GBAtemp Recomends #84: Gradius Galaxies (By Bortzy)

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Hadrian, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Hadrian
    OP

Hadrian Better than Craigslist

Former Staff
    Oct 12, 2004
    [​IMG]

Welcome to the 84th issue of the GBAtemp Recommends Revival Project! This is a weekly feature where we share some our favourite games and the occasional "something else". Some may be well known, others I feel have been ignored but all are fantastic and deserve at least a play.

[​IMG]

Bortzy's back...and his front aint too bad either! :creep:

In 2001, Konami released the single best space shooter to grace the GBA, as well as the only Gradius that generation. If you have played a Gradius before, you know exactly what to expect when you pick up this version. Shoot the core, baby!

My usual sites for dredging up information on old games are unusually dry this time, so alot of this is coming from my own knowledge, as well as some of the small but interesting tidbits I found. According to Wikipedia, the plot of Galaxies is set between 3 and Gaiden. Bacterion (and enemy of planet Gradius, I'm guessing) has one of their powerful weapons destroyed and it crashlands on some unfortunate planet. Eventually the planet begins transform into a mecha fortress and Gradius sends the tiny ass Vic Vipor to destroy it.

Not that you would ever play a space shooter for the gripping story...

Basically the gameplay remains unchanged from any other Gradius title there is. In this case, that is a good thing. You choose your ship loadout which is either "balanced", "wide", "power", or "air to ground". All slightly different from each other, but any will do really. You cruise though deep space collecting power ups and using them on the bar at the bottom of the screen. Any veteran of the series knows that "Speedup, missile, double, lazer, [/SIZE][SIZE=3]option[/SIZE][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][SIZE=3] , sheild" bar. For those of you that dont know, you collect powerups from mostly red enemies or killing whole chains of enemies and then stacking them to unlock abilities for your ship.

Powerups and the legendary Konami code

Warning: Spoilers inside!

The stages are beautiful, and the bosses are creative. The legacy mechanics of powering up your ship and shooting cores [/SIZE][SIZE=3] are alive and well in this stellar shooter. The difficulty ramps up every time you complete a loop, and the amount of tight navigation in this game will make you want to rip your hair out (unless of course you are Mthrmite, in which case, you have none).

If you can find it, the Japanese version has some extras that weren't included in the US and EU releases seeings as the JP version actually came out AFTER the other two. I'm not entirely sure what the extras are, as I have never played the JP version. But since there is little to no reading required, I don't see why not.

Platform GBA
    Released 2001/2002
    Developer Mobile 21
    Publisher Konami
    Genre Space Shooter

:bortz: :bortz: :bortz:

Want to write us something? PM myself and I'll put it up! Please don't worry about images or videos as I can sort that out.

2. Mythrix

Mythrix GBAtemp Regular

Mar 23, 2006
    I remember Gradius as being the game (series) where I could *sometimes* got to second stage. If I was lucky.

Though I didn't have so many games when I was young, mostly I played games at friends' places. So I didn't really play many of the games enough times to get good at them back in the NES era...

3. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    This sounds awesome! I love the GameBoy and this just sounds... awesome. I have a feeling that shooters on the GameBoy would be infinitely better than on the Wii/PS3... well...

4. Nah3DS

Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Feb 9, 2010
    Argentina
    Never played this one, I'm gonna add it to my "pending games" list. I love SHMUPS.
    What's next Bortz? Thunder Force? :creep:

5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Fuck yes, a Gradius game I've never played. I've got to try this.

6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Meraman (tetris grand masters, NDS_BGMFILER, ds picrosss and more) was supposedly working on a DS homebrew version of this. Some screens and words (Japanese) http://meraman.dip.jp/wordpress/?cat=3

As for this I think best shmup might be a stretch but it is certainly right up there.

7. Arm73

Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Mar 4, 2006
    Italy
    Switzerland
    I loved this series so much and I played every Gradius / Nemesis game known to man, and although this GBA entry is respectable and looks fantastic, there is something that I consider a terrible flaw in it, and prevents me from fully enjoy the game.
    Namely the speed up power up.
    Standard speed is useless ( as in most games of this series ), one power up and you move slightly faster....but not quite there, and the second power up makes you so frigging fast that you kill yourself bumping into the walls the whole time.
    Really, if they had balanced the speed a little more taking into account the size of the screen and all, this game would have been perfect, but as it is, is just unnecessary frustrating.
    Maybe in this day and age somebody could find a code to customize the speed of the vessel ?
    Other then that, fantastic game.

8. rs1n

rs1n Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 26, 2013
    United States
    I started with Life Force for the NES. Now THAT was an awesome game. The music was awesome, and the gameplay was even better. The latter releases (Gradius, Nemesis, etc.) were "OK" compared to Life Force. Don't get me wrong -- they were good games, just not the same as Life Force.

Thomas83Lin likes this.
  9. Arm73

Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Mar 4, 2006
    Italy
    Switzerland
    Life force ( or Salamander ) came actually after Gradius, which is the western name for Nemesis.
    So maybe you played them in a different order, but release wise :
    And taken from a random wiki:

rs1n likes this.
  10. qwertyuiopasdfghjkl
    This message by qwertyuiopasdfghjkl has been removed from public view by Costello, Sep 26, 2013.
    Sep 26, 2013