Not open for further replies.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK guys, after reading what Another World had to offer, I'm going to make it even more official. If you guys really want to make a review team happen, I'll help by leading this merry little group. Anyone interested should leave their names down, and PM me with an example of what you are capable of. Regular reviewers have a good chance, but I'll take anyone that is possibly just starting out too. I would hate to be the one who denies the new guy because of his "new" status.

I'm looking for seriously interested people. If this works, great. If not, oh well. We made the attempt. Happy reviewing!
smile.gif

GBATemp's Review Team

Project Started By: Ryukouki, Team Leader

Mission Statement: Our plan as a review team is to inform the general public here at GBAtemp about what games/objects seem interesting to write about. We seek to do so by writing comprehensive reviews about all aspects of the game, with proper English language, and the use of photos to further emphasize on our point.

When? GBATemp review members hope to write reviews approximately once or twice a week.

Where? GBATemp's Reviews and Guides Forum

-In conclusion, the GBATemp review team is a means for users to freely express their opinion about whether they like a given subject or not. The review can be about anything as long as it sticks to the GBATemp reviews template and the general theme of the site. Members who choose to join must show dedication to the team by writing as frequently as possible. Members who choose to not abide by the rules of the review team are simply removed, including Ryukouki. No one member on the team shall have greater authority over another. We are a team, and we will work as a team.

Please note: This outline is a rough sketch of the team's ideas. It can be subject to updates at any time.

________________________________________________________________________________

Vulpes' note:

Yo yo yo, hold up,
Im'ma let you finish, Im'ma let you finish
First of all, congratulations Ryukouki, you've got the first post in the Official 'Temper Review Team topic
But Another World had the most important and prolific post in EVER!
In EVER!

Another World said:
GBATemp reviews are about the "hacking" industry not the scene. We review Flash Kits, mod chips, and handhelds. Other reviews such as games, homebrew, cheats, guides, etc have never really had a place as “official GBATemp reviews.” As Head of Magazine Staff I have wanted to expand some areas of the site, and having more reviews hit the front page would be a good thing. However, I would not simply promote just anyone to write the reviews. I have a standard of excellence that I would expect all users to adhere to. I would also require a certain level of education, writing ability, etc. Anything that would be "official" to GBATemp would represent GBATemp and required to meet certain standards.

The questions I have are what would the expanded reviews cover? I simply would not allow multiple reviews of the same items (2+ R4 1:1 reviews, 2+ gamename.nds reviews, etc). I would expect each review to be unique. Each item would need to have enough content to be considered a "review". I also would not allow the reviews to go off-topic from the “theme” of the site, IE: posting official reviews of PC games, electronics, toys, pens, vacation spots, etc.

I have many more issues about this topic, issues I have been discussing with certain members of the GBATemp staff for a very long time. The best solution has been to allow users to submit their own reviews. If a review is up to the standards of an official review that review will then get moved to the appropriate section and receive a front page post.

JPH tried to get the community involved with his news wrap-up posts. He would include a review of a Homebrew or DS game in each edition. It worked out pretty well but the big problem he ran into was the lack of support. Users simply get bored of these types of projects much too quickly. He also had serious issues with quality of writing. Before release time he would rewrite certain sections, edit, or format user reviews to make them fit into the GBATemp standards. I do not have the luxury of free time needed to micro-manage an entirely new set of “staff” members.

I can see that many of you are gun-ho about an idea like this now but it takes a certain someone to keep up with it for 2-4 years of weekly or bi-monthly reviews. A full review is not an easy task and can take anywhere from 30-200 hours, depending. User would never get paid and would be working on a volunteer status only!

If some of you are VERY serious about being full time volunteer reviewers then I ask you do to the following...

1) Get together as a group. I would recommend 8+ people as multiple things could be reviewed per week.
2) Write up a formal outline complete with a mission statement. Include all pertinent information (who, what, where, why, when, and how) and then submit it to me.
3) Start an IRC channel on the GBATemp IRC network after users on onboard for such a project.

From that point I will know your thoughts and will join to discuss it further. I have no problem spending some time each month keeping you all on track, as head of magazine staff, but I would not lead such an endeavor. You would need to find your own leaders who are responsible for staying in constant and direct contact with me. In the end I would have the final say on what gets posted and what does not get posted. I will never give front page permissions out. Users would need to submit their highest quality work that is formatted by my standards and up to the quality that the leader of this project deems appropriate for GBATemp.

I’m sorry if these comments sound a bit totalitarian. I’m not trying to rule over your ideas, yet those same ideas would need to appeal to me, and I have a certain mindset on how I think something such as reviews should be done.

An alternative idea would be to get the GBATemp Recommends going again. I have wanted to do this for a while and I have a great idea on how to keep it interesting and fresh while still being GBATemp, GBA, DS, and Wii related. I would be very lax on what is allowed to be covered as long as the writing was well done and users submitted on-time, spellchecked, and properly formatted.

Users who kept up such a project for a length of time (6 months) would have a very good chance of being worked into some type of “official” review category made up of non-staff GBATemp members. After working with me for 6 months I would better know your abilities, strengths, weaknesses, personalities, attitudes, work ethics, etc.

If some of you are really, and I mean REALLY serious about writing for GBATemp, and perhaps reviving the GBATemp Recommends, get in touch with me.

-Another World

icon11.gif
GBATemp Reviews and Guides (User Submitted)
icon11.gif
GBATemp Recommends Mini-page and History

Sorry folks, I had a Kanye moment
In all seriousness, this quote needs to be part of the first post.

Topic stickied.

~VA

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
if you want to orgainze something on your own, something not run by me, i'd be happy to give you front page posts. just keep me in the loop and make sure you use the gbatemp review outline (which i still need to rewrite one of these days).

-another world

ACDCGAMER

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
This sounds like a great idea, really! Not sure how involved I would be at first, and what kinds of reviews I'd be doing other than video games or whatever happens to interest me. But yeah, I'd love to do this! Of course, you already know this, Ryu. xD

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just send me one in a pm... I'll read it when I get the time. Head hurts like crazy.
frown.gif

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been a long long day. Feel free to send it though. I'll be around and reply when I get the chance.

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Zerosuit connor said:
I would love to review games and homebrew.

I second this. Either way I still need something to review. Will you accept a review like "Random Bullshit R4 Clone Review" that I just made up (including the R4 clone)?

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmmm, for Subliminal, nice work buddy. Definitely on my list. It's good that you're meticulous about these things. Reviews can generally be about anything with video games, like AW said a while back. Just stick to the site's general theme and it's fine.
smile.gif

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GreatCrippler said:
I like this idea. I hope it works out well Ryukouki.

If you want to, join us!
smile.gif

ALSO, a note to everyone. I will be happy to take the chance to lead you guys successfully. I'll be making a team draft of our goals and whatnot in a few days, and submit to AW.
smile.gif
Thanks for the praise guys!

EDIT: Try to keep reviews with clean English language, and no foul language for any professional work. It's disdainful.
smile.gif

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Evo.lve said:
I second this. Either way I still need something to review. Will you accept a review like "Random Bullshit R4 Clone Review" that I just made up (including the R4 clone)?

With as many reviews of the R4 and it's clones as there are I just don't see a need for more right now.
Try making something that would be unique on our forum.

Personally speaking, I'm interested in writing a review of Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light.

Zerosuit connor

Baby I'm Back ♥
Trophies
XP
Country
Vulpes Abnocto said:
Evo.lve said:

With as many reviews of the R4 and it's clones as there are I just don't see a need for more right now.
Try making something that would be unique on our forum.

Personally speaking, I'm interested in writing a review of Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light.
Oh can i do that. I love that game.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dry.gif

.....that's why I was marking it as MINE!

happy.gif
If you want to write one up, go ahead,
but I'll be striving to write a better one.

ACDCGAMER

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
So I just read your updated first post /w Vulpes's message in it. As I said before, I'm not sure how dedicated I would be on the team if it were to be made, but I would definitely try to be at least somewhat active to make better use of the time that I have.
biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr