Suggestion GBAtemp new user guide

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by mashers, May 27, 2016.

1. mashers
    OP

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    I've been working on this for fun this morning. It guides new users through finding a relevant topic, tutorial or web site about what they want to know. This can be easily expanded to include new consoles, exploits, or topics. I'm hosting it on my web site for now, but I think it would be great if integrated somehow into this site to guide new users to existing information. This could reduce thread duplication and help new users to find information quickly.

http://itrainapp.com/temp/

Any feedback from fellow users as well as mods would be welcome! :)

2. mgrev

mgrev Music Addict, Video Game Fanatic

GBAtemp Patron
    mgrev is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 13, 2015
    Norway
    Under Tomato Hentai's stairs
    A great idea!

3. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    I recommend saving these files as UTF-8 or UTF-16.
    [​IMG]

There's a few pages that say "Show a brief guide on how and where to post questions, and a link to the forum" which should do something when published. Other than that, looks good for a POC!

4. mashers
    OP

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    @mgrev
    Thanks! :)

@UniqueGeek
    Yeah I know about the character encoding. It doesn't have an html doctype since the idea is that it would be shown within a div hovering over the main page (so would inherit the doctype from the index page). This would sort out the encoding. I know about the placeholder pages which are not yet functional - I would need guidance from the community and mods as to what should go on those pages before writing them.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I am hoping that BBCode anchors (also called 'gotos') can be added to this forum. I have linked to @JJTapia19's homebrew tutorial in various places, and would like to be able to link directly to the instructions for a specific entrypoint.

5. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Slapping a bunch of hyperlinks to threads for the most basic of noob questions is indeed a good idea.
    I'm up for helping if you need any.

6. mashers
    OP

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Thanks. I was hoping for mod feedback as there's no point spending any more time on this unless there's a chance of it being incorporated into the site.