GBATemp Staff Meeting

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Tempest Stormwin, Jan 11, 2004.

Jan 11, 2004
  1. Tempest Stormwin
    OP

Former Staff Tempest Stormwin Kweisatz Haderach

Featured Posts:
    Canada
    The GBAtemp Staff Meeting

The GBAtemp forum has endured through many, many months, and in recent days many problems have shown up. Your forum staff noticed this, and today we met to discuss various issues around the forum.

The primary issue this time around was the effectiveness of the moderation team and related subjects.The results from the meeting are summarized below. Issues that were not addressed will come in the next meeting (as yet undetermined when, but soon).

[/p]Staff Upgrading

7 moderators have been upgraded from Moderator to Global Moderator:

[*]ronin_in_tears

[*]Mole_Incarnate

[*]X-Gamer

[*]Luse

[*]Vince989

[*]Koekie

[*]Opium
    These moderators are all active and reliable, and now their talents can be applied to all forums. Additionally, now we have global moderators covering nearly all time zones.

Staff Pruning

Several staff members have, for various reasons, been removed from the moderating team. These are:

[*] Solution 9

[*] Gunner666

[*] Gamenews6

[*] mxmai

[*] MasterOfTehRom

[*] ReyVGM

[*] Tanner
    These changes have been made to streamline forum operation and hopefully improve the effectiveness of the staff. From this starting block, we hope to improve the entire forum. The next meeting will cover issues not covered yet raised, such as 0-post users, spam, forum organization, and more.

Comments? Suggestions? Complaints? Feel your concerns were not addressed? Feel free to speak up and comment in this thread.[/p]
    Sincerely,
    --The GBAtemp Staff[/p]

2. Kyoji

Member Kyoji ウッーウッーウマ

Featured Posts:
    United States
    Gratz to those upgraded!

3. Garp

Member Garp GBATemp's Wandering Gnome

Featured Posts:
    United States
    Sounds like a good start. Those are all good people from what I've read, and they'll do a good job of "upholding the law" I think.
    Just remember that every site will go through growing pains, and this site is no exception. It's a question of the mettle of those in charge as to how well the site survives said growing pains. I'm not worried about this site at all. [​IMG]

4. KotaInka2

Member KotaInka2 Fanboy Educator

Featured Posts:
    United States
    Congratulations to the upgradees. I commend the staff for pulling together in a time of crisis and forging through tough issues to help make the community better. I hope the remaining issues can be sorted out soon. Thanks for your efforts, and I hope the community can return to its splendor and greatness.

5. Tempest Stormwin
    OP

Featured Posts:
    Canada
    I nearly forgot:

A wholehearted thank you to those who attended:
    Costello
    DJGarf
    Thug4l1f3
    ShaunJ66
    Luse (and Broken riding shotgun)
    X-Gamer
    Opium
    Angelical_1
    Vince989
    and myself.

Condolences go to Ronin, who tried, but was thwarted by a nasty firewall.

And welcome to the Order of the Green Name as well to all the new higher-ups! I hope to have the next meeting soon.

-Tempest out.-

6. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Featured Posts:
    Australia
    I'm hoping the next meeting will take place fairly soon but you never can be too sure. Hopfully we can resolve most issues concerning gbatemp shortly.

7. Garp

Featured Posts:
    United States
    I can't believe I'm using my 500th post for this, but here I go. I might be making an ass of myself, but could I make a suggestion regarding your next meeting? Maybe have a couple of representatives of the non-mods in attendance to represent the "lower" class. [​IMG] Kidding, kidding. But seriously, have a couple of people there that can accurately, intelligently, and respectfully present the concerns on the people who don't have thousands or hundreds of posts. I'm not saying that all involved are incapable of doing it without the representation, but I think it might make the undercurrent feel a little better to be represented on topics of spam and user ID deletion. Just a thought you can think about. Don't hate me for it. [​IMG]

8. ronin_in_tears

Member ronin_in_tears .:|pr0n$t4r|:.

Featured Posts:
    Sweden
    Once again, i really am sorry that i never was a part of the meeting.

Hopefully i'll solv my firewall problem.

As i really would like to join you all on IRC.

Best Regards

~ronin~

9. phuzzz

Former Staff phuzzz Hooha!

Featured Posts:
    United States
    Ahhh, it's teh green!!! TOO MUCH GREEN!!

I saw all names in green before this post went up, and at first I thought my eyes were going screwy. Congrats to all that got the upgrade. And I've noticed that you've taken off the Global Mods from the specific forums. That gets rid of a bit of confusion, I think.

10. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

Featured Posts:
    why not ...

11. Tempest Stormwin
    OP

Featured Posts:
    Canada
    Not a waste, seriously, this is a great post here as we're only as good as our members.

In the closing moments of the meeting I suggested we hold two as our next one, the first between members and staff and the second between staff alone (jury deliberation, as it were). I hope this happens next time, and I'll bring it up in planning the meeting as well. There's undoubtably more on the forum than spam and ID pruning, too, so by all means, tell us! [​IMG]

Ronin: Hope to see you there next time, dude. If worse comes to worse, I can relay for you through ICQ or MSN.

Phuzzz: Regrettably, we forgot to remove the removed moderators from that list as well, and our admins have gone to bed by now...

-Tempest out.-

12. Opium

Featured Posts:
    Australia
    That sounds like a good idea to me but would need a lot of organising to decide on who should attend out of all the members. Then organise with them the staff meeting time, as it was hard to get everyone to be able to make it due to the timezones.
    I'm not sure what the other staff would say but I wouldn't mind having some member representatives there too. I'll bring it up with the other staff.

*EDIT* Bah, Tempest beat me too it [​IMG]

13. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

Featured Posts:
    United States
    Meetings eh? Didn't know these existed. I like this post that works as minutes for those of us who never knew of such meetings.

Notes:

Upgrading:
    - Vince989, can't say I've ever seen him post to my knowledge.
    - Others, great choices for upgrades.

Pruning:
    - Were these members watching any other sections other then Contests and GBASaves, because they still show in those sections.

Other:
    - What's going on with Kivan?

I look foreward to the next meetings minutes, assuming there will be.

14. Garp

Featured Posts:
    United States
    Having a meeting with members and mods would be a good idea, but it would be very easy for that to get out of hand very quickly. It would probably be better for the mods to do a nomination thing of members that they think would be the best representatives and then approach those members privately and ask if they wish to participate. If they do or can, great. If not, move on to the next nominations. That way, you can limit the number of people involved in the chat, which would in turn guarantee a better chance for order instead of chaos. I think we all trust the mods (or we wouldn't be posting here) to be able to pick a couple responsible "shining stars" that could represent us. I'm kind of on a limb here, as I feel like I'm talking for a lot of people that I know very little about, but what can I say? I'm an American. [​IMG]

15. Opium

Featured Posts:
    Australia
    As far as we know KiVan is busy with exams, but i don't truthfully believe that's why he hasn't been here at all for such a long long time.

16. phuzzz

Former Staff phuzzz Hooha!

Featured Posts:
    United States
    He doesn't post much anymore, but he was one of our first moderators, as I believe. He might still moderate around, but just no one sees him.

17. TyrianCubed

Member TyrianCubed Gamer 1989 to present

Featured Posts:
    Italy
    First of all: I'm very happy for the results of the meeting (and for the meeting itself!), and my heart congratulations to all the new global mod, I don't know them well but from what I read on the forums they're all good choices and I'm sure that they will help a lot [​IMG]
    Then, congratulation Garp for your 500th post, I hope to catch you soon [​IMG] And I think yours is a good idea, for my humble opinion. To have a pair of "members'representant" is a good thing, I think the staff members can choose them between the more reliable non-mod members they know, whatever is their post count.

The next meeting issues are really important for everybody here, I hope our staff can find the right solutions!
    Oh, and Thanks for everything you all do for GbaTemp, it is for this that it is still a nice pace to be [​IMG]

18. Kyoji

Member Kyoji ウッーウッーウマ

Featured Posts:
    United States
    I like this whole user-mod-admin staff meeting idea, that way everyones wants and needs are noted and hopefully taken care with. I too, am an American [​IMG]

19. .Ken^

Newcomer .Ken^ The Idiot in Red

Featured Posts:
    Australia
    Congratulations to everyone that was upgraded, badluck to those who were cut.

20. burndick

Member burndick GBAtemp Regular

Featured Posts:
    Portugal
    Congratulations to all who have been upgrade. And keep tha fantistic work going.

Many thks to all.

And a ugh to Costello. (i allawys like to talk to you)

LOL
    [​IMG]