild who just want to to be updated and such, to make it better, and thats appriciated
People that want to change stuff aren't the ones being appreciated...
It's the people that actually do change the stuff
tongue.gif

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
QUOTE said:
That was not my idea
I just changed them like that so it'd be the same as the others
The reason there is no User: part before the names is probably because of the "Members of GBAtemp" category (if you leave the User: part all names would go under the U)

And the only reason you get a notification for comments on your user page is because the Wiki puts that page on your watchlist by default
You can add any page to your watchlist
wink.gif

Oh, ok, I didn't know about the "auto watchlist"
tongue.gif

But i didn't talked about the fact you changed my webpage adress, but that you removed the comment I put at the bottom.
But I agree about the user page classified alphabetically, so it's ok (just it might be conflicting with other pages. If that happens we can always use a disambiguated redirection page)

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Cyan said:
Oh, ok, I didn't know about the "auto watchlist"
tongue.gif

But i didn't talked about the fact you changed my webpage adress, but that you removed the comment I put at the bottom.
But I agree about the user page classified alphabetically, so it's ok (just it might be conflicting with other pages. If that happens we can always use a disambiguated redirection page)
Oh yeah, I remember that. It was on one of those days that I revised all member pages (took out old info, ...)
tongue.gif

You can put it back if you want though (or do as the note says and redirect). It didn't seem relevant on a user page to me, which is for user info, not for Wiki talk stuff (I would place it on a Talk page Myself).
wink.gif

On another note: File upload seems to work now
yay.gif

Spikey

Your Special Someone
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tj_cool said:
yay.gif
I told Costello about it when I discovered I couldn't upload pictures for the Tempcast's Wiki page. He took care of it within minutes.
tongue.gif

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Spikey said:
tj_cool said:
yay.gif
I told Costello about it when I discovered I couldn't upload pictures for the Tempcast's Wiki page. He took care of it within minutes.
tongue.gif
You lucky B*****d - I asked about this back in April 2009 & got sod all response - IIRC I even PM Costello about this

EDIT: I've just tried it & AT LONG LAST my YSMenu WIKI got a picture - I can now do the AKAIO Skinning bit properly now (I Hope)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...