Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
essentialgames.png
GBAtemp Recommends! Konami Krazy Racers
G.R. Issue #27 (GBA)

Welcome to another edition of GBAtemp Recommends! This feature is to educate and inform our members about quality GBA titles that have either been a hit with gamers or went unnoticed to the general public. We're so certain that all of the games we feature absolutely rock, that we even offer a full money back guarantee if you're not completely satisfied! (Proof of purchase required)

GBAtemp Recommends!

Konami Krazy Racers
gt0043.png
gt0043.png

Forget Mario Kart Super Circuit, if you want some real kart racing action on the GBA, take a look at Konami's sleeper hit - Konami Krazy Karts... I mean, um ... Konami Krazy RACERS. (Boy, they dodged a bullet there).

Faster paced, awesome weapons and a great array of Konami characters (some lesser known to Western players), Konami Krazy Racers (also known as Wai Wai Racing) is in a lot of ways, a much better karting experience than Super Mario Kart Super Circuit.

Log on to the Konami Komputer on the main screen, and head into Grand Prix mode, and you'll find a swarm of characters ready for play. From Gray Fox (MGS) to Dracula from Castlevania, they all have different levels of acceleration, top speed, and turning abilities. Pick one and head out onto the track, all of which are based off of famous levels from various Konami franchises. When you hit accelerate, you'll immediately notice that the game play in KKR is a lot faster than Mario Kart Super Circuit which may take some getting used to, but all of the normal kart racer traits are here - weapons, hopping, power-sliding... Of which, the last two you'll be doing a hell of a lot of in the later levels.

The tracks, while nothing revolutionary are good fun, and can prove challenging later on in the game. The games graphics, especially the character models and menu design are all top notch. And with a fully vocalized (and awesome) theme tune, it really sets out to impress early on (remember this is the GBA we're talking about). The various music tracks from the games levels are also enjoyable and certainly catchy, and some are even remixes of new and old Konami games. The characters even blurt out various phrases (albeit in Japanese) during gameplay.

With some decent level designs, great characters, evil weapons and Konami's attention to detail on all their franchises that show up during this portable karting romp; Krazy Racers makes a very decent GBA kart racing experience, which you should definitely check out if you are tired of Super Mario Kart or are just looking for something different.

Game Synopsis said:
Race your favorite Konami characters through 16 action packed, fun-filled courses on your way to the checkered flag! 16 challenging courses showcase the power of hame Boy Advance graphics, including Cyber Field, Ice Paradise, Pop 'n Beach, Skybridge, and many more! 8 Classic Konami characters to choose from, including Ninja from Metal Gear Solid, Dracula of Castlevania fame, and Goemon the Mystical Ninja.
Japan.gif
#0009 - Wai Wai Racing (Capital)
USA.gif
#0031 - Konami Krazy Racers (Menace)
Europe.gif
#0043 - Konami Krazy Racers (Cezar)

Genre: Kart Racing
Publisher: Konami
Dump Date: 13/04/2001 (J) , 06/06/2001 (U) , 14/06/2001 (E)
ROM Size: 32Mbit

If you enjoyed this weeks edition of GBAtemp Recommends! please leave a comment in the thread. This helps us monitor feedback and ensures we keep posting these magazine articles in the future. Another game will be featured Wednesday!

gicon.jpg
View in G-Online
c171.gif
Game Profile at IGN
controller.png
Official GBAtemp Recommends! Mini-Page & History
discuss.png
Discuss

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm....looks like one of those hidden gems I've been looking for on the GBA. I'm gonna put this on my M3 right now!

EDIT: Just gave it a go. I like it. Controls better than MKSC. It's a keeper. More hidden gems please!
gbasp.gif

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd forgotten about this game. It was one of the first GBA titles ever and I never played it. I'll definitely give it a go on an emulator later. Rather play on my DS, but the GBA expansion is broken ATM. Thanks for the recommendation!
biggrin.gif

Tac 21

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
oh god.. FINALLY a game I reconze.

It came out before mario kart, and honestly, some days, I feel this game blows mario kart right out of the water.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
I bought this game when it first game out. One of my first games on the GBA. Love it. Mario Kart Super Circuit is definitely better but this game was ace back in the day.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only ever enjoyed this on the original Gameboy Advance, felt weird on SP& DS and emulation is off with the controls.

Game kinda became obsolete when Mario Kart came out but its worth a try. Amazing how many great racers were released on the GBA and yet with better hardware the DS has a handfull if that,

Spikey

Your Special Someone
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hadrian said:
I only ever enjoyed this on the original Gameboy Advance, felt weird on SP& DS and emulation is off with the controls.

Game kinda became obsolete when Mario Kart came out but its worth a try. Amazing how many great racers were released on the GBA and yet with better hardware the DS has a handfull if that,
Yeah, I remember playing this early on in the GBA's life and enjoying it. But wouldn't say it's better than Super Circuit. They are a bit different from each other, but I don't think one is better than the other.

Garcimak

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I saw this title as a lame Mario kart ripoff, and completely forgotten about it.

Looks like i missed some gem, well, no more excuse for missing. Time to play now.

hova1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
i remember when i was 13 i wanted to buy this (i just got a GBA). So i was at the store and there was GTA3 on the shelf (it was one day after it got released) so i bought GTA3 instead. I would be SO pissed if i got this instead of GTA.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: you could say it fell out.