GBATemp Mobile

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 2,661
  • Replies 18
D

Deleted User

OP
It crossed my mind today. GBATemp was lacking a mobile version of itself, a version like FaceBook Mobile. A significantly low-bandwidth site for GPRS, GSM, 3G devices and poor-quality wifi adapters, like the one in the DS and the PSP.

A mobile version of GBATemp would effectively allow access to GBATemp from users of the DS using homebrew browsers like DSHobro, Bunjalloo, and, of course Opera/DSi Browser, and their PSP counterparts quickly and efficiently.

I propose that such a service be reserved to members of GBATemp only, and be an exact, live copy of the original GBATemp forum, but in mobile form, just like FaceBook mobile, to eliminate the need of two moderation teams.

I'm not sure how to implement the portal - or my idea, in any case, but I thought that suggesting doesn't really matter that much, so I'll voice my idea to have a simple no-frills forum. No avatars, no signatures, just text and boxes to separate posts. I'm not even sure such technology exists, but it's an idea that I think is OK.

This is just a suggestion. If it's been asked before, or can't be done, then screw you. It's just a suggestion.

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
there used to be a gbatemp mobile,dunno what happened to it.

Wumga for news.(don't bother trying to post,it will load gbatemp if you click on a link...)
Lo-fi version for the whole forum,but also no posting.

D

Deleted User

OP
Gaydrian said:
http://mobile.gbatemp.net/

Been years since I last used it, anything mobile I use can view the place just fine.
Yup, it needs a renovation.

Wunga.com just provides links to posts. It isn't a complete lo-fi forum...

(How long has 'Temp mobile been under maintenance for?)

tijntje_7

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
^ The mobile.gbatemp.net doesn't work on my iPod...
Talking about the iPod
tongue.gif

Tapatalk, I'm not sure if it supports gbatemp, but I guess it does
smile.gif

Walthor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
not sure what forum software gbatemp is using but i'm guessing it is invision board or phpbb, most of the times, for famous forum software(like the ones i named above) there are people who create templates. Maybe a mobile template could provide the solution.

just a thought
smile.gif

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Walthor said:
not sure what forum software gbatemp is using but i'm guessing it is invision board or phpbb, most of the times, for famous forum software(like the ones i named above) there are people who create templates. Maybe a mobile template could provide the solution.

just a thought
smile.gif
Were running on IPB 2.3.x I believe.

We also have a Lo-Fi version btw (the link seems to be missing on the v3 skin)

D

Deleted_171835

OP
tj_cool said:
Walthor said:

just a thought
smile.gif
We should be on IPB3.
When is GBATemp going to upgrade?

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There's a lot of customisation here; in the end it could be quite complicated to upgrade, when we can stay here. No need to rule out IPB3 entirely though.

Walthor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
tj_cool said:
Walthor said:

just a thought
smile.gif

the lowfi version doesn't have the ability to post reply's or threads.

while googeling, i came upon this site : http://www.aqua-soft.org/forum/topic/53020...ipb-3-released/
although its a thing for the ipb 3 version, maybe some one could create something similar for gbatemp?

D

Deleted User

OP
Walthor said:
tj_cool said:
Walthor said:

just a thought
smile.gif

the lowfi version doesn't have the ability to post reply's or threads.

while googeling, i came upon this site : http://www.aqua-soft.org/forum/topic/53020...ipb-3-released/
although its a thing for the ipb 3 version, maybe some one could create something similar for gbatemp?
Well, I'm sure upgrading would cost, right? If it did, I'm sure we'd all be happy to chip in with a bit. An upgrade to IPB3.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
JetKun said:
Well, I'm sure upgrading would cost, right? If it did, I'm sure we'd all be happy to chip in with a bit. An upgrade to IPB3.
IIRC, admins don't want people donating.
They have ShopTemp now anyway.

Walthor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
JetKun said:

uhm, sorry but i didn't mean upgrading to new version, just thought that maybe could someone with skills could port it(or something like that) for the version that gbatemp is running
This version is running good right? why upgrade something thats not broken
tongue.gif

but back to topic.
last time i ran a ipb forum( to test things out and such) there was an admin panel where you could copy a template, and after that you could edit it, otherwise i'm confused with some other forum software thingy.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I don't see the need for a mobile version of the temp, really. As prowler said, we don't need any more of those 'postcount+1' posts, as the amount of text you can type on a mobile device is very limited. So, basically, you wouldn't be able to post more than a couple of sentences.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse