Dead and alive
OP
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Couldn't think of a better forum to put this in so here it is.

What does this do?
Whenever you get a new private message, or a new reply in an existing private message, it will send you an SMS. You won't need to worry about missing out on anything important when you're either busy or not looking at the internet. Don't use it if either (a) your telco charges you money to receive text messages, or (b) you are on a very limited data plan on the internet that your PC uses (it refreshes the conversations page about every ten seconds). It should work on all operating systems but I only tested it on Windows.

Code is here: https://github.com/quantumcat1/Temp-Notifier

How do I use it?
First of all, you need to sign up to a clickatell account. This is what lets you send free text messages to yourself. The reason it is free, is they charge you to send text messages to other people, but you can send free "test" messages to up to three pre-defined phone numbers (which will be you!).
  1. Go to clickatell.com
  2. Click Register in the top right
  3. Fill in the details - make sure to select the correct country, and just put in your mobile phone number like you normally would.
  4. Confirm your email address by clicking the link in the email they send you
  5. Login
  6. Click "Get started" under "Create an SMS integration to use in your own application"
  7. Click "Add test phones". Make sure to get the country correct and put in the number in international format (e.g. drop the leading zero). Probably will still work if you put it in normally, but that's what I did.
  8. Click "Add phone"
  9. Put in the code that gets sent to your phone
  10. Click "Finish"
  11. Scroll down and click "My first test integration"
  12. Click details, and copy the API key and save this somewhere
Download the jar and user.txt from https://github.com/quantumcat1/Temp-Notifier/releases.

You'll need Java installed to run it. To test if you have it, open a command window (type cmd into the Windows Start box and press Enter), and type "java -version" then Enter. If it says you have Java 1.8 or higher that's fine. If not, visit https://www.java.com/en/download/help/download_options.xml

Now, open user.txt and replace the information. Add your username, password, api key from Clickatell and your mobile phone number in international format with no spaces. Leave the pipe characters ("|"). Don't add spaces.

Open a command window and cd to where you put the jar and the text file. Type "java -jar TempNotifier.jar". To quit it, closing the command window should be enough, but just to make sure, go into Task Manager and look for any Java apps running (they'll have the coffee cup icon and be called something like Java(TM) executable), and close them.

If you get any problems and you can't work them out please comment here. Also please comment if there's anything you'd like me to add and I'll put it in the to-do list.

To-do list
  • Add error messages in English if something goes wrong
  • Do the same thing for Alerts
  • Don't send a text message if it is the user who replied
  • Add ability to send private messages via Discord rather than text messages
  • Add a spring boot version & instructions for hosting it so you don't have to have your computer on & using data
If people are interested I can make this a webapp instead, so you don't have to run it on your computer. But I assume people will be wary about inputting their passwords into a website, so I didn't do this yet.

Last edited by Quantumcat,

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
erm this looks pretty weird, is it like that for a reason?
upload_2018-10-3_14-30-2.png

Am I missing something here?

matpower

Messenger from Zero
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
(b) you are on a very limited data plan on the internet that your PC uses (it refreshes the conversations page about every ten seconds).
That's seems like a horrible idea on long term.

You're also writing the password in plaintext, you should be more careful with that.

And last, but not least, why write this? We have push notifications on mobile browsers and email notifications. I think RSS feeds still work too, but not sure if it applies to private messages.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And last, but not least, why write this? We have push notifications on mobile browsers and email notifications. I think RSS feeds still work too, but not sure if it applies to private messages.
In my experience, the mobile push notifications don't notify for everything, and they turn themselves off after a while, and they don't seem to work at all on Windows 10. Anyway, this is just an option for people who want it.

Reactions: BORTZ

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
OP
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
You're also writing the password in plaintext, you should be more careful with that.
Only an issue if you share your computer with others who use the Temp, and they also know where to look.

My specific use case is having my desk at work be in a location that has terrible internet reception, but perfectly good phone reception. I can get alerted when there is something to look at and go to the break room to see, and not be looking at my phone at any other time.

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Just to make sure I'm trying this the correct way, the username and password are GBATemp's right?

Edit: Just tested it up, yes, it's GBATemp's.

No way to test it right now, but the JAR seems to be running alright. I guess I'll wait for any random PM.

Last edited by Olmectron,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://gbatemp.net/profile-posts/163064/