GBAtemp Recommends #113: Super Mario Strikers

Welcome to the 112th issue of the GBAtemp Recommends Revival Project! This project is a revival of our once-weekly feature where we share our favorite games and applications with you. The titles we recommend may be "old school" games, a piece of Homebrew, a ROM hack, sleeper hits, an application, etc, but one thing's for certain, we think they are fantastic and deserve your attention!

Nintendo fans, especially those of Super Mario, are probably aware of the many Mario Sports titles that have released through the years. Ranging from tennis, to golf, to baseball, and even Olympic competition, Mario has seen himself trying out many different sports in all these spinoff games. For today’s feature, we’ll be taking a little trip back to the year 2005, back to when the GameCube was soon to be replaced by the Nintendo Revolution, when online gaming was in its infancy, and back when sports games in general were at their peak. Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour, Mario Power Tennis, and Mario Superstar Baseball had all been recently released, and were doing quite well in terms of sales. Then, thanks to developer Next Level Games, we were graced with one final Mario Sports game on the GameCube. Let’s get our cleats laced up and ready to go, because today we’ll be talking about Super Mario Strikers!

mariostrikers.png

From the moment you start the game, you can tell that Super Mario Strikers (Or for our European friends, Mario Smash Football) is going to be something unique. There’s a clear personality to this game that the other titles lack, which is evident even in the menus. This time, Mario and Co. find themselves competing to be the best at soccer, and it seems the residents of the Mushroom Kingdom really want that championship trophy, because everyone seems to be a bit intense this time around. This isn’t just regular soccer; this is soccer with the intensity taken up to eleven. Each of the 9 playable characters you can choose from all have a bit of an attitude, from angrily growling at their foes during the selection screen, to running onto the soccer pitch to glare their opponents right in the eye and taunt them before the match. While this kind of tone is totally surreal for a Mario game, it fits perfectly here. This game is rough. Not in terms of quality, though, I mean this in terms of pure brutality. Strikers puts us against our favorite, lovable characters, like Mario, DK, Yoshi, and even some cute Koopas and Birdos, too. And as we play, we are to body check them, slam them into electric fences and watch them be electrocuted, trip them up, and do a whole host of destructive things towards them. You’re encouraged to not follow typical rules and just go for the most effective method of taking out the enemy team.

In terms of gameplay, Strikers has a very fast paced arcadey feel to it. It’s all very simple, but with how chaotic gameplay gets, a simple gameplay style is absolutely perfect for this. All the basics for a typical soccer game are here; you can pass the ball to your teammates, dodge incoming attacks, slide in order to steal the ball, or use a vicious tackle which will utterly take down whoever’s currently in possession of the ball. And of course, you can make attempts on scoring a goal with regular shots, charge shots, or if you’re one of the main team captains, a ridiculous Super Shot, which if pulled off correctly can net you 2 goals in 1!

G4QE01-33.png

G4QE01-29.png G4QE01-11.png
As opposed to more serious soccer titles, Strikers really doesn’t have any rules. Each match is just a glorious uninterrupted mess of hilarity and fun. If you get a little too trigger-happy with your tackle takedowns, however, and start going after opponents who don’t have possession of the ball, the opposing team will be rewarded with classic Mario items, such as bomb-ombs, shells, bananas, and more. This multiplies the frenetic madness tenfold, making things even more entertaining.

The graphics are bright and colorful, and still hold up to this day. There’s nothing complex or amazing going on visually, but the game looks fine, and manages to be pleasing to look at, even when there’s dozens of things happening on-screen at once. The soundtrack isn’t very memorable, but offers some intense sounding tunes that fit in well with the early 00’s punk attitude the game clearly has.

Super Mario Strikers is perhaps one of the best sports titles out there, and is an incredible blast to play with multiple friends. With an easy-to-learn control scheme and hilarious sense of destructive fun, you should definitely check this one out the next time you set up your GameCube.

G4QE01-9.png

G4QE01-7.png G4QE01-16.png

Genre: Sports/Soccer
Release Year: 2005
Developer: Next Level Games
Published by: Nintendo
Average Playtime: 5 hours
Released for: GameCube

If you enjoyed this week's edition of GBAtemp Recommends! Please leave a comment in the thread. This helps us monitor feedback and ensures we keep posting these articles in the future! If you would like to see the original archive of our previous entries, you can look at our archived content here.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Eat your heart out EA, this is the best soccer game available. Reminds me in some ways of Megaman Soccer on SNES. Even the Strikers sequel on Wii was good, but I hope we get a new Strikers on Switch without reliance on motion controls.

Reactions: Chary

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I still play Mario Strikers Charged with my roommates every week. It's such an underrated game. They like fifa, I don't, and this is the perfect inbetween game.There's nothing more satisfying than tackling someone right before they're gonna shoot. It's basically smash meets fifa.

LittleFlame

Local Bruh.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I still play Mario Strikers Charged with my roommates every week. It's such an underrated game. They like fifa, I don't, and this is the perfect inbetween game.There's nothing more satisfying than tackling someone right before they're gonna shoot. It's basically smash meets fifa.
I personally feel like the gamecube version is just a little better because of less rules

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I personally feel like the gamecube version is just a little better because of less rules
Never played the gamecube version so I wouldn't know which I think is better. Still for me the wii game is awesome. I can get people not liking the motion control aspect but I find it fun and a nice break.

LittleFlame

Local Bruh.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Never played the gamecube version so I wouldn't know which I think is better. Still for me the wii game is awesome. I can get people not liking the motion control aspect but I find it fun and a nice break.
If you're ever down I'm sure a few members in the temp Discord (if that's still alive) would be down to play some on Dolphin, just ask :)

Reactions: Zense

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If you're ever down I'm sure a few members in the temp Discord (if that's still alive) would be down to play some on Dolphin, just ask :)
I guess it would be cool if gbatemp would do a twitch stream of the game they just recommended, to give it more attention and show how much fun it is in action. Mario Strikers is a game I was really hesistant to try until I found the excuse to play it with my friends who play fifa. Obviousy this is a multiplayer game, I don't think you could get much enjoyment from singleplayer.

Last edited by Zense,
D

Deleted User

I always appreciated the scratchy, messy nature of this game's 2D artwork. It seemed to go against the clean, polished look of almost every other Mario game.

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I guess it would be cool if gbatemp would do a twitch stream of the game they just recommended, to give it more attention and show how cool it is in action. Mario Strikers is a game I was really hesistant to try until I got friends who play fifa but enjoy other games too. Obviousy this is a multiplayer game. I don't think it's much fun alone.
I thought the same thing! I just wasn't able to pull a multiplayer stream together by the time I'd had the idea. Hopefully, I can get a stream of it going later this week.

I always appreciated the scratchy, messy nature of this game's 2D artwork. It seemed to go against the clean, polished look of almost every other Mario game.
The promotional art always made me sad that it wasn't the actual game's graphical art style, because I like it so much.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This game's really fun, though it's brutal not just in the soccer rules, but also in terms of difficulty. The AI on the highest difficulty is absurdly hard - at least without spamming super shots, we always had those disabled because we didn't like them. Personally I feel the Wii version is significantly worse though. The playfield in that one is way too small and charge shots were very overpowered. If you did Boo's charge from the correct distance, you'd go right through the keeper and get a guaranteed goal.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality