Question GBAtemp.net Privacy Policy ?!

• Thread starter a9lh-1user
  • Start date
  • Views 2,342
  • Replies 25
A

a9lh-1user

OP
I understand what's writen there ..... but can anyone tell me why i ONLY have "YES" as an option for cookies?
If i dont want that it's there all the time and i can only accept it with YES to get it out of the way.

Is it only me or did i miss something?!

P.S. i dont think it is an "Option" if i only have a YES ;)

Last edited by ,

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think usually its like "by using the site you agree with this"
So if you don't agree, don't use the site.

A

a9lh-1user

OP
Nz45VMS.png

Maybe that will explain it better :)

It is NOT an option if there is only a YES button! (and there is a question "What if i'am not ok with it?!)

A

a9lh-1user

OP
Nice ..... i think it not a good idea to make a new thread with a serious question!
I DONT want to leave GBAtemp I LIKE IT!
I dont need advice how to close my browser! (Or which system has what button on which side!)

I asked a seriousd question and all i get is (mostly) trolls that make jokes about my question or FORCE me to leave (3 times).

Sorry but that's not what i've expected! (PLEASE dont write AGAIN "Welcome to GBAtemp)

A

a9lh-1user

OP
Becaue i am asked "Are you okay with that" then there should be an option to choose from YES or NO.
If i click the NO button no cookie will be made and it never pops up again.
But i've only a YES button to click on.
Thats why i've asked about it ...... now i know it was a BIG mistake :)

D

Deleted User

OP
it would have to make a cookie in order to know that you clicked no... and legit EVERY website on the internet uses cookies.. so it would be a bit redundant to block them...

Reactions: MichiS97 and Seriel
A

a9lh-1user

OP
There are many sites on the net without cookies. (even shopping sites where you basket is filled an you can buy this stuff WITHOUT cookies!)
And if you deaktivate the option "save cookies" in your browser you can surf as normal as before (on most of the sites!).
But my question stil is "If i get an option to choose from why is there only an YES button".

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If that is trolling then... actually just revisit your definition. You say you asked a serious question and maybe you did at first, however upon getting a serious answer your responses could be forgiven for appearing to be silly in the eyes of others, I would have gone with misinformed but to each their own. Either way if the OP starts the silliness then others are typically allowed to then join in.

I suppose cookies are not a fundamental portion of site operations (maybe login creds, maybe preferences (some are account/server side) and probably some cover your arse in case the wiki or a subdomain or advert network or something in the future tries to set cookies. Thusly a cookieless version of the site might be possible, however as in the end it is mainly just forums for fairly light conversation for the most part (so not a bank, not a dating platform or similar, no a thing with terribly sensitive info as the main point) it was probably deemed enough that people who care would not make up enough of the visitor base to bother. To that end the token effort was done to comply with EU cookie directive ( https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-pecr/cookies-and-similar-technologies/ ) and accept, live with the banner or leave the site was deemed a suitable selection of options, and leave is always an option -- it is the same line of logic that says if there is nothing on TV then turn it off.

A

a9lh-1user

OP
Thank you for the explanation.
But please tell me one thing: "If there is an question that say's "We use cookies! Are you okay with that?" why is there only ONE option to choose from?"
Maybe it is a silly question. But none of you has answered my question.

I apologize for writing that most people that answered are trolls!
But not everything is black or white or on or off.
And if i ask a question (that is still not answered) and my only option given is to "leave" the page or "close" my browser than i've a BIG understanding problem.

Still i dont think it is a silly question ..... but if so it could be closed. (If no one could or will answer my question i ask a MOD to close it!)

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight
D

Deleted-379826

OP
Thank you for the explanation.
But please tell me one thing: "If there is an question that say's "We use cookies! Are you okay with that?" why is there only ONE option to choose from?"
Maybe it is a silly question. But none of you has answered my question.

I apologize for writing that most people that answered are trolls!
But not everything is black or white or on or off.
And if i ask a question (that is still not answered) and my only option given is to "leave" the page or "close" my browser than i've a BIG understanding problem.

Still i dont think it is a silly question ..... but if so it could be closed. (If no one could or will answer my question i ask a MOD to close it!)
There is only 1 "option" because if you don't accept the site cannot work properly therefore you must leave. You either click Yes and never let it bother you again or just never visit here again

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Wasn't trolling, but definitely wasn't useful either. That kind of replies just pass our users as unwelcome smart-asses.

@a9lh-1user
Your question is a legit one, but that's how 99% of the sites using cookies work. There's no "I don't want cookies" button (never seen one myself), the only option is that you either accept them or you close the website.

Cookies are essential for most websites to work, and it's the same here. Unless a site is built from the ground-up for a cookieless use, disabling them will just break the entire website. That's why you don't get a "no" option :)

A

a9lh-1user

OP
Thanks for that answer!
I can live with it ;)
Everytime i close (one) of my browsers the cookies will deleted anyway ...... so no problem from that!
And again i like GBAtemp because i like knowledge and helping and that @raulpica was a big help :)

Reactions: raulpica

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,
Reactions: a9lh-1user

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
On pming a moderator or such then I would say don't unless it is a truly serious thing (malware found somewhere or something), in which case the report button would probably do. There are plenty

On options vs just leaving then here is a message from my inbox earlier today
Screenshot_2016-08-04_00-21-25.png

That would be Microsoft and one of their bigger online services saying "like it or lump it".

Here is google and one of their bigger services (not sure about numbers/earnings but google play/android store is hardly an afterthought/vanity project)

Screenshot_2016-08-04_00-23-59.png

Not quite the same but still "like it or lump it" would be accurate.

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There was some program I got before which said you could request a refund if you don't agree with tge terms Lol.
Can't remember what program it was though

Reactions: Deleted-379826

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr