GBAtemp Exclusive GBAtemp Recommends: Danganronpa Series

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by relauby, Oct 17, 2019.

1. anhminh

anhminh Pirate since 2010

Sep 30, 2010
    Vietnam
    It's edgy af but I like it. What I don't like though is the beta soy boy MC that chanting "hope" at the end of every game. I was hoping for a strong female lead in v3 but nope, back to the beta male again.

2. TunaKetchup

TunaKetchup GBAtemp Fan

Mar 20, 2018
    Vietnam
    Its good but doesn't hold much replay value

Best to get them on sale

Nekomaru likes this.
  3. Bimmel

Bimmel ~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~

Jan 28, 2014
    Gambia, The
    I just love Danganronpa. Play it, play it now! If you like murder mysterys, that is.

And please play 999, Virtues Last Reward and Zero Time Dilemma. Oh, and AI: The Somnium Files, too!

And Ace Attorney. And Hotel Dusk. And Ghost Trick. And.. I should stop here. Sorry. :wub:

Justinde75 and Flirkyn like this.
  4. Windaga

Windaga GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    New England
    I love Danganronpa so much, but I don't think they're very good "games." The pacing is odd, some of the game play mechanics, particularly in the third game, are kind of clunky, and the overall appearance of the game can be kind of overwhelming for new players. My best friend saw me playing through a trial in the third game and just couldn't follow along - bullets, swords, random letter bubbles in the dark - her eyes were spinning.

But hot damn do I love it. The story, the music, the characters, the writing, the general UI, the themes - it's just so good. And I loved the extras - particularly the Board game/dungeon crawler/gacha system in the third game.

Easily one of my favorite universes and VNs. Danganronpa, Zero Escape, Ace Attorney, Professor Layton got me through primaries and most of grad school haha.

Nekomaru likes this.
  5. FriendlyHacker

FriendlyHacker Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 19, 2018
    Italy
    I really like this review/recommendation, such neat writing. And I love this series, but damn, it was an emotional rollercoaster... I wouldn't recommend it to people who are particularly sensitive, overly empathic or emotionally unstable, because let's be real, it can do them harm (speaking from personal experience here). I think it shouldn't be taken too seriously, I'd say the right approach should be something similar to Monokuma's easy-going attitude, with a good dose of detachment and maybe even irony. It may sound cold, but if you're soft-hearted and let the game suck you in, you'll be hurt. REAL BAD.

relauby likes this.
  6. Flirkyn

Flirkyn GBAtemp Regular

Aug 9, 2014
    France
    Ahah remind me I have to continu AI (I put it on hold after about 10h because I was too much on Code Vein and Dragon Quest 11 S) but I agree with you! You can also add Ever17 (and a lot more VN's ahah)

Bimmel likes this.
  7. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Developer - noirscape

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Site 19
    Ah yes, Danganronpa.

A series I hold an interest in to say the least (it's not like my profile picture has been a character from the franchise for the past year or anything, no siree).

I've analyzed this franchise to death, so I obviously like it. That said, reviewing something you really really like is kinda hard, since it means it's easy to overlook flaws in it.

Luckily for me, I'm someone who loved Trigger Happy Havoc, is mild on 2, kinda liked 3 and quite disliked V3. I never played UDG but it seemed decent.

So I suppose to examine this properly, I'll pick one thing from this and I'll examine it in detail. Specifically, let's talk about theming.

Full series spoilers

So yeah, that's just one aspect of the series analyzed. I like the series quite a bit, even if it's got some serious flaws and don't think that my criticism and analysis of the theming here is all encompassing about what I think about these games. There's also the excellent characterization, the phenomenal character designs and it's amazing approach to overall style. But those are for another time. I hope that those who already played the series will enjoy this little analysis and if you didn't play the series yet, I highly recommend you do and don't you dare read the spoiler mark before you do. Otherwise I'll send you pictures of Ball Monokuma. And nobody wants pictures of Ball Monokuma.

Last edited by Ev1l0rd, Oct 17, 2019
    FriendlyHacker, Nekomaru and relauby like this.
  8. Mr.Faq2015

Mr.Faq2015 /ˈmɪstə ˈfæk/

Oct 24, 2015
    Argentina
    Rhizome 9
    I approve as well. I got through the DR series mid-last year and overall I recommend it. It has its ups and downs, but overall it's more than entertaining. My favourite will always be the first game because of how its plot develops over the course of the chapters.
    Also, dropping this: 1 -> 2 -> 0 -> UDG -> 2.5 -> 3 -> V3

Sent from my 1DS with B9S using Discord Nitro

9. Torina

Torina GBAtemp Regular

Aug 26, 2018
    France
    After so many recommandations I tried DR1 and HO BOY I hated it.
    I can understand why it is popular, but it is definitely not for me. It even put me out of the VN genra for several years.

But one day, I tried S;G and that was something else.

10. KEHT

KEHT Member

Newcomer
    Oct 6, 2010
    How about no?
    Really, anime was a big disappoint.

11. relauby
    OP

relauby Contributor

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    relauby is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 21, 2017
    Canada
    Newfoundland
    Very interesting analysis! I never liked how vague the concepts of hope and despair are in this series (like I said, it felt like good vs. evil just slightly redressed to me) but I really like your interpretation of how the first game portrays it. I've also always kinda thought Trigger Happy Havoc was the weakest, but you're making me want to go back and play it again.

Ev1l0rd likes this.
  12. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    it's finally happened. temp is now recommending weeb trash :P

13. Ev1l0rd

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Site 19
    I get why people say it, it's a much more muted game in terms of how extreme some characters from later games can get and a lot of the characters are more mature compared to the SDR2 and especially the V3 cast due to it's more reality-grounded setting. The focus with THH is really the group dynamic and how each character functions in said group (and what happens when one decides that another student is best aliven't).

SDR2 and V3 put more focus on the individual characters, but this comes at the cost of making a number of characters (pretty much all in V3, a reasonable amount in SDR2) just completely disfunctional in the group itself, having very little interactions outside of one or maybe two other characters who aren't the protagonist (see for example Nekomaru, whose character is best summed up as "Akane's best friend" in terms of the group dynamic).

relauby likes this.
  14. Enryx25

Enryx25 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 25, 2016
    Italy
    V3 is my second favorite game of all time.

V3 > DR2 > UDG = DR1 > Shit > DR3

15. relauby
    OP

relauby Contributor

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 21, 2017
    Canada
    Newfoundland
    Yeah, I generally like more low-key characters but where THH didn't focus on any one person super hard, I never got all that invested in them.
    Danganronpa 1 spoilers

Ev1l0rd likes this.
  16. FriendlyHacker

Newcomer
    Oct 19, 2018
    Italy
    I SO agree with the distinction you made between Hope&Despair in DR1 and Hope&Despair post-DR1. And "mustache twirling evil" made my day, thank you! XD

Ev1l0rd likes this.
  17. Ev1l0rd

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Site 19
    DR1

relauby likes this.
  18. FriendlyHacker

Newcomer
    Oct 19, 2018
    Italy
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Last edited by FriendlyHacker, Oct 17, 2019
    Ev1l0rd likes this.
  19. Justinde75

Justinde75 Capsule Co's VGM Addict

GBAtemp Patron
    Justinde75 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    West City
    still a part of the story even if you dont like it

20. relauby
    OP

relauby Contributor

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 21, 2017
    Canada
    Newfoundland
    That’s an interesting point, but I would put spoilers around your post. You can do it by adding a [SPOILER] to the beginning and then [/SPOILER] to the end.