GBATemp Quiz?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by GiRPwN, Jul 30, 2008.

Jul 30, 2008

GBATemp Quiz? by GiRPwN at 2:28 PM (2,090 Views / 0 Likes) 22 replies

1. GiRPwN
    OP

Newcomer GiRPwN Member

United States
    I have a problem with the Quiz Result answers...

6. What company developed the eReader card scanning technology?
    • Nintendo
    • Fujitsu
    • Samsung
    • Olympus Optical
    Your answer: Nintendo
    The correct answer was: Olympus Optical

This was actually made by Nintendo, SOURCE : e-Reader Wiki

The e-Reader (???e????, K?do ? R?d??, Card e-Reader) is a device made by Nintendo for its Game Boy Advance portable video game system. It has an LED scanner that reads "e-Reader Cards," paper cards with specially encoded data printed on them.

14. How many copies did a game have to sell before making it into Nintendo's "Player's Choice" program?
    Your answer: 250,000
    The correct answer was: 1,000,000

The corrrect answer is actually 250,000, SOURCE : Player's Choice Wiki

In the United States and Europe, Nintendo introduced the label in 1996 for both the Super Nintendo Entertainment System and the Game Boy, and later applied it to the Nintendo 64 and Game Boy Advance, to distinguish titles that have sold over one million copies. The label is also applied to Nintendo GameCube games that sold more than 250,000 copies.[1] A Player's Choice program has not been implemented for the Wii or Nintendo DS, despite the existence of multiple million-selling games.

PLEASE, if anyone can show me otherwise, I'd be grateful. I just think its unfair for those who actually were supposed to get these right, did not get a chance to win them.

2. bobrules

Member bobrules GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    In the United States and Europe, Nintendo introduced the label in 1996 for both the Super Nintendo Entertainment System and the Game Boy, and later applied it to the Nintendo 64 and Game Boy Advance, to distinguish titles that have sold over one million copies

3. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Bear in mind the quiz was all about the GBA.

4. wilddenim

Member wilddenim Candy!

United Kingdom
    This is a GBA quiz - so for a GBA game to be Player's Choice - it need to have 1 million games to be sold.

"In the United States and Europe, Nintendo introduced the label in 1996 for both the Super Nintendo Entertainment System and the Game Boy, and later applied it to the Nintendo 64 and Game Boy Advance, to distinguish titles that have sold over one million copies."

So it's correct question and correct answer.

Remember, this is GBA only quiz and it have been repeated throughly the quiz.

5. bobrules

Member bobrules GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
  6. WildWon

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    I am saddened because i got the same answers as the OP. I can understand why we got them wrong, but still... if it was multiple people getting the answers wrong, then there's a problem with the wording of the questions.

Well... Ok, the Players Choice one i can fully understand, because he number was changed for GC, while the quiz was about GBA... so thats fair. I suppose a lot of people could miss that one.

The E-reader question though...

Yea, its cool. Its all about reading the question correctly.

I just figured that because other questions were thrown out (5 this time?!) that those shouldn't count either.

Meh, maybe its just a bit of bitterness [​IMG]

Congrats to those that won though [​IMG]

7. GiRPwN
    OP

Newcomer GiRPwN Member

United States
    Ah... but it should specify what console, we're talking about next time. and I got all the omitted questions right [​IMG]

8. RoboClover

Newcomer RoboClover Advanced Member

United States
    the way i look at it, so many people got the questions correct that it doesnt matter about what they took out or not, it kinda just came down to random selection.

9. wilddenim

Member wilddenim Candy!

United Kingdom
    It DID! It is GBA quiz. Omg! That's a console!

FFS!

10. Mewgia

Member Mewgia drifter

United States
    Same (except for the question where they failed to put the correct answer as a choice). The only one I got wrong on the quiz was the eReader question, because I answered "Nintendo" just like a lot of people seem to have. It was a more unclear and confusing question than most of the omitted questions, really.

11. pkprostudio

Member pkprostudio No

United States
    Same here. In fact, the question about the device Wario got shouldn't be omitted at all. [​IMG] I think it's perfectly fine.

12. TheWingless

Member TheWingless Wafuu~

United States
    I love how "some" people are complaining about the eReader one and mostly the Player's choice questions. The E-Reader one had very good hints(even a censored out picture) in the first topic where the quiz was first opened. Player's choice should have been assumed GBA as it was a GBA related quiz. But then again, most people notice numbers and not words so people probably missed the "a million."

You can complain, but I don't think they will redo/redraw just because you think it's "unfair." PLEASE(I can't stop you!) do not spam the boards that you didn't get one/two little question(s) right for a freaking flashcart.

13. jaz

Newcomer jaz Advanced Member

Australia
    "How many copies did a game have to sell before making it into Nintendo's "Player's Choice" program?"

This question doesn't have to apply to GBA, a game DID have to sell 1,000,000 copies to get player's choice, and it was changed to 250,000 for the Gamecube. Don't you just love these trick questions?

14. wilddenim

Member wilddenim Candy!

United Kingdom
    Remember this was a GBA only quiz. People, accept this was a GBA quiz, so it was nothing tricky and move on.

15. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    The question itself didn't specify a console, it just said "a game." Of course, the people who got it wrong didn't realize the quiz was entirely GBA based and that's partly their fault, but it's still not fair that this wasn't omitted.
    I think too many people got this one wrong, so they had to leave it in to keep the number of people who got perfect scores low. It was certainly a lot trickier than any of the omitted questions. If the question had stated, "How many copies did a GBA game have to sell...", no one would have missed this one.
    The only question that was rightfully omitted was the Golden Sun 2 question, because it did not specify whether the Japanese release counted.

Okay, no more ranting from me. [​IMG]

16. boblen

Newcomer boblen Advanced Member

Australia
    I Too got those exact same Questions Wrong,
    The Players choice was a TRICK question [​IMG]

Anyway better luck next time...

17. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    The quiz should be hard. If it was easy, even the people that got all the questions right would have a poor chance of getting a prize.

Here's my take: all the details needed to figure out the Player's Choice question were available to everyone that entered the quiz. No one was at a disadvantage unless they assumed instead of thinking.

18. Lily

Former Staff Lily One Scary Lady

Canada
    The player's choice question was NOT a trick question! A title must sell 1,000,000 copies to be considered Player's Choice, and the only exception was the GameCube (I wonder why. [​IMG]). If you didn't know the answer, and were looking it up, anyone that got the question wrong is at fault for not reading the answer properly. People seem to have gone to Wikipedia (as stupid as that is to do, it's Wikipedia folks) and even on the Wikipedia page it clearly distinguished that only GameCube games needed 250,000. We clearly distinguished our quiz as a GBA quiz - I didn't think we had to re-iterate 'GBA' in every single question to hammer the point home.

The e-Reader question was also fair: "What company developed the eReader card scanning technology?" From the question alone, you should have guessed that the answer was not Nintendo. Yes Nintendo produced the e-Reader, no, they didn't develop the technology used to scan the cards. If anything, that's a trick question - but only if you're not reading it properly.

If you're running through a quiz too fast and not properly reading the questions, don't blame us if you answered it wrong and think that it isn't fair. This wasn't a contest for who could get their answers in fast enough! Please don't blame us because you either a) didn't read the question properly or b) didn't read the answer properly while you were researching. Oh, and c) stay away from Wikipedia, all the answers were found outside of Wikipedia specifically! I don't care what anyone says, it's simple not a reliable source, especially when you're trying to get information for something that matters.

---

All that being said, the next time a quiz is done, I'm sure there will be much more quality assurance behind the scenes. Remember, you can make some of the people happy all of the time, all of the people happy some of the time, but you can never make all of the people happy all of the time.

19. Gman 101

Member Gman 101 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    I got a question about the WarioWare one... since when was it called a Gravitator? When I saw the question, I actually pulled out my GBA and started playing the game. I watched the intro over and over and saw no mention of Gravitator...

20. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    This is definitely true about Wikipedia not being a reliable source, but I used it for all the questions I didn't already know the answer to and I got every question right (except the one that didn't have the correct answer as an option, but I picked the closest one). The trick to avoiding quiz related wiki vandalism is to look at the page history and use a version from before the quiz was opened.