Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
2pt47zq.jpg

The tournament has begun, see this
post for details.

Hi and welcome to first (and hopefully not last) Pokemon tournament I'll be hosting. These tournaments are not about being extremely competitive at all, they are in fact all about having fun with fellow tempers
biggrin.gif

I.Anything I need to know?
1. You (of course) need a copy of Diamond/Pearl and access to wifi.
2. The following Pokemon are considered uber and will not be allowed:
QUOTE said:
Arceus, Darkrai, Deoxys (all forms), Dialga, Garchomp (debatable), Giratina, Groudon, Ho-oh, Kyogre, Latias, Latios, Lugia, Manaphy, Mew, Mewtwo, Palkia, Rayquaza, Wobbuffet
3. Any moves that increase evasion (eg. Double Team) will not be allowed, as they drag battles and increase reliance on luck. One-hit KO moves (eg. Sheer Cold, Fissure) will not be allowed for similar reasons.
4. I'm debating whether moves gained in platinum can be used in this tournament as Platinum hasn't been released in english yet, which may be a problem. Suggestions on this are welcome.
5. Pokesav will be allowed, however Pokemon created or altered with Pokesav should still be legal (ie. No >510 EVs, >32 IVs etc). Pokemon should also only have moves that they can learn in some way or another. To find out which moves a Pokemon can learn go here and choose the Pokemon's name from the list.
6. Cheats will NOT be allowed and any cheating will result in a disqualification and a ban from future tournaments. Please try to keep these tournaments fun.
7. Please make sure that you will be comfortable trading your team to me for legality checking should any queries arise around the legality of your pokemon (They will of course be traded back). I know this is a lot to ask, but it's the only way we can ensure a clean tournament (This is why I allowed Pokesav, so that the pokemon you use can be recreated easily should anything happen).

II.Where can I get help on battling/team building?
1. Smogon – Extremely competitive, though that's not exactly what we're going for in this tournament.
2. Competetive Battling Guide - A guide that will help teach you the basics, the movesets are quite outdated however.
3. Serebii - An excellent site for the hard facts, the opinions are something else though...
4. PM me, I'll be more than happy to help you.

III.Awesome, when is it and how do I sign up?
1. The tourney will be on Wed 14th January 2009 at 21:00 GMT+2. This time is debatable, however I want to keep it quite early as the tournament may last long depending on the amount of participants. Here is a countdown to the tournament.

2. You can sign up in this thread, just post to say you're in.

IV.I can't/don't know how to use Pokesav, can anyone help?
1. I'll be willing to help out people who can't or don't know how to use Pokesav.

V.Prizes?
1. Unfortunately since I am a student (which means I'm always broke) I will not be able to offer any monetary or material prizes. You will however get bragging rights, which is awesome
biggrin.gif

Good luck to all who participate and I hope you all have fun thinking up and raising you teams
smile.gif
. Also my apologies if any of this seems screwed up, I prepared it in a word processor before posting, so formatting may be an issue.

Mukubird

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Count me in for this tourney.

EDIT: Of course, it will be hard for me to get in that time zone since it will be 12:00 PM for me here and I'm at school until 3:00 PM. How long will the tourney be? =/

micky93

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey,

I'd love to join, but i have a lot of work to do with my team.
I'll get back to you, but at this point, count me in.

Thanks,
Micky

Zamo

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Guys, unfortunately it seems that there is not enough interest in these tournaments. Sorry to whoever was looking forward to participating, we can however play a few single matches if you guys want. Maybe once platinum rolls around interest will pick up again.

IzzehO

Trophies
XP
Country
Sounds like a brilliant idea, although I long since gave up on keeping track of my pokemon saves. I think it'd be great and many would be interested with the introduction of platinum, I'll definately give that a go and enter in this. My main issue is that anything like this would become extremely competitive, also (and I never actually played latest pokemon online or anything) but shouldn't there be restrictions on high end potions or something?

Zamo

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
In any pokemon vs. match, items are not allowed so that's not really a problem. I don't think the tournaments will be all that competitive as it takes a while and lots of effort to get into competitive pokemon battling, and I don't think most tempers would bother.

CPhantom

The Noob :(
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This seems fun, but the rules are silly. Your tier for banned pokemon is WAY off. In fact, some legendaries are actually allowed in tourneys.

Plus rule 3, why ban moves? I don't use any of them listed, but they shouldn't be banned. Moves are kind of supposed to be able to do what they do. Maybe this is a bit more understandable than the tier though, since the tier is messed up.

Best tier list I've EVER seen.
Code:
[b]Ubers[/b]
Arceus
Darkrai
Deoxys (All forms)
Dialga
Giratina
Groudon
Ho-oh
Kyogre
Latias
Latios
Lugia
Mew
Mewtwo
Palkia
Rayquaza
Wobbuffet 

[b]overused[/b]
Aerodactyl
Alakazam
Azelf
Blissey
Bronzong
Celebi
Cresselia
Dragonite
Dugtrio
Dusknoir
Electivire
Garchomp
Gengar
Gliscor
Gyarados
Heatran
Heracross
Infernape
Jirachi
Jolteon
Lucario
Manaphy
Medicham
Metagross
Porygon-Z
Raikou
Regice
Rhyperior
Salamence
Shuckle
Skarmory
Slaking
Snorlax
Starmie
Suicune
Swampert
Tangrowth
Tauros
Togekiss
Tyranitar
Weavile
Yanmega

[b]Boardline[/b]
Ambipom
Arcanine
Armaldo
Articuno
Blastoise
Blaziken
Breloom
Charizard
Claydol
Cradily
Crobat
Dodrio
Donphan
Drapion
Empoleon
Entei
Espeon
Exeggutor
Feraligatr
Floatzel
Flygon
Forretress
Gallade
Gardevoir
Honchkrow
Houndoom
Jumpluff
Jynx
Kingdra
Lapras
Leafeon
Lickilicky
Lopunny
Ludicolo
Machamp
Magmortar
Magnezone
Mamoswine
Marowak
Mesprit
Milotic
Miltank
Mismagius
Moltres
Muk
Ninetales
Ninjask
Omastar
Porygon2
Probopass
Rampardos
Regigigas
Regirock
Registeel
Roserade
Sceptile
Scizor
Shaymin
Slowbro
Smeargle
Spiritomb
Staraptor
Steelix
Swellow
Tentacruel
Torterra
Toxicroak
Typhlosion
Umbreon
Uxie
Vaporeon
Weezing
Zapdos

[b]Under used[/b]
Abomasnow
Absol
Aggron
Altaria
Ampharos
Ariados
Azumarill
Banette
Bastiodon
Bellossom
Cacturne
Camerupt
Carnivine
Clefable
Cloyster
Corsola
Crawdaunt
Dewgong
Drifblim
Dunsparce
Electrode
Exploud
Fearow
Flareon
Froslass
Gastrodon
Girafarig
Glaceon
Glalie
Golduck
Golem
Gorebyss
Granbull
Grumpig
Hariyama
Hippowdon
Hitmonchan
Hitmonlee
Hitmontop
Huntail
Hypno
Kabutops
Kangaskhan
Kecleon
Kingler
Lanturn
Linoone
Luxray
Magcargo
Manectric
Mantine
Meganium
Mr. Mime
Nidoking
Nidoqueen
Noctowl
Octillery
Phione
Pikachu
Pinsir
Poliwrath
Politoed
Primeape
Purugly
Quagsire
Qwilfish
Raichu
Rapidash
Relicanth
Sableye
Sandslash
Scyther
Seviper
Sharsmurf
Shiftry
Skuntank
Slowking
Stantler
Sudowoodo
Swalot
Torkoal
Tropius
Ursaring
Venomoth
Venusaur
Vespiquen
Victreebel
Vileplume
Wailord
Walrein
Whiscash
Xatu
Zangoose

[b]Never Used[/b]
Arbok
Beautifly
Beedrill
Bibarel
Butterfree
Castform
Chatot
Cherrim
Chimecho
Delcatty
Delibird
Ditto
Dustox
Farfetch'd
Furret
Illumise
Kricketune
Ledian
Lumineon
Lunatone
Luvdisc
Masquerain
Mawile
Minun
Mightyena
Mothim
Pachirisu
Parasect
Persian
Pidgeot
Plusle
Raticate
Rotom
Seaking
Shedinja
Solrock
Spinda
Sunflora
Unown
Volbeat
Wigglytuff
Wormadam

Mukubird

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
CPhantom said:
This seems fun, but the rules are silly. Your tier for banned pokemon is WAY off. In fact, some legendaries are actually allowed in tourneys.
That's Smogon's current banlist. Besides, the Pokemon listed are already banned from Nintendo tourneys, with the exception of Wobbuffet. In addition, Nintendo also bans Jirachi, Celebi, and Shaymin despite their non-Uber status.

QUOTE said:
Best tier list I've EVER seen.
Code:
[b]Ubers[/b]
Arceus
Darkrai
Deoxys (All forms)
Dialga
Giratina
Groudon
Ho-oh
Kyogre
Latias
Latios
Lugia
Mew
Mewtwo
Palkia
Rayquaza
Wobbuffet
Funny, it looks JUST like Smogon's list pre-Manaphy ban.

QUOTE said:
Plus rule 3, why ban moves? I don't use any of them listed, but they shouldn't be banned. Moves are kind of supposed to be able to do what they do. Maybe this is a bit more understandable than the tier though, since the tier is messed up.
Evasion and OHKO clauses try to eliminate some of the luck in the battle. If Evasion moves weren't banned, Double Team would be whored out by walls with insane tanking capabilities and recovery moves. As for OHKO clause, imagine how you would feel is some dude's Nidoking landed 3 consecutive Horn Drills on your walls. These types of moves would take away some of the strategy in pogeymanz because you could just "lol toxic lol dt lol recover" or "lol scope lens lol sheer cold".

QUOTE(War @ Jan 15 2009, 05:43 PM)
Lol, why is Garchomp b&. That's redonkulous.
I'm guessing you've never ran into a Sandstorm team with a Bright Powder SubVeil Garchomp, or a YacheChomp, or any Garchomp in the hands of a skilled player.

Zamo

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
CPhantom said:

*snip*

That list is quite outdated, Zapdos in BL and Tauros in OU? lol. The reason I proposed a ban on the 'hax moves' was because I wanted to eliminate as much luck as possible.

Also Garchomp was proven to centralize OU and as such was banned.

If you guys are still interested, the tournament can of course be moved forward.

eroki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malta
Hi,
I'd love to join but i can only go online monday to sunday from about 15:00 to 22:00 gmt +1
frown.gif
and i'd have to withdraw my team from my pokemon ranch
pm me if there's any updates on the day please
thanks
eroki
ps my younger brother would like to join as well but he needs to make a pokesav team from scratch cos he hasn't got a good enough team atm

mewcuss

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'd like to be in a future tournament as well, please. I've not had much experience with 'competitive' battling but I reckon it would be a good laugh.
I can make most nights (UK & US)except Sundays usually.
Just PM me if you want me in and tell me when it is and what the tournament rules are.

Many many thanks.

kevenka

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Aren't there moves to get rid of evasion? I believe it is kind of stupid to put a ban on any move since it doesn't allow people to exploit it...they are meant to be abuse and countered(meta constantly changes). (I think it was haze that cured status changes) and as for the horn drill scenerio, the percent of hitting isn't all that great, and if they want to take a chance to win with it...let them, they fail, you win(the game has always been around chance, and playing with horndrill is a gamble like any other high level moves). When you say no items...do you mean they can't hold items? If so, why? Allow people to abuse the game, you just have to work around it (find all sorts of crazy tricks right?)
Doesn't the skill go away when you limit the possible variables in the game?
P.S. Can anyone explain why wabbefet is imba?
Thanks,
Kevin

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :blush::shy::wink::evil: