GBAtemp ponders E3 2013 -- Sony.

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
A few friends are complaining about the paywall. Me? I don't think it's a issue at all. Servers cost money and it's not a one time fee.
and 5$ is one less trip to the fast food restaurant :P

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Sony wins. They did great. Wow. The games, the exclusives, the hardware, the insanely attractive price point, emphasizing the whole "used games we will not require you to be online" shit, the fact that they seem to be staying really true to gamers, etc. I even like the design of the PS4 more than the X1 and WiiU ATM, mostly because the PS2 is my favorite console. They seem set to smash the competition (Microsoft) during the console wars. Really, really fantastic. And, if Nintendo doesn't do anything mind blowing, Sony's won it. There were virtually no missteps there regarding their console.

Too late to tell, but I gather the poll will end up being wrong.

Reactions: VMM

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The only way you can realistically save any money on importing electrical goods from America is if you know someone who is travelling there and they are great at not looking shifty as they come back through customs. Otherwise, when you add on Duty, taxes etc, it's just more hassle than it's worth.

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
Just watched the conference and all I can say is WOW! Best E3 in years and Sony stomped MS so hard it made me cheer IRL!
I thought they would have to have some restrictions as I couldn't see publishers locking down a game on one system and not the other. Even if MS back peddle and scrap the used game nonsense it is too late, the damage is done. MS have shown they don't care about the gamer and just want to milk as much cash as possible. If the console was amazing gamers may have overlooked the restrictions, but it isn't and now they will pay the price!
Bit disappointed at the lack of anything for Vita, hopefully those games will come on the show floor in the next 2 days.
Also PS3 games on Vita via Gakai is pretty sweet!
And DAT FFXV trailer!!!

Shadowlurker

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Still not happy about the Multiplayer restriction to PS+ Only.. I'm not saying PS+ isn't worth it because it is, but they are doing something Microsoft did and will get away with it... Do servers and such cost money? Sure they do.. but they got by with the PS3, and the PC has been getting by steadily for YEARS, it's like paying for internet twice.. They advertise MMOs such as Planetside 2 and a upgraded DCUO, but they won't be free anymore you will still have to pay for the PS+ and it will be the same with Elder Scrolls Online and FFXIV PS4 version.. But with them you will have to pay a subscription on TOP... They are not painting a pretty picture for MMOs on consoles.. just when FFXIV looked so promising for consoles.. I'll just have to play it on my PS3 and when I get a better PC upgrade to that..

TLDR: they are doing something for money and will get away with it and it's a slap to the face to many..

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The fact that they had to take about 15 mins - 30 mins to say "We're not the Xbox One guys!" is absolutely sad in terms of quality of the presentation.

Thoroughly disappointed. They start with the Vita, say they'll "support it" then just list some already announced games. Their biggest thing for the system was a The Walking Dead bundle. I love TWD but handheld is not a great fit for it. Otherwise they just listed some already announced games (not a lot of which looked good). Then they quickly swept it under the carpet and moved it. Top notch there folks.

I guess the biggest announcements are FFXV and Kingdom Hearts III. Both games I give zero shits about. Yay.

inFamous Second Son still looks good but it's not even a launch title.

The one thing I HATE about E3 conferences is there's always one game they ride mercilessly. This year it was Watch_Dogs. Three conferences had it. I like Watch_Dogs but I don't want THREE showings of it.

Destiny looked absolutely fantastic but it's of course multiplat so I can always get it elsewhere if needs be.

Hopefully they'll redeem themselves a bit more with some good announcements following E3 but so much worse of a conference compared to last year.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
All hail the new King.

XItnjl9.gif

Reactions: Phoenix Goddess

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Amazon's transparent Xbone bias is frustratingly vomit inducing....they must be getting kickbacks somewhere along the line given the promotion differences.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think the arrival of a proper paid subscription and stuff for multiplayer whilst a step in the wrong direction, was pretty much expected. People are right in saying that Sony have gotten by on the PS3 without having to do that. But thats exactly what it has been with regards to multiplayer. Getting by. We all know the service with regards mulitplayer is a much better, smoother, faster experience on the 360, but in reality, thats ALL the xbox live service has had over PSN in the past couple of years.

You'd think that this subscription should balance that out more next gen. And when youve still got Instant Game Collection as well, this stuff is paying for itself really. If you only get one game per month and you only like 3 titles in 12 months, thats more or less covered your outlay.

If PSN has gotten by for half a decade without so much as a penny in subs, then in reality, it can only get better now they will have that extra revenue coming in.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do have to say on the PS+ thing, at least it's not required for media (unlike the Xbox) so you can still Netflix and whatnot without a subscription. Really useful if you find your gaming usage is dwindling down but your media usage does not.

And while yes it's definitely a bad thing to require subscription for online, PS+ is already a great service and I think people should use it regardless. You'll be getting free games across 3 platforms and you already get pretty good sales as well.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You know the PS3 actually won last generation right? Well I mean between the ps3 and the 360. The wii actually sold the most.

I know it got to be a very close call at the end but do we have something resembling hard numbers?

The exact same hardware continues to stay the same price. If they switch it out for an alternative (or cut out a huge chunk like they did with the PS3), then it is less expensive.

Component suppliers will drop their prices (and given I doubt MS set up their own fabs for their custom work the rest of this applies to that too), your production lines will hopefully have been set up and now paid for (you do not want to have your production line paid off over the course of the lifetime if you can do it sooner), your yields will hopefully increase (recycling is hard and failed products are losses you need to account for), your production will hopefully increase leading to better bulk discounts. All of this will see the "same hardware" effectively or actually cost less to make.

The one thing I HATE about E3 conferences is there's always one game they ride mercilessly. This year it was Watch_Dogs. Three conferences had it. I like Watch_Dogs but I don't want THREE showings of it.

Sony's was pretty much the only one with a real amount of gameplay though.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
I'll watch the conference just now, but as far as I read PS4 costs 100 (insert coin here) less than xbone right? It has more raw power too, so why would someone buy Xbone? I'm changing to sony (maybe)

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
And while yes it's definitely a bad thing to require subscription for online, PS+ is already a great service and I think people should use it regardless. You'll be getting free games across 3 platforms and you already get pretty good sales as well.

The main argument you are basing this off of is that Sony's current online system sucks, which is valid. But now that they are forcing you to buy PS+ to play online ($5 a month I believe, same as Xbox Gold without any bundles) they can use that money to (hopefully) upgrade the experience on those server to rival Microsoft's. Servers aren't cheap to run, and right now Sony's live system is like every other subscription based system: the subscribers are paying for everything while the rest freeload. Now that online is a premium service, we should (hopefully) get premium quality.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The main argument you are basing this off of is that Sony's current online system sucks, which is valid. But now that they are forcing you to buy PS+ to play online ($5 a month I believe, same as Xbox Gold without any bundles) they can use that money to (hopefully) upgrade the experience on those server to rival Microsoft's. Servers aren't cheap to run, and right now Sony's live system is like every other subscription based system: the subscribers are paying for everything while the rest freeload. Now that online is a premium service, we should (hopefully) get premium quality.

Really, I would have thought the main argument would have been *points at PC*.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
I do have to say on the PS+ thing, at least it's not required for media (unlike the Xbox) so you can still Netflix and whatnot without a subscription. Really useful if you find your gaming usage is dwindling down but your media usage does not.

I tried to watch YouTube on my Xbox yesterday because I couldn't be arsed plugging my laptop into the TV. I couldn't. I couldn't use a free service because I happen to be using an Xbox to do it. I would have utilised none of the XBL server time at all to watch my videos but MS says I can't do it unless I pay. Fuck you Microsoft.

At least Sony won't charge for that but I use online gaming so sparingly on the current gen that a subscription would be wasted to me. So now I can't use it the few times I do (an online match with friends is still fun, ok?) because of the same paywall I constantly whine at Microsoft for. Hopefully PS+ will continue as it exists currently so there is more incentive than just Online Play to get out of it (making it still tons better value than Live). It's still looking like the PS4 will win this generation but they were one step off a complete sweep for me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended