Status
Not open for further replies.

GBAtemp is now in TEMPORARY MODE

triangle-1708857_1280.jpg

UPDATE 23/09: we are now in temporary mode. The migration is in progress. Have fun and make sure to read the message below if you don't know what's going on!

Dear Tempers,

In the coming days, GBAtemp is going to perform the long awaited upgrade to Xenforo 2, which will bring forth a ton of exciting improvements and new features. This operation will be long and complex; it will span over several days and mobilize our entire team.

Normally, we would take the site offline and perform the upgrade behind the scenes, and offer you the usual 'maintenance' page while you wait. But considering how long this operation will take, we have decided to keep the entire site and forums online, except it will be in 'TEMPORARY MODE'.

What's the (GBA)TEMPorary mode? While we perform the upgrade, anything and everything you post, edit, or contribute to the site in any way, will be lost once we finish the migration.
  • Later this week, we will be making a snapshot of the site and database
  • We will start displaying a 'TEMPORARY MODE' banner at the top of the site, on every page
  • We will be working hard behind the scenes to finalize the migration, which will take a few days
  • Once we're done, GBAtemp will be available in its new form, and all the data will be back to where it was earlier this week. Anything you posted or edited while the site was in TEMPORARY MODE will be gone.
An announcement will be made after the migration with more information on the new features and improvements. If you're confused, feel free to ask questions here and we'll keep an updated FAQ in this thread.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Q. Are we in TEMPORARY MODE yet?
No, it hasn't started. When it starts, there will be a very obvious banner at the top of every page.

Q. When is it starting?
If all goes well, later this week, but we are rehearsing at the moment so we don't know the exact day it will start.

Q. How long will it last?
It could take up to several days. We will keep you informed.

Q. What is the TEMPORARY MODE again?
When the TEMPORARY MODE is enabled, everything you post, edit, delete, will be gone after we complete the migration. That's because we have chosen to run the upgrade based on a snapshot of the database rather than to run it "live" which would require turning the site completely offline for several days.

Q. After the migration, will GBAtemp still be the same as it was before?
In terms of data, everything will be the same way it was before TEMPORARY MODE started. In terms of features, some minor features will no longer be available such as theme colors customizations (we may bring these back but it will take time so you may want to make a record of your current customisations). Also, please note the Game Center will not be available immediately after the migration, it will take some time until we can rebuild the add-on for XF2. Nothing else will be missing. But there will be plenty of new cool stuff!

Q. What can we do while the site is in TEMPORARY MODE?
You can do everything you would normally do, but keeping in mind everything you post will be lost. So make sure to save anything important to repost it after the migration. Please stick to the rules, we understand you might be tempted to turn the entire site into the EOF, but it would just make our lives harder. Any serious violation of the rules will result in a warning/suspension/ban that will be carried over to the migrated board.

Last edited by Costello,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
oh, nice, it's finally here :)

There are not a lot of changes visually, but it's time to take few screenshot of the current visual, for historic reason (for the wiki :P)
There are always users asking how it was before.

I guess making it temporary is better than making it read only, to still see important news or stay sociably available.
But keeping it online is a good idea, as I often need some information or links and like to find that here quickly, I'm sure a lot of users would appreciate it won't be offline for days.

Last edited by Cyan,

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I'm suspicious of this temporary period. Does it have anything to do with 5G and mind control?
Programming these features takes time in order to work around all the protections users have put in place.
But worry not, you wouldn't tell a difference once it's all done.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
:O Does this mean My Own Blogs will be deleted? :unsure:
Just in case people look at the thread without reading the OP:

Q. Are we in TEMPORARY MODE yet?

No, it hasn't started. When it starts, there will be a very obvious banner at the top of every page.

Q. When is it starting?
If all goes well, later this week, but we are rehearsing at the moment so we don't know the exact day it will start.

Q. How long will it last?
It could take up to several days. We will keep you informed.

Q. What is the TEMPORARY MODE again?
When the TEMPORARY MODE is enabled, everything you post, edit, delete, will be gone after we complete the migration. That's because we have chosen to run the upgrade based on a snapshot of the database rather than to run it "live" which would require turning the site completely offline for several days.

Q. After the migration, will GBAtemp still be the same as it was before?
In terms of data, everything will be the same way it was before TEMPORARY MODE started. In terms of features, some minor features will no longer be available such as theme colors customizations (we may bring these back but it will take time). Also, please note the Game Center will not be available immediately after the migration, it will take some time until we can rebuild the add-on for XF2. Nothing else will be missing. But there will be plenty of new cool stuff!

Q. What can we do while the site is in TEMPORARY MODE?
You can do everything you would normally do, but keeping in mind everything you post will be lost. So make sure to save anything important to repost it after the migration. Please stick to the rules, we understand you might be tempted to turn the entire site into the EOF, but it would just make our lives harder. Any serious violation of the rules will result in a warning/suspension/ban that will be carried over to the migrated board.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

doubtful. I assume they're going to make a database backup, that's why stuff won't care over, because it will be input into the new xenforo 2. stuff added in between won't be a part of it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

funny thing is I think the lack of a backup was what caused wiiso to go under. I was friends with one of its administrators, and the owners almost never, if ever, made a backup of that site specifically. when it got hacked, and the database was deleted, it was a shell of a site. lol

Reactions: AncientBoi

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Just wait until you get the surprise he is from Mumbai /s
Oh man... will my 65k+ warning points get deleted with the new update? :tpi:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

we understand you might be tempted to turn the entire site into the EOF
:tpi:
Any serious violation of the rules will result in a warning/suspension/ban that will be carried over to the migrated board
:angry:

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Thinking about making alt accounts.
An EOF thread with offensive content.
Spamming questionable sites/content...

I dunno... trynna pushing the rules limits :unsure:

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw, that's a lot of warning points. :P whenever I find myself about to get into an argument, I just the person on my ignore list. I didn't use to do that, and I got in trouble on multiple sites. :)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm suspicious of this temporary period. Does it have anything to do with 5G and mind control?
Technically yes. The pathetic bandwidth and range of 5g is too little for the present methods of mind control so the process was optimised for the correspondingly lower bandwidth, range and dropout issues.

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Technically yes. The pathetic bandwidth and range of 5g is too little for the present methods of mind control so the process was optimised for the correspondingly lower bandwidth, range and dropout issues.
How much bandwidth we need to mind control FAST6191?
5+G?
10G?
G-string?

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure. Will clarify soon.
Will the level system be effected? I've worked hard to maintain a certain integrity to level 12 and it's members that it consist of. Truth be told since the news broke about this update my fellow level 12s have voiced some concerns over the changeover that they will be left behind or forgotten about to some extent.

I wish the best of luck to the admins and mods as they prepare to mobilize across the globe to make sure this transition to the new forum software version is as smooth as possible.
Levels and XP will carry over.

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can tell you in advance that the site layout will remain pretty much unchanged after the upgrade. The biggest changes will come from the new features and improvements.
Will the bug that the site bounces up and down if you have ads be fixed?

Also, what do you think of a temporary bounty? Like a game jam but for artwork too, and everything's gone when the update is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr